Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weird banding in white area

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by bigben, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I have an HP L26500, using a new synthetic paper and have created my own profile. For some reason if I print something with heavy covering beside a white part. I will have fine banding in the white part where there supposed to have no ink. It's not very noticable, but I can wipe the banding with my finger.

Here is the best picture I could take. You can barely see it, but it is more noticeable in person. I've never experienced this before. What could be the problem and solution?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    So when you print pure white next to a block of color, for instance, the white has a slight hue to it the first few passes?

Could be a static/overspray issue? Some of the CMYK inks getting on the white heads and creating a slight off color for the first few passes. That would be my best guess.

3. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    This is exactly what happen and is exactly what I suspect (static/overspray). How can I manage this?

4. DerbyCitySignGuy

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    I know you said it's paper, but can you treat the area with an anti-static spray before printing (easier said than done on a roll to roll machine)?

Short of keeping your print room at 70 degrees and 50% humidity, I've never found a perfect way to deal with static.

5. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    I don't think it's overspray. If it looks like banding my guess would be optimizer. Optimizer is clear but certain substrates you can see it. Also if you have a vector that is colored white there is a lot of times where the HP will lay down optimizer but no color. My guess is you have a banding issue with your optimizer head and you can see it in the blank areas.

6. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    With the winter right now, it's very dry in the shop. This is why I think it is a static problem. I've just printed the same thing to a regular vinyl and there was no problem at all.

I can't be the optimiser. My latex model (L26500) don't have the optimizer.

7. DerbyCitySignGuy

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    Yeah, paper sucks up moisture too. Run a humidifier full blast while printing?

8. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I will go buy one first and see what happen.

9. Jay Grooms

Jay Grooms Printing, Printing, Printing......

Nov 20, 2018
    Burlington Wisconsin
    and all night, and all weekend...... I don't think it'll ever warm up enough for us to turn our humidifiers off. I just love living in a cold dry tundra......

• Like Like x 1