• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird sounds appearing or disappearing from jv3 printers.

Redz Signs Inc.

Ok i was speaking to Artbot and we thought it would be a good idea to make a thread about this..

well i started to print a 28ft print. about 3/4 of the way im in the other room and i dident hear that anoying loud noise that printer makes when going right to left. so i was like man that was a fast 28ft so i walked into the room and its still printing:omg2:. at first glance i thought i was crazy and breathed in to much fumes today. but NO it was so quiet i thought what broke now but nothing????? its printing the sames as it started sooooo how does it go from a deisel truck to a "bmw" <~~~artbots thought. as far as sound comparison. but havent had any problems at all .

if you have any weird noises coming and going please post to this thread so we can get the mimaki monkeys to stop making noise for more "green bananas"..

Dice

After we changed the y motor on our jv33 it makes a bit of a different sound. Possible lube issue, or one of the belts was rubbing and then it wasn't.

Stripeman

I wish mine would quiet down a bit. I didnt realize how loud it had become until I got another machine up and running. Its so quite compared to our original. Both are JV3s but the quite one is a 25o whereas the loud one is a 160. I would think the longer travel would warrant a little more noise.

I am very hesitant to oil up anything so I dont have splatter on my prints. Any favorite lubes/procedures out there?

Redz Signs Inc.

i ue 3 in 1 oil. but to much:omg2: it drops on the roller and makes a 1 ft mark up the print it sux so u clean the rails with alcohol and put oil on my finger and slightly oil the rails then let the head do the rest to smear around . but any other oiling procedures would be nice to know so if you got em share em .

ChicagoGraphics

My JV3 isin't that loud but from time to time it makes this high pitched sounds, has something to do with the belt I was told. I use 3 in 1 oil, I put it on a paper towel and run in across the 2 chrome rails. You can also put some oil use a paper towel though and rub it on the bottom of where your ink lines are, was told it wont wear the plastic belt out as fast.

Redz Signs Inc.

@ chicago I tryed that oil on the deck for the belt i dont like doing that because it tends to attract dust and build up grime. therfore causing it to wear faster with the grit fronm the dirt in the oil underneath the belt. i just clean that deck with 90% isopropyl alcohol at least once a week . u can tell when it needs cleaned cause it sound raspy when it prints. but if you continue to clean it regularly and watch for build up with the oil i think your right about the wear it would be less but you have to do it twice as much. as aposed to keeping it dry i thought about powder grafite for that but i think i could get messy..

artbot

i'm wondering if it's a belt noise. it's more likely that the belt can suddenly stretch to the perfect length thereby allowing all the teeth to meet up perfectly instead of thousands of micro chirps per second. mine did this about 6 months ago. i started using "fast print" and since then all speeds seem to run quieter. maybe the fast print heated up the belt a little and let it stretch?

i had an encad that would get progressively louder as the belt wore out. at a certain point, i knew to just order one. i threw belts all the time on that piece of junk. funny, i'm considering buying an old 880 and turning it into a large format 3d printer (if possible).

Redz Signs Inc.

@ artbot thats funny i was just looking at 880 encad on ebay:ROFLMAO:.
there a goos way to make a cheap project and if it works then great..

MikePro

i buy a few dozen white cotton gloves from Farm&Fleet for like $0.30 each.... couple of drops of 3in1 on the fingertips and I lube the rails sometimes even during a print!

I get like 3 or 4 lubes a month in before I toss the gloves. Well worth the investment, since you can get behind the rails with your pinky finger and not just concentrate on what you can dab at with a rag.

NEGD

My Jv3 is always loud and I'm close enough to it that clients and co-workers comment on the noise over the phone. When you figure out what it is, PLEASE let me know :)

But on a serious note... when we had the technician here a little while back, he said something about the motor going and that's why the noise was louder then it should be. I'm not sure of that's helpful, but we didn't replace the motor so I can't comment on if it should be making any less noise then it is currently.

When it's done printing, maybe turn it off and move the carriage by hand. See if it makes the noise if it moves slower or faster then the print speed?!?

Redz Signs Inc.

@ negd its been the same as you with phone calls it sux... but the sound has allways been the same untill last night and it went stealth! litteraly. but i will keep everyone posted..

Redz Signs Inc.

well i guess it was to good to be true. fired it up today ran my test draw. did a cleaning. and then a print and the frickin locomotive was back in action:banghead:.. o well at least this time it dident cost any money .

radiohead223

if it's a noise that comes and goes at the moment that is sounding like it could be good to track it down.

my thoughts would be to look at cable tray where all the ink lines run as the head move back and forth. maybe there is something in there like a little screw or plastic that broken loose.

also just remember "If it ain't broke don't fix"

gabagoo

Mine is not that noisy, I oil the rails once a week.

What I do notice is that the fans on the front have a pitch that makes talking on the phone difficult. Almost like a noise block out effect.

genericname

Sewing machine oil is the best to be used on the rails.
+1

One of our JV3's screams as the carriage moves, which we thought was normal until we purchased the second machine, and it printed whisper quiet.

A tech we had in a little while ago told us it was the motor on its last legs, but it's been printing consistently at that volume for the entirety of the time that I've been here (over three years now), so I'm starting to think it's just the bearings, which I would much rather replace than the motor anyhow.

As for the locomotive sound, was it a kind of catching or ratcheting noise? If so, I had it happen a while back, and figured it was the cable cage dragging against the vertical support that holds up the center of the case. I pulled it out, sawed off the front edge, re-installed it backwards, and the cage never hit the support again, silencing the ratchet effect.