• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What a slap in the face....

We have been operating our sign business in our community for 2 1/2 years. A couple of months ago we were approached by our local chamber of commerce about a project that some business owners were getting in on to create a local group that would revitalize the rivers and nature areas here. They asked if I would design a logo for them at no charge in return they would order some different things from us. In turn that would help spread our name in the community.

I just got an email from their VP asking if they were free to use the logo as is without any copyright infringements. They want to know before they send the files over to another printer to have a sign made (which I believe is my competition who works in another city). I'm going to ask him the for the opportunity to quote on the sign....but what nerve....

GoodPeopleFlags

Years ago, I was asked to quote a job for 25 banners for the Madison Chamber of Commerce that said, "Shop Madison First". I was the only sign shop in Madison. I lost the bid to a sign shop 5 miles away in another city.

Don't give them permission to use it.

Flame

I'm with BlueFish, don't give them permission. And FYI, never trust A) any city or chamber peeps or B) anyone promising to place lots of orders if you do something for free/cheap.

i would call into your local chamber and ask to speak to the head person there. tell him/her the situation and ask why they are using someone outside of the town for there signage without even having you guys quote the job. also point out what was said in regards to the logo you designed free of charge and what was said about getting some signage from you.

I am going to contact the one in charge at the Chamber. She is the one who originally approached me about all of this.

It was one of those deals where they never gave any direction on what they were lookin for in the logo and after several revisions, (which took some time and a couple of them were complete redos) we came up with something really nice. I'm pretty proud of the logo and now nobody is even going to know that it's my handywork.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Harsh as it sounds, "...tit for tat..." COPYRIGHT the logo! CHARGE them the "...going SHOP rate..." for artwork creation, as well as the fees for registering the logo. You DID the work! You DESERVE to be paid. Finally, be ready to go to the newspapers if necessary. Afterall, the Chamber of Commerce HATES bad press.

I actually got my application all filled out and was going to go down and drop of the check to get my membership in the next day or so. Was thinking it would do some good to become a member, now I'm rethinking that one....

Kottwitz-Graphics

i would call into your local chamber and ask to speak to the head person there. tell him/her the situation and ask why they are using someone outside of the town for there signage without even having you guys quote the job. also point out what was said in regards to the logo you designed free of charge and what was said about getting some signage from you.

+1. But offer them the alternate of purchasing the logo (at a premium, no discounts), just as you would for any other client. Did you give them anything with their logo on it that they can (and will) take to the other shop to see if they can recreate the logo?

Use this as a learning lesson, and don't do anything for free, even though they promise work on the back end...

GypsyGraphics

are you familiar with the chamber hand shake?
chamber-handshake.jpg

sounds like they found someone to do sign work for free under the same guides the presented you with.

SignManiac

Give me the name and email of the Chamber president and I will write to her and tell her what I think of her ethical and moral character... It would be my pleasure :)

OhioSignShop

Design a logo at no cost is a separate issue from the copyright and ownership of the logo. You designed it and you still own it until you assign specific rights. ANother sign company can't use it unless you allow them to do so. You dont even need to "Copyright" it. You as the designer own it from date of creation. If you do go to the trouble and cost of a formal Copyright filing that will give you the right to collect more in damages if it gets nasty. Not worth it in a case like this. Maybe they will pay your chamber dues for as long as they use the new logo, get some publicity from the new logo in the local media and charge the other sign company a fee for every graphic they make with your logo. All kinds of positive spin you can get out of this new logo.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, this may sound odd, but they did approach you with doing the design for free.... which you agreed. They have come back to make sure they have full permission to use the logo you prepared, did revisions on and hand over to them for their use as all previous agreed without your discussing copyrights. They probably went to your competitor and they did the right thing by asking the chamber to be sure in writing, that they have full rights to this logo.... in writing.

They haven't used you, but there could be a reason for it...... possibly they are price shopping and will give you the final bid.
Perhaps they have other visions for using your shop.... in the future.
Maybe the other shop is a member and you haven't done a thing about it yet.
Maybe, you've just been had.

The thing is..... you need to clear this kinda chit up before it happens, you can't hold this stuff over someone's head because you're pissed how it turned out and then use some loophole to force their hand. You'll not get far in business if you trick people.

This particular subject comes up all the time and it's kinda dumb. :popcorn:

Anyone that designs something for someone and doesn't get all the details ironed out beforehand is just a sorry putz with has no idea of how to handle things. You did it and you lost. Get over it. You even did it for free to get work and that backfired. Chalk it up to experience, but don't bring out some law on the books from 1978 that says you don't have to say a thing when they come back to you honestly asking for their copyrights.

In my opinion, if you can't be open about this stuff up front, then you deserve to lose the rest of the deal..... whether you did it for free or not. Business is business and you must remain loyal to yourself. Have a business model/plan on doing these things and you won't go wrong.

westpointsigns

Our chamber does the same thing.... THIS is why I am no longer a member.

Bunch of hypocrites around here. Live Here, Buy Here, my A$$. They get all their stuff done by a shop that's 50 miles away. :banghead:

gino as usuall has a good and valid point about the free work. however, i automatically thought you were a member of the chamber as they had approached you for work. coc usually use paid memebers for work, you pay your dues every year and they in turn put work your way.

i would still go and speak to the head honcho there and see if you can at least bid on the work and whilst your there, pay your fee and join up. if your on there books they may well start putting some work your way.

I'm not going to get nasty with anyone because I don't want to make a bad reputation for myself. I have email documentation of what was said and I'm just going to remind them of that. There are no other local sign shops in my town that I'm aware of, so I'm pretty certain it's a company from another town. The thing that rubs me the wrong way is it is supposed to be a community organization, doing something for the community, involving other community businesses, so at least out of common courtesy give me the opportunity to bid on the project. If the other company wins the bid due to price, fine, but just give me the opportunity to put my best foot forward. I see write ups in the paper about this group and other businesses getting credit for making donations at least give credit about who designed the darn logo.

Craig Sjoquist

lol yup the ol bait and switch, sorry about your luck, and a good reason not to do design work unless paid, only exceptions is customers you know that will not cheat you.

Design / layout work is 60% of any job, if your not getting paid for that, where is the profit ?

BobM

GG has it exactly correct. The Chamber of Commerce always give you nothing for something.