• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird problem with Avast & Prevx?

Jillbeans

Ok so this morning I had an email alert from Prevx, which I got after I had the bad nasty evil rootkit last fall.
So this morning I checked my email as I always do first thing, and I got this message:
Prevx Malware Monitor has detected new malware infections within your operation.

1 System is infected

System:DFB51DD1, was infected in the last few minutes
So I followed its steps.
Then I notice my Avast has been disabled.
There was no way I could find to re-enable it so I downloaded a new version of it.
But Prevx blocks it, saying it's bad.
So I unplugged the WWW and temporarily disabled Prevx, but Windows won't install it either.
So all I have running is the Prevx as an antivirus.
Is this good enough?
I did temp file cleaner, ccleaner, superantispyware,and antimalwarebytes.
They all were clear.
And the Prevx scan revealed 14 files.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jill

While I'm not really familiar with Prevx, a cursory review of their site indicates that it is an anti-virus (as well as other forms of malware) product. Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to be running multiple anti-virus products on the same system, as they tend to conflict with each other.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I have had a few attacks from emails lately. If the email only contains a link....don't click on it! If it looks like someone you know, ask them if they sent it. Chances are they didn't.

One of them contained a virus that put up false "worm" detection and demanded payment to get rid of them. A CONT/ALT/DEL was needed to get out of it. I then ran the anti-malware program and got rid of it.