• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wet Application on Glass

heyskull

DRY for windows
Especially this time of year (cold) as you end up with enough water of condensation on the glass.

We have another local sign business in our area who fits window graphics and will leave the application tape on them for anything up to 2 weeks and then come and remove the application tape!!!!

I wish my customers were that patient!!

SC

GypsyGraphics

What about etched vinyl......I personally HAVE TO APPLY WET or you see squeege marks.....how can you do this dry???????????

I say no way....I have tried it dry and it looked like $#@*

:)

Even with etched I do dry unless it's a reverse out, covering a large area. Just did a fairly large one a week ago dry no problem. Posted pic of the small version, goofed it up but not anything to do with dry vs wet.

Sometimes if I let up on the mask during removal I'll get some little marks, but they disappear on their own with in a few days.

GypsyGraphics

I install dry when I can and wet when I have to. I'll always use the hinge method when I can too. Once I get it all stuck down, I'll cut vertical slits where I can so I only have to hinge pieces of manageable size instead of doing the whole thing. Hinge from top....squeegee down.

This is a great thread.

Below is a pic of what I mean from the other day.

I think it's great when members supply visuals, even when the description is pretty straight forward. I like seeing other's approach.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't quite get it. I didn't really see any really bad posts, but thought some might be a little harsh, but not to the effect that 'Mal' in post #40 had to respond in such a manner. Now, it's been a while since I first repsoned to this thread, but have some posts been deleted or sumptin ?? I don't get his insinuations at all ??

iSign

I don't quite get it. I didn't really see any really bad posts, but thought some might be a little harsh, but not to the effect that 'Mal' in post #40 had to respond in such a manner. Now, it's been a while since I first repsoned to this thread, but have some posts been deleted or sumptin ?? I don't get his insinuations at all ??
yeah, I re-read the whole thing too... but there was mention that captainRon got a nasty judgmental PM from someone... so maybe that, combined with whatever earlier experience Mal had, added up to "enough" ...and it's tru there was a lot of "dry, period!" types of answers when the question was clearly asking for application fluid advice... so mal has a point, without looking beyond to whatever else influenced his post.

astro8

Dry!...no that's crap...dry on small stuff and stuff you know you can get down easily and wet on etch/frost windows and any stuff that you need a bit of help with or 'give'.

It's not unusual for us to go through a full roll or even 2 of etch per week doing office/shop windows and it usually gets pre-cut and put on wet and goes on in no time at all and it's flawless.

So dry or wet to suit the application, why limit yourself?

I've seen etch that installers have proudly proclaimed they put down dry and apart from the bubbles, adhesive stress, bit's of s*** and wrinkles...it looked great.

GypsyGraphics

Dry!...no that's crap...dry on small stuff and stuff you know you can get down easily and wet on etch/frost windows and any stuff that you need a bit of help with or 'give'.

Yep, if you do a crappy job dry, best do wet.

So dry or wet to suit the application, why limit yourself?

Yes, why limit yourself. There are enough variables that claiming only one way to get the job ...that's crap.

I've seen etch that installers have proudly proclaimed they put down dry and apart from the bubbles, adhesive stress, bit's of s*** and wrinkles...it looked great.

So your saying these same installers, had they laid it wet, would have done a nice job???? ...that's crap.

jasonx

Pretty sure second surface applications should be done wet (ie etch, or anything applied on the inside of a window and seen from outside).

jasonx

So your saying these same installers, had they laid it wet, would have done a nice job???? ...that's crap.

I don't think its a case of the actual application. A lot of films when applied dry the adhesive stays streaked etc etc. When you apply it wet this does not occur. If you crease the material no matter what its going to be creased or if you leave water or air behind.

iSign

i think Astro is just saying that the whole egotistical "look at my bad self.. i apply dry" crap is ludicrious... as if a dry app is such a badge of honor that some of these clowns would brag about a reject job, just because it was dry.. not from adhesive streaks (whatever they are) just from a bubbly, wrinkly, dirtyass job resulting from some loser taking on the extra challenge of a dry app, and failing!

like gg and astro said, imposing imaginary limitations is the real sign of unprofessionalism... not the use of app fluid

GypsyGraphics

I have no idea of what point you're trying to make...please enlighten me.

Well since you said please, it'd be my pleasure to enlighten you...

I was agreeing with you on the "why limit yourself" except you contradict yourself by saying "Dry!...no that's crap." As if wet is the only way. There are several consideration, not the least of which is installer preference, that affect the final outcome.

I think your advice would be better received were it not presented as an absolute.

astro8

"Dry!...no that's crap."...merely jest, a dig at those hellbent on a dry application 'no matter what the cost'...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about others, but I don't think egos play a big part in any of these threads on the forum..... or at least they shouldn't. It seems more to be 'wannabe thinkers and doers' more than egos.

If it were one’s ego… that would surely represent the part of one’s knowledge being recognized as expert information and ramming it down one’s throat as the ‘ONLY’ way to do something.

Well, we all know there are many many ways to accomplish many of the tasks questioned here at 101 on a daily basis and if ego was the culprit, we’d be having lots of squabbles, name-calling and cyber mouths going 99% of the time. Do any of you see this happening ??

Trying to define, break down and dissect what someone is trying to ask goes beyond anyone’s ability here. Sometimes we guess correctly what the OP might be asking, but most of the time…. the OP’s can’t ask the way 1,000’s of people can relate to and thus we get all kinds of answers.

I think here with this thread, the OP has been answered quite well many times over, but if we are to answer his original request properly we must remember he asked first about ‘Wet Application on Glass’ which encompasses the whole gamut on doing this from ‘To Do or Not’ to ‘How’ using various methods.

He tells us it will be a wet application and explains that he‘s already bought the juice. He wants to know how it works… and then starts adding in more conditions to his project…. like its gonna be cold, should I warm the window… with a heat gun nonetheless and his last question being will window juice be Okay ?? He has elected to take any answer he gets because he’s asked his questions so many ways.

Now if he gets bent outa shape over certain answers and other posters like Mal…. his own signature states…. Remember, Common Sense Will Not Be Tolerated.
Now, who’s the one with an ego here and how can you answer someone that asks a loaded question and then takes exception to answers that are totally fitting and related to his question. Besides, there are many other members reading this and getting information and just because the OP doesn’t need t… it still serves the rest of the community. I would go as far as to make note, this is being asked out in the free section and possibly if the OP and Mal joined the ‘Premium’ section they would experience an even more in depth and mind boggling bunch of answers. Hey, like they say…. don’t knock it, til ya try it.

Mal

I should have added that the vast majority of posters here are reasonable, helpful and friendly. I just think that a PM sent to flame the OP for posing a question is out of line. That sort of thing makes people gun-shy, and if they hesitate to post their questions, whether seemingly obvious or assinine, then really, what is the point of this forum?

I don't think someone should have to join the premium section to experience common courtesy.

And you have to admit that a terse one word answer isn't really worth the effort of either posting or reading unless it's a poll.

just my two cents, I'm not trying to start any wars.

Merry Christmas/Everything---mal

copythat

Wet 4 me

Ron I suck at applying period! When ever I attempt to do it dry, I end up stretching the film too much and warp the image on the corners. So I need the wet application to help my sorry butt. I've seen others (3 or 4) applying in my area & they all used a spray bottle. But I believe that doing it dry will provide a better adhesion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Mal…. sorry, but you misunderstood again if you think I meant the ‘Premium’ section was to receive courteous answers. The courtesy part I agree with anywhere, unless otherwise stated or insinuated. The ‘Premium’ part was to get better understanding by many professionals in the know and more in depth answers to ALL kinds of questions at most any level of the industry. Again, Mal, I invite you to participate in the ‘Premium’ section for a period…. along with Cap’t.

I feel sorry for the nasty PM, but we’re all big boys and girls here and should be capable of fending for ourselves when such basic questions are asked.

Sometimes short is sweet and to the point and needs no further explanation…. unlike most of mine.

I don’t think anyone, or at least not me, was accusing you of starting wars, but when you imply such accusations as in #40 and then later retract or say something like ‘I should have added that …………….. is always grounds for scrutiny and you’re bound to have some fall-out on your end.

.... and a Merry Everything to you, too.

anotherdog

Wet (rapid tac) for windows, especially etch.

I'll do dry for smaller decals, but not panels

I just did an install on that teflon-like glass. A nightmare. I left it for 2 hours and still the vinyl came off with the release.

I'll try a few of these ideas though. My workshop windows are covered in tests.

Mal

Hey there again.

No retractions, nor regrets about my "i should have added" bit. Great group here in general, with only a tiny handful of gurus on gilded pedestals. Still think that if anyone takes the time to peck out a response, it should be useful and non-judgemental, even if the advice is in the "free" section.

RE Window graphics---Wet-application for me, especially with etch film, unless the graphics are particularly complex and small. And yeah---it can be a pain to remove the transfer tape, i do leave it as long as possible and warn clients not to wash their windows in the following days for fear of repositioning elements and ending up with something unexpectedly rude.

I have to put the whole etch film thing to bed for a few months I guess, since it's minus 24 Celsius right now. I think that temp pretty much renders any further window work hopeless.

But lots of good discussion on the subject.

see y'all. Have a great holiday season

---mal :Canada 2: