• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wet Application on Glass

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Cut letters on glass dry. I inform the client prior to install that there will be streaks from the install process, but they will go away in a day or so in the summer and a week in colder weather.

Large panels on glass I'll generally go wet for similar reasons as ISign.

When we have lots of etchlook solid coverage, we will install wet without application tape. Saves lots of time and money and its easy to do with a few tricks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Captain, I believe you got the responses you got because this is not in the 'Premium' section. I'm not pressuring you to be a 'Contributing Member’ or anything like that, but peoples’ fuses seem to be much shorter out here and they tend to bash a little harder.

As mentioned, don’t heat the glass up at all other than breathing on it.

Try to do it dry whenever possible, but also like mentioned, there’s always gonna be those times when you have to apply some extra ‘Oomph’. I generally just mist it lightly on the back of the vinyl and not on the glass so that it isn’t really wet, but just misty. This generally gives enough play so you can work it a little bit.

If you find yourself using too much juice and the graphics go down alright, just be sure to squeegee as much water out as you can. As iSign said, just go harder again and again. My tip would be, don’t worry about taking the application tape off if you don’t have to. Go back the next day if it gives you a problem. No sense in ruining a job if you can come back. If it’s out of the way to come back then either go for some lunch or ask the customer to remove it the next day.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No idea what plate glass is like in your area, but around here we get a fair share that doesn't like adhesives and acts like silicone release paper. Nothing really works well to improve it including cleaning, scrubbing and wiping with a variety of solvents that are sure to shorten your life. With glass like this, the best solution is to apply dry because your initial adhesion is marginal anyway ... although it does improve over time.

But there is also lots of plate glass that acts in a more traditional way where wet application can save time and improve initial appearance. Air temperature also plays a role. Warmer temps increase initial adhesion and colder temps decrease it.

We use a simple test to be able to tell the difference. Simply apply a piece of whatever masking tape you normally use to the glass and see how well it holds. If the bond is weak, expect the same when you apply vinyl and apply dry. If the bond is normal to aggressive, then you are okay to use wet if you prefer it.

The thing to avoid is a wet application on a marginal bond surface. It will cost you a lot of extra time or result in you making a return trip the next day.

ABPGraphics

What about etched vinyl......I personally HAVE TO APPLY WET or you see squeege marks.....how can you do this dry???????????

I say no way....I have tried it dry and it looked like $#@*

:)

omgsideburns

I'm a fan of wet application, and RapidTac...

Are you having problems removing the tape from the graphic? I've never had drying issues with RapidTac

Marlene

What about etched vinyl......I personally HAVE TO APPLY WET or you see squeege marks.....how can you do this dry???????????

wet for that stuff! I am installing some in the morning and will be covering an entire door with the logo reverse cut out and it will be done wet. for normal apps like door & window lettering always dry unless is is larger than I can deal with.

BobM

I use Rapid Tac 2 on larger areas. Follow the directions on their website. After appllication, spray a little RT 2 on the transfer tape, wait a few minutes (you'll see the tape lift a little), pull the transfer tape straight down gently but firmly. Never ever, ever, ever, heat glass, it's too hard to pick up all the little pieces or fill in all the cracks.

encadtech

I use window juice - I think it works better than rapid tac on glass because it doesn't dry out as fast. I apply 99.9% of my vinyl dry - When I apply large format etched glass on conference room windows - I go wet because every flaw is seen and it needs to be perfect. I usually top hinge my material dry for the 1" - then spray the window to assure that the tape does not let go in the middle of my install. GL

Billct2

As much as it pains me to say it...Rapid Tac II is the answer.

I made the mistake of doing a wet app in the cold on glasswith homemade juice early in the vinyl era, never did I do that again.

Billct2

The vinyl wouldn't stick, and the graphic had a bunch of little parts, after waiting half a day I went back , and even with spraying the app tape it was still pulling the vinyl up. I had to slowly remove the tape while holding all the little pieces down, it was a major pain , and a lesson learned.

KB Graphics

We have never had a problem installing wet when using either Rapid Tac or the Rapid Tac II on regular vinyl or etched. MacTac now has a bubble free etched vinyl so there is no need to apply wet. We have used it a few times and applied with no bubbles.:thumb:

johnnysigns

I thought window juice had some alcohol in it. I'd follow Freds suggestions, he nailed it.

Regarding etched glass media - oracal has an air egress version that's quite nice.

splizaat

I use window juice and even then, it's impossible to do a job immediately here in oregon unless it's the middle of summer and 85 degrees out. I know it's bad practice but if I have to install wet on glass IN A HURRY and it's single-color vinyl, I install, squeegee a ton and then let the paper sit over the top and tell the customer to gently peel it back in 1 day.

JAMEY

I install dry when I can and wet when I have to. I'll always use the hinge method when I can too. Once I get it all stuck down, I'll cut vertical slits where I can so I only have to hinge pieces of manageable size instead of doing the whole thing. Hinge from top....squeegee down.

This is a great thread.

Below is a pic of what I mean from the other day.

Attachments

• Photo081.jpg
    Photo081.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 106

Mal

I tried, but I just can't let this lie.

Hi cap'n. Just a note to say thanks for bringing your experience with this forum to light. It's a useful tool, but I hesitate to post questions due to the handful of self styled 'gurus' here who use a simple query as a soapbox to further their own fabulousness. I was going to post a very similar question about low temps, app fluid and etch film, but when i read your post, and the answers that were actually useful, I didn't need to.

I remember reading another thread a while ago, where the guy started it with, "Newbie question" and some jerk answers with "I stopped reading at 'newbie". He actually took the time to post that, instead of addressing the question. What an arrogant jack ass.

Hope your next question is deemed worthy by the Great Ones, lol.

--Mal (btw; ten years in this bizarre business, and still having questions, thank you.)