Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird problem with Avast & Prevx?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Jillbeans, May 26, 2011.

  1. Jillbeans

    Jillbeans Major Contributor

    Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Ok so this morning I had an email alert from Prevx, which I got after I had the bad nasty evil rootkit last fall.
    So this morning I checked my email as I always do first thing, and I got this message:
    So I followed its steps.
    Then I notice my Avast has been disabled.
    There was no way I could find to re-enable it so I downloaded a new version of it.
    But Prevx blocks it, saying it's bad.
    So I unplugged the WWW and temporarily disabled Prevx, but Windows won't install it either.
    So all I have running is the Prevx as an antivirus.
    Is this good enough?
    I did temp file cleaner, ccleaner, superantispyware,and antimalwarebytes.
    They all were clear.
    And the Prevx scan revealed 14 files.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. P Wagner

    P Wagner Very Active Member

    Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    While I'm not really familiar with Prevx, a cursory review of their site indicates that it is an anti-virus (as well as other forms of malware) product. Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to be running multiple anti-virus products on the same system, as they tend to conflict with each other.
  3. Techman

    Techman Major Contributor

    Jun 24, 2003
    Lose Prevx and update Avast..
  4. The Big Squeegee

    The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

    Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    I have had a few attacks from emails lately. If the email only contains a link....don't click on it! If it looks like someone you know, ask them if they sent it. Chances are they didn't.

    One of them contained a virus that put up false "worm" detection and demanded payment to get rid of them. A CONT/ALT/DEL was needed to get out of it. I then ran the anti-malware program and got rid of it.