• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What a Saturday Night!!

Air Art Girl

Worked all day in the shop cause I still have tons of work to get out next week. Settle into the old living room, looking up a recipe to make some hot buttered run mix.

Phone rings, it's my son's buddy. My kid broke is leg at this place called Sky High..........yeah..........a trampoline place that I gave him permission to go to.:doh:

So we head to the emergency room, got there just after the aide car got him there. Snapped the tibia and the fibula clean thru. Almost thru the skin. It was nasty looking. They set it back straight and we decided to try to go the cast route for 6-8 weeks over surgery. Since his growth plate isn't closed yet at the top of the tibia it would be more difficulty to put a rod in. We are going to hope the long cast therapy works. It means weekly xrays. Said they would know in 2-3 weeks if they would still need to do surgery. Hope not.

Poor kid, is all about baseball. Made a select team (don't ask how much that costs) has been going to winter conditioning workouts. Hope he can salvage a season but healing is the most important thing.

Anyway, he had to stay in the hospital tonight so they can monitor swelling. It's 1:48, going to sleep so we can go back in the morning. Hopefully it won't be all day before he can come home.

Maybe Rep will post the xray pics tomorrow.....or ahhhhhhhh later today.:Sleeping:

vinylbarry

Sorry to hear that, I know all about them broken bones.
Hope he gets better soon and dont have to have surgary.

Jillbeans

Poor kid!
Hopefully he will bounce back with all the resiliency of youth.
(not on a trampoline, however)
Love....Jill

Air Art Girl

thanks for the thoughts. Jill, you are too funny!!

Talked to him this morning and he sounds good. What a trooper. He's a tough kid. 15yr old and an athlete so hopefully all will heal fast and well.

It's just starting to spit snow here so not looking forward to the 20+ mile drive there and back. Guess he has to have some PT before he can leave to show him how to use crutches...........jeeze, with my 6 knee surgerys I could show him that lol.

Grafix USA

My thoughts and prayers are with him. The good news is that he is 15. My 15 year old had a bad MX accident this summer and broke his collar bone and messed up his shoulder. They weren't sure about surgery, but ultimately didn't need it. He healed MUCH faster than I would have. He was asking to get back on the bike in 2 weeks... no way! But he was healed and released by the Dr. after 9 weeks and was 100%.

Just make sure he doesn't push it the first 4 weeks and he will heal much faster and should be ready for baseball season.

Replicator

Pics before and after they straightened the boys leg . . . !

Attachments

• leg_before.jpg
    leg_before.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 96
  • leg_after.jpg
    leg_after.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 102

Replicator

Get well soon!!! At least it was mid shaft and not the growth plates.

How true and that is why we're attempting natural cast healing before surgery, but we may find after several weeks that he will still need surgery

in which case we will put the pins/bolts just below the growth plate . . .

saktrnch

Bummer. Sorry to hear about his leg. I fractured my right leg my senior year and cost me a letter in baseball that year. I spent 2 months in a full leg cast and then went to a walking cast. I cut my cast off in May so I could march in graduation with out it. The doctor wasn't too impressed with me but it worked out alright.

Hope he heals fast!

signpro

Manager
ouch! sorry to hear about that. hope he and you are doing ok!!

i broke my growth plate in my left ankle when i was 13... spent 5 days in the hospital, hand 7pins and metal plate in there, and had plastic surgery to cover the skin that broke through as well... i know how he feels!! on a side note, it completely healed, but unfortunately does NOT set off airport metal detectors.