• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Well..Texas has power now but......

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Living just North of the Red River here in Okie Country there have been plenty of times I've been jealous of Texas. NOT THIS TIME! Holy Geez Louise!

We have quite a few nearly empty grocery store shelves up here in Oklahoma. I visited one of our local grocery stores earlier this evening and I was a bit surprised which aisles were the most empty (the ones with soup and ramen were cleaned out). On the very bright side we at least have electricity pretty much state-wide. There are some serious water service outages in localized places. The town of Frederick near Lawton won't have water until Sunday at the earliest due to a pipe break that flooded equipment in a pumping station. Thousands of homes and businesses across the region have leaking or burst pipes from record setting cold. Lawton set a new all time record low of -12°F early Tuesday morning. We were below zero for the third time this week early Friday morning. Lawton was below freezing for a record setting 274 hours straight until Friday afternoon. The previous record was 96 hours below freezing. This polar vortex was one for the history books.

Personally, several of my co-workers are dealing with catastrophic plumbing issues. Our sales manager hasn't had running water in his house since the start of the work week. He'll only know where his pipes are leaking or burst when they finally thaw. I'm doing alright only by the virtue of having to watch-dog a laundry room in my garage that's prone to freeze. So I've been up and down through the nights, as if I'm taking care of a newborn baby, just trying to keep appliances and pipes from freezing. But my pipes are 100% good thanks to that round the clock attention. The big mistake so many have made was assuming their new-ish plumbing was up to the challenge and sleeping through the night, only to wake up and find things frozen.

There is probably going to be a lot of hell to pay in Texas for this power and water supply debacle. Oklahoma isn't so much different from Texas in terms of politics. But very much unlike Texas, Oklahoma is connected directly to the rest of the nation's electrical power grid. Oklahoma is part of the nation's Eastern power grid. There is a Western power grid for Western states. And then there is Texas, all separate unto itself, in part to avoid Federal regulations and oversight. We had one "planned" (or deliberate) rolling blackout here in Lawton early Monday afternoon. That was in response to grid strain happening in other neighboring states. The blackout lasted an hour. We've had power ever since. Texas has fared a lot worse. It's grimly funny how certain lawmakers attempted to blame the blackouts on frozen wind turbines when the real culprit was "freeze-outs" in the state's natural gas network.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Cause it rots the fastest. Most of the crap on the shelves will last about 50 years. Build and grow an orchard out back and cover your trees when it snows. Most vegetables will start producing the first year. Just protect it against rabbits, birds and all the other pests.
This year I need to can more. All my salsa and tomato based items are gone. I have a few jars of pickles left.

rjssigns

Folks in Texas can't catch a break. Seems like Oklahoma isn't far behind. Boggles the mind those types of issues are still around. Last I checked it's 2021 right?
Wonder if generator sales spiked too...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Folks in Texas can't catch a break. Seems like Oklahoma isn't far behind. Boggles the mind those types of issues are still around. Last I checked it's 2021 right?
Wonder if generator sales spiked too...

I bought one last Saturday and had to go all over the place to find it... that was BEFORE this whole thing.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hopefully you were able to find a dual-fuel...?
The one I ordered on Amazon was and it was supposed to be here last Friday and never showed up. Rushed around Saturday and was only able to get gas...it was slim pickens. I'll sell it if my Amazon one ever shows up

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I hope folks in Texas are better prepared if this happens again. Hopefully the past week has opened a few eyes.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I feel bad for those that bought into those Griddy ads... they have a five figure electric bill coming due...
whats a griddy ad? Like Green Mountain energy? I never steered off of the local energy service. Mainly because every time I would seek for "cheaper" service, the kwh were essentially the same. I looked at it like shopping for cell service and internet. All of them were essentially the same but different "base rates".

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You pay a small monthly service fee and they sell you power at market cost. Works great until something like this happens.

Exactly. The price of power changes every 10 minutes so when it's expensive you're supposed to curtail your usage. Sounds like a giant pain in the ass and one more thing to worry about. From the reviews I read you only save a few dollars a month. All that savings blew out the window last week. They paid $9/kwh. My rate is locked at 0.07 cents kwh.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The annoying part of it all is that these people knew what they were signing up for, were warned that this was going to happen and told to switch providers. Now they are all over crying the blues as if their cheap choice is somehow someone else's fault and they are a victim. Yawn, it's really old.