Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about Taxing?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by cchand, Sep 26, 2007.

1. cchand

cchand New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Hey All,
    I have a few "tax" questions,,,mainly where to start and what to do on the local and government ruling for selling stuff. See, I know what to do for Sole Prop as a freelance graphic designer but this selling to the public has me stumped. I've searched on the web and everything I find is written in "IRS/lawyer" talk and I don't understand that one bit. Can anyone can give me a crash course for dummies? Do I need a state license or permit? I think I figured out I don't need a Tax ID # yet, using SSN. Any helpful advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,,,

Tags:
  2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    If I'm not mistaken, you have to have a tax ID in order to charge sales tax.
    I use my SSN, and I dont charge tax, but I allways add to the price to make up for it.

3. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    Start here:
    http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxpermit/

You need a tax ID, but you can get one with your ssn# (other businesses would use their EIN#). Check with local county & city gov'ts also. There may be additional sales taxes for each one of those.

4. jenhuedepohl

jenhuedepohl Member

Feb 26, 2006
    I just went through this. It's not too complicated. Go online and find your state's department of revenue. You can file online for a sales tax permit and find out what the rate is in your area. They'll let you choose how often you want to send them the taxes you've collected and you can even file and pay everything online.

That tax permit number is also needed so you can order supplies tax exempt.

I'm tax-challenged and managed to figure it out without too many four-letter words about the forty-letter words they like to explain this stuff with!

5. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    I think things will vary some from state to state. But in my state if you sell, then you're required to collect sales tax. Except from lawfully exempted customers who must demonstrate their exemptness.

Sounds like ChicagoGraphics has found some sort of loophole, or things are different in Illinois. But in my state when you report your sales quarterly, you'd better have 7.7% of that amount to send back to the state.

I would get professional advice Cchand, a State Audit is a terrible thing.

6. radicalgraphix

radicalgraphix Member

Nov 14, 2007
    im with threeputt,here in missouri if you sell to the public,you must charge sales tax,and pay back to the state quarterly or yearly and what have you..

7. JimJenson

JimJenson Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
  8. Bogie

Bogie Very Active Member

May 17, 2007
    Just wondering just WHAT is taxable?

And do we really want to invoice clients for materials separately from our time?

9. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    NJ now taxes just about everything.

10. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
    If you provide materials,it's taxable. If you work for a customer and they provide materials.it's not taxable. Only if you are re selling materials does it become taxable

11. radicalgraphix

radicalgraphix Member

Nov 14, 2007
    moody is correct..

12. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    go to your local tax office and find out. They are very helpful and will tell you straight. Thats the best way. no advice here will fit yoru needs..