• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What are you doin all night?

jkdbjj

I get it, work is a good thing.
When I first joined Signs101 things were looking pretty bad for my company.
Things have really turned around, and I am staying til midnight pretty much routinely, and getting here at 9ish in the morning.

I can't sustain this, and I am nervous to hire new employees.

Anyway, this is what I am doing all night staring at this beast.

Anyone else working late?

Anyone have any stories of managing growth they want to share?

today.jpg

jkdbjj

Oh and for the 3M haters, as you can see all Oracal in here, and that's what is loaded on the machine as well. Been using Oracal for many years, and am very happy with their products.

jkdbjj

At least you have Signs 101 to keep you company! :thumb:
I'd be in a mess if a drank, instead I am eating my all Raw vegetarian dinner, green juice, and chocolate smoothie. I figure if I am going to work all night I'd eat a nice meal.

jkdbjj

Try outsourcing some of your printing?
Charlie I have been. Signs365 has been a great source. I spent 10k with them recently, or there abouts, and they have really come through.

I am also outsourcing some installation.

My wife and I realized that I need to learn to delegate, and allow people to live up to my standards. Admittedly over the years I can crank out some great work, but I have not spent much time teaching other to do what I do. As you know you can't just hire anyone to do this stuff, so I am probably going to have to give in and try to hire someone.

The other thing, customers always want it today. So unless you say no, you end up overloaded. I have to learn to say no, and just deal with it. These are growing pains. Something I read the other day, is that when you are growing this fast, it is a good time to really look at your customers, and see which ones need to be let go of, if they are more trouble then they are worth. So, that is in the back of my mind as well.

jkdbjj

You know when you come to Texas next week, you have to eat some steak right... :Big Laugh
Funny thing that. I recently have been doing this Raw diet, out of curiosity, but my son has made me commit that when I can afford it, I have to take him to Ruth's Chris Steak House and have some dry aged steak.
I told him he had a deal, cause I can eat some good steak. Just not a bunch :D

BTW, Sunday should be fine, in the afternoon. I will call you.
I can only trust God that I am suppose to be going to this wrap training, cause leaving in the middle of the work load is a bit nuts. However, I think it will help my wrap division grow a bit, as I have more confidence with it. I also finished watching Justin's videos, and he seems like a really good instructor.

Charlie J

Charlie I have been. Signs365 has been a great source. I spent 10k with them recently, or there abouts, and they have really come through.

I am also outsourcing some installation.

My wife and I realized that I need to learn to delegate, and allow people to live up to my standards. Admittedly over the years I can crank out some great work, but I have not spent much time teaching other to do what I do. As you know you can't just hire anyone to do this stuff, so I am probably going to have to give in and try to hire someone.

The other thing, customers always want it today. So unless you say no, you end up overloaded. I have to learn to say no, and just deal with it. These are growing pains. Something I read the other day, is that when you are growing this fast, it is a good time to really look at your customers, and see which ones need to be let go of, if they are more trouble then they are worth. So, that is in the back of my mind as well.

Learning to say no is one of the hardest things I've had to learn. No one ever has any patience and they always want it NOW.

How many employees do you have?

mudmedia

That is cool that you have been so busy. I felt the same way the last 3 weeks but am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Unfortunately that is not my style and am kind of worried about seeing the light as I do not want it to stop. So now in the back of my mind is thinking about marketing ideas to gain business so it does not stop.

jkdbjj

Learning to say no is one of the hardest things I've had to learn. No one ever has any patience and they always want it NOW.

How many employees do you have?
Umm....
..birds chirping

Just me... However, my wife just left the health industry of 15 years to help in the office. So that is getting me much better organized.

I know, I know, but I do bring contractors on. I just have a fear of hiring full time and business going bad, and having to let people go. I would HATE that. Problem with contractors is they are not always available, and they have no skin in the game, so quality is only so so.

This year I am looking at upwards of 200k, which is huge by myself. Best month was 50k this year. So it isn't like I shouldn't be able to afford at least one good person for production. I guess in my mind, I had a target of 300k to bring on a full timer.

What do you think?

I am not sure how to find a sign employee. Advertise I guess.

jkdbjj

OK here is another example, it is 7pm my time. Shop is closed. I here a knock at the door. Customer standing there with keys and a large box. I guess his corporation get the graphics printed elsewhere, and he want me to install it.
This was suppose to arrive last week, so lucky for him I was still here.
Problem is I am flying to Dallas for wrap training on Sunday. I do have an installer who I trust to be here while I am gone, so it should be good.
But, this is how it is going right now. I know I am blabbing, but I am in some way trying to keep my mind on other things but work for a change. So a flight to Dallas will be nice. No cell phones etc...

Just arrive 5 minutes ago...
newjob.jpg

Plus I have a temperature of 100 degrees right now.:covereyes:

jkdbjj

Or just ask me to move to NC and I'll close my shop :)

ha ha ha
Other thing, I can't see myself as a boss. I am too childish I guess.
Here let me try...
"So, do you have any qualifications?" "Cause here at Visual Impact we take **** seriously" lol, I just can't do it.
Just want to work and live life, new employees means RESPONSIBILITY...

Maybe the answer is to just charge more, and I won't get as much work, but it may balance things out???

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I hope things work out for you and hope you have a good time in Dallas. There's no shortage of restaurants here but the scenery is lacking. Enjoy the flat, featureless terrain and dingy haze as you fly in and be glad of all of the greenery around Charlotte when you fly back!

When I was into drag racing, my daily driver was pushing 600rwhp. That meant stuff would occasionally break, but it's what we all called "a good problem". I think what you're going through right now is "a good problem" - you just need to figure out how to make things work. I don't have any advice because running your own business is a pretty personal thing. I guess I'm just saying to look at the big picture and be glad the problem you're dealing with is too much work rather than not enough. I'm sure you'll get it worked out!

jkdbjj

I guess I'm just saying to look at the big picture and be glad the problem you're dealing with is too much work rather than not enough. I'm sure you'll get it worked out!
Absolutely!
There was a time not too long ago, I had NO work. I am also aware there are some on this forum that are hurting. I have no intention of bragging, as I am sure that is how it may sound. I'm just trying to have a conversation while at work.
I am grateful for what I have, and I give thanks almost hourly. I also try to spend time on this forum helping others grow their business, offering ideas that turned mine around. I literally started with 5k and a lease on some equipment, and 4 years later, am doing very well now.
The best advice I have heard lately, is to find a mentor, that has dealt with growing to fast. Cause if I don't I will get burned out.

To those that are struggling right now, my email is always open, cause if anything I have done can help you, I share freely. Hopefully, some already know that.

Thanks again Moze

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You bet! And I hope it didn't sound like I was implying you were bragging or not looking at the big picture! :)

If you ever have a large project or need a helping hand with installations for a week or something, let me know. I have family in the area I can bunk with. I'd be happy to help out for a mildly exorbitant fee. :)

2B

that is one UGLY design going on that van...

growing pains are good, its validation you are doing it right

jkdbjj

that is one UGLY design going on that van...

growing pains are good, its validation you are doing it right
Now that I look at the sheet again, you're right.
To me most wraps look bad after being exposed to Dan's work. I ask myself often WWDD, when designing now. Suppose that is a compliment to him, but it is true.

jhd

I've been struggling with the same issue being a one man shop and I've posted about it before, when to hire, who to hire and what to delegate. This last year was an absolute blur and the fall has been just as busy. I moved into a new shop last april and still haven't unpacked, I'm working with a thrown together set-up that is driving me nuts and I have no sign (LOL) . I'm hoping to get a desk built this weekend and hopefully settle in a touch. It's great to be busy and consider myself lucky and blessed - I've spoke with many other people outside the industry with my issues, but they just do not seem to quite get it....all i get is "just hire someone", but its just not that easy.

I'm usually good with decisions and thinking them through for the best outcome, but I'm absolutely lost on this one.

by the way - the raw diet seems interesting.

HulkSmash

Finding good help is hard. I'm very lucky to have the people I do. I know if I leave work will get done. I have a guy who designs prints installation. He does anything and falls into place as we need him. Once toy find the right person. do what you can to hold on to them.

mopar691

After hours here, everyone leaves me alone. Its the only time I can actually work. Front doors locked, I go in the back, crank the tunes and crank out work. I have my old bands full stage amps, board and loudspeakers set up in my rear production for my listening pleasure after hours. Tonight's music pic is Five Finger Death Punch and American Head Charge :rock-n-roll:

Tonight I am screening out a few 50 - 100 piece shirt orders. The Mutoh is up front running away printing out 50 full color last minute yard signs so that will keep someone busy for the day tomorrow. Then finish up 2 estimates due out tomorrow both for back lit face replacements.