• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What a slap in the face....

FatCat

I'm not going to get nasty with anyone because I don't want to make a bad reputation for myself. I have email documentation of what was said and I'm just going to remind them of that. There are no other local sign shops in my town that I'm aware of, so I'm pretty certain it's a company from another town. The thing that rubs me the wrong way is it is supposed to be a community organization, doing something for the community, involving other community businesses, so at least out of common courtesy give me the opportunity to bid on the project. If the other company wins the bid due to price, fine, but just give me the opportunity to put my best foot forward. I see write ups in the paper about this group and other businesses getting credit for making donations at least give credit about who designed the darn logo.

This is pretty standard for most Chambers and is the main issue I have with them. I am the only "local" sign shop in our community, but there are 4 other sign shops from other cities who are members... To be fair, they have to spread the work around, but I never see much except low-buck bottom feeder type junk. I keep hoping one day something good (big job) will come of it, but perhaps I am fooling myself.

Jillbeans

Always remember that no good deed goes unpunished.
I'm still walking funny since I last dealt with my CofC in 2002.
Love....Jill

Jack Knight1979

+1
People looking for hand outs do not have the money for big orders.

I'm with BlueFish, don't give them permission. And FYI, never trust A) any city or chamber peeps or B) anyone promising to place lots of orders if you do something for free/cheap.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm not a chamber member anymore, but here's what I've seen so far:

#1) They tend to be "good 'ol boys clubs", where committee governance sometimes is nonexistant and favors are the currency of choice.

#2) Bigger job opportunities somewhere else cause fairly high personnel turnover rates, and the people who remain don't seem to have a long term memory. In your case, it's a good thing you have it in writing.

#3) You can't smack a cow pie without getting some on you...be cautious.

JB

mrchips

I wonder why the COC didn't ask a shop that has done (paid) work for them in the past, to design the "free" logo????? To me, that would make sense........of course if they haven't.......well......

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Bradster941

lol yup the ol bait and switch, sorry about your luck, and a good reason not to do design work unless paid, only exceptions is customers you know that will not cheat you.

Design / layout work is 60% of any job, if your not getting paid for that, where is the profit ?

Perfect way of putting it... :smile:

Baz

Gino has some really good points.:thumb: I wouldn't pursue any moneys after the deed is done either but i would express my thoughts on the matter in regards to getting to quote on anything they need future wise. Worse comes to worse this one should just be added up to experience...

I'm still walking funny since I last dealt with my CofC in 2002.

:omg::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Colin

I've had so many "disloyal" experiences like this, being in business has really changed my outlook and trust in people.

Custom_Grafx

give it to them....

as a 32dpi thumbnail png burnt onto a cd/dvd.

and delete all your source files.

then go and concentrate on all your jobs that make you money.

Also, I suggest hanging up the phone if they ever call, and if they come to your shop, tell them you'll just be a minute coz you have to go to the toilet... close your door... and don't go back.

SignManiac

Stay in this business long enough and you learn to avoid Chambers, Beauty Salons, Realtors, Contractors, Charities, and family members.... I know I've left out a few more.

CentralSigns

Take it to the next board meeting at the C of C. Bring it up so all the board and the members attending know what happened. Often its not all the board but one individual. The rest may be on your side, they may have even spoke up for you in the first place.

The Chamber of Commerce for me has been a good business decision for me to join. They refer me all the time, and the $150 qa year I pay comes back 10 fold in fact they the C of C even buy several hund a year in product.

Pay your dues that may be all that is stopping them from using you, its a small price to pay if they are as good as ours. When you are paying politely ask for the opportunity to bid on the contract they want to use the logo for. Or Offer up the logo for a free membership for this year and the opportunity to bid on the work. then if it doesn't go the way you like still bring it up at a meeting. That's my advice take it or leave it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Between the Chamber and the Unions who are small businesses supposed to build trusted professional relationships with?

wayne k
guam usa

cartoad

It all depends on the Chamber, and how they run it, they all say they want to promote local business, but often the "paid help" have a lot of freedom on what and where they buy. One of the local chambers here buys printing from out of the area ''to save money", so much for buy here. We have belonged for 6 years and I just checked, we have sold only one item directly to them in that time for $78, and untill recently there was only one other sign company, good old boy network for sure. And we have only bid on 2 or 3 other projects in all that time, guess I need to pay them a visit!!

earplug

Just went back and re-read the original post. The Chamber IS NOT the guilty party

project that some business owners were getting in on to create a local group that would revitalize the rivers and nature areas here. They asked if I would design a logo for them at no charge

The guilty party is the new nature group.

I just got an email from their VP asking if they were free to use the logo as is without any copyright infringements. .

I think the Chamber should get involved and educate the group as to who helped them with the Logo.