• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do I need to print business cards/cut them???

stephenj148

I've tried searching around on google and what not to learn how to get into the printing of business cards. I'm not looking to start off with a huge ordeal but I'd like to maybe get into doing smaller quantities for myself and the people around that I know that could use business cards.

Can anyone point me in the direction of printers and then ways of cutting the cards? I'm not sure where to start this process.

(not sure if this is the correct place for this thread so admins feel free to move it to its appropriate topic)

grafixemporium

If you need to ask... outsource. There is no way in hell you can ever compete with the established wholesale biz card market and make money.

Salmoneye

I was a printer for years. The equipment that you need to do this job properly is very expensive. A good cutter alone is thousands. Not only that but the printing of these cards is a trade in itself that can take years to do well (depending on what you are trying to produce). My advice is to do what I do now and design your cards and sub them out to a wholesale printer that has literally millions invested in equipment that can produce them for pennies. Mark them up and sell them to your customers. If you are just looking for some small quantities for yourself just order them from a local vendor.

mtmdesigns

Wow, you can get 1,000 biz cards for 19.99 double sided fully digital online and it could be less then that buy now. Sub it out add 300%. No money in it for the headaches in my opinion.

weaselboogie

Business cards are such a saturated market and you can get cards for CHEAP. Make your money on the design and leave the production up to the professionals with the right equipment.

To name a few of the mass producers....
Vistaprint
GrPrint
zoo printing

Rojo

I use a wholesaler and print my own with a color laser. Depends on what the customer wants for cards, how many, how quick. Most wholesalers print on white cardstock, gloss or matte. If your customer wants card stock to match their stationery you won't find that at most wholesalers. If the customer wants a thousand or more full color cards you can't beat a good wholesaler. Don't give your customer a file that they can use to go around you and cut you out of the $ loop.

You can't fill every need. Have to decide what type customer you want to pursue.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
It depends on what type of business cards...

If you are going to make the shiny 4-color cards... sub them out.

If you want to make cards using different papers, duplexing paper, various printing techniques and die cutting, you have to work hard at creating a market for that, if you do not already have one.

Personally, there is not a whole lot of money in shiny 4-color cards. Craft cards using metal, plastic, spec'ed paper, letterpress and silk screening may command a higher profit margin, but only the most discerning client will pay for those.

TheSellOut

A good wholesaler whose product is produced right here in the USA is "4 Color USA"! Their prices are close to GR Print, their quality is just as great, and their turnaround is fast! Plus they have a few locations throughout the USA so their shipping is fast too!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Find your closest local printing company that does good, quick, cheap work already. Take them to lunch, explain that you want to sell business cards, but dont want to make them. Tell them you want to sell their services "as your own" and have them give you a wholesale rate. Tell them the services you have to offer that they cannot do theirselves. Sell each others products to your current customer base & everyone makes more money with less effort. It works out well for us.

We have about 3 good reliable printers we call for a quote every time we get a request, you would be surprised at the variance in prices between each reply. Some just have it figured out or specialize in a certain item ie business cards, flyers, die-cut, etc. In return we have all of their sales reps selling for us also.

heavyt

i use a company call over blank prints, don't want to name names, but I can get 1k double sided full color with bleed glossy cards for 60 shipped, they messed up my business cards and didn't cut them right, approx 300 were affected and they sent me out a new order free of charge, I got 1700 cards for 60 bucks glossy color double sided.

os101king

Been using 4Over for years now... they have a plant in Moonachie, NJ now so I get business cards in DAYS. They're really amazing, a 16pt glossy double sided card, 1000 for $24. They offer options like rounded corners, C1S (uncoated backsides) and spot UV coating as well.... all printed in the USA. ... and no, I don't work for them!

Pat Whatley

they sent me out a new order free of charge, I got 1700 cards for 60 bucks glossy color double sided.

And you still got hosed. I'm paying about $22 per thousand delivered and know I can get them cheaper if I shopped it around. Do a search here and you'll see the same 10 names come up over and over with everyone defending the heck out of whoever they use. They're all the same...like Rick repeatedly says....full color cards are the bottom of the barrel.

jiarby

5000 for $40 plus shipping from my vendor. 1000 is $12.99
you probably cant buy blank paper that cheap to make your own!

sardocs

I know whenever this comes up the overwhelming majority of the responses are "sub it out to -fill in the blank-. But I get a lot of clients who, when shown our cards that I print on my sp300 on banner material, ask me to make some for them. Maybe 'cos we are in a maritime environment they like that the cards are waterproof, I don't know.Some are willing to pay $150 for 100 cards. I just haven't figured out how to cut them up quickly enough and accurately enough to be profitable. I just xacto 'em up on the worktop. If I do to many I get bored and cut my fingers. How do you guys cut up multiple decals or cards when you do it in-house?

Mosh

1000 full color are $12.99 and around $10 to get shipped here.
1000 one color thermo cards are $20 plus the ship.

I have customers come in and know these prices from looking online. They freak when I tell them what I
charge, but then come back in wanting me to design the card for them when they find out that price is
for the printing only not any design work.