• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wednesday Coro-Plane update. She's In!!

ddubia

We now have the power plant with a custom built 48" prop. A shiny new $3k engine for the plane. Getting down to the wire. If all goes well we will fly her on July 4th with video of course.

I'm having trouble viewing the attachments properly.

In one I see an extremely cool looking little engine with a prop laying beside it. But in the other three all is see is two nuts messing with what looks like an airplane made out of coroplast. Surely this can't be real. :wink:

Seriously though, it looks great. It's obvious a lot time, thought, money and beer went into this project. I wish you all the luck July 4th and hopefully the video shows a fully intact pilot jumping out after landing pumping his fist in the air. :thumb:

rm25x

wow the craftsmanship is amazing considering what your making it from. Need vid for sure when you go to fly it. I think it will fly, the only thing that worries me is the wheels. Need some kind of suspension system for landing as well. It may be there and I am not seeing it though?

threads1

What type of motor is that? Doesn't look like a Rotax. Very clean looking. I'm sure you have already but, be sure to do some reading on "crow-hops". It's a safe way to test airworthyness in the beginning. I built an airplane once and it was a blast to fly...wish I still had it.

FatCat

I gotta' say I've been following all of this since it began - and I am amazed you guys STILL plan to do this. Overall I think it's wicked cool and really shows a lot of guts and determination. :thumb:

SignManiac sending nothing but well wishes your way. Good luck to you and the pilot on it's maiden voyage!
:rock-n-roll: :rock-n-roll: :rock-n-roll: :rock-n-roll: :rock-n-roll:

ericmitchell29

Are you guys doing a video documentary of this along the way? Man I hope so. I'd love to see the process you went through and the flight.

Have fun guys, be safe.

Eric

SignManiac

What type of motor is that? Doesn't look like a Rotax. Very clean looking. I'm sure you have already but, be sure to do some reading on "crow-hops". It's a safe way to test airworthyness in the beginning. I built an airplane once and it was a blast to fly...wish I still had it.

Here are the specs on the motor.

http://www.compactradialengines.com/mz34.html

SignManiac sending nothing but well wishes your way. Good luck to you and the pilot on it's maiden voyage!
:rock-n-roll: :rock-n-roll: :rock-n-roll: :rock-n-roll: :rock-n-roll:

Thank you FatCat!

Tim Aucoin

I'm rootin' for ya SignManiac! I think what you've built deserves nothing but respect and applause! :clapping::clapping: I'll be in Seattle on the 4th of July getting ready to board a cruise. I'll be bringing my iPad and watching for your video! I can't wait to show it off to everyone I can. I'm sure you'll make us all proud!

Have you contacted your local media at all? Honestly... this is a project that is worthy of being shown on A&E or National Geographic channel. I think what you're doing is amazing and would fascinate many, many people!!! :rolleyes:

SignManiac

Thanks everyone for the positive moral support! I've spent my entire life doing everything I was told not to do. It's paid off a hundred fold. As a former skydiver with a couple of thousand jumps, there's a saying that goes....

Attachments

• !WP-006.jpg
    !WP-006.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 100

CES020

I've spent my entire life doing everything I was told not to do.

Do NOT send me all your money :Big Laugh Repeat, Do NOT send me all your money :)

Good luck with the flight. As someone that's flown planes before, I've really enjoyed watching this. I hope it goes well for all. As long as the number of landings equal the number of take offs, you're all set :)

J Hill Designs

Do NOT send me all your money :Big Laugh Repeat, Do NOT send me all your money :)

Good luck with the flight. As someone that's flown planes before, I've really enjoyed watching this. I hope it goes well for all. As long as the number of landings equal the number of take offs, you're all set :)

...and as long as that number > 0

...and as long as those aren't crash landings

:thumb:

Craig Sjoquist

It's great that you are coming this close to finishing that's the best part chasing that squirrel gee after you completed and fly this great coroplas challenge what next, always keep chasing that squirrel I say.

I do hope it fly's better then you expect that would really be cool to many nasayers in this world prove them wrong if ya have a problem fix it find away to solve it create a fix for problems not run from them.

SignManiac

Tomorrow we start to mount the engine. Making a few mods to insure we don't have any structural failures. Most of the building is done, so we don't have any really new photos to post other than a bunch of empty beer bottles.

Last Wednesday, we did all the final tweaking on the controls and they work even better now. Full three axis control system.