• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What about Taxing?

cchand

Hey All,
I have a few "tax" questions,,,mainly where to start and what to do on the local and government ruling for selling stuff. See, I know what to do for Sole Prop as a freelance graphic designer but this selling to the public has me stumped. I've searched on the web and everything I find is written in "IRS/lawyer" talk and I don't understand that one bit. Can anyone can give me a crash course for dummies? Do I need a state license or permit? I think I figured out I don't need a Tax ID # yet, using SSN. Any helpful advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,,,

ChicagoGraphics

If I'm not mistaken, you have to have a tax ID in order to charge sales tax.
I use my SSN, and I dont charge tax, but I allways add to the price to make up for it.

jenhuedepohl

I just went through this. It's not too complicated. Go online and find your state's department of revenue. You can file online for a sales tax permit and find out what the rate is in your area. They'll let you choose how often you want to send them the taxes you've collected and you can even file and pay everything online.

That tax permit number is also needed so you can order supplies tax exempt.

I'm tax-challenged and managed to figure it out without too many four-letter words about the forty-letter words they like to explain this stuff with!

threeputt

I think things will vary some from state to state. But in my state if you sell, then you're required to collect sales tax. Except from lawfully exempted customers who must demonstrate their exemptness.

Sounds like ChicagoGraphics has found some sort of loophole, or things are different in Illinois. But in my state when you report your sales quarterly, you'd better have 7.7% of that amount to send back to the state.

I would get professional advice Cchand, a State Audit is a terrible thing.

radicalgraphix

im with threeputt,here in missouri if you sell to the public,you must charge sales tax,and pay back to the state quarterly or yearly and what have you..

Bogie

Just wondering just WHAT is taxable?

And do we really want to invoice clients for materials separately from our time?

Service Sign Co

If you provide materials,it's taxable. If you work for a customer and they provide materials.it's not taxable. Only if you are re selling materials does it become taxable

Techman

go to your local tax office and find out. They are very helpful and will tell you straight. Thats the best way. no advice here will fit yoru needs..