• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Do You Do With Your Vinyl Cut Offs, Scraps.

Jwalk

What does everyone do with their vinyl cut-offs? I have a collection of 4" to 10" rolls now. I know they're probably garbage. Anywhere to donate them I wonder?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Contact your local school and donate them to the art department. They are starved for resources and those little bits of vinyl help them out a lot.
Agree- but I'd add you need to have a set schedule of when they should come by to pick the stuff up (every week, two weeks, month, whatever) or you're going to run into a storage- and attitude- problem. And I'm speaking from experience- the folks I used to donate to wouldn't show up for six months and then get pissy when I told them I'd tossed the stuff because they didn't show up. Once I finally got them to realize that they had to show up every month to get the scraps, they got a a steady stream of material and I didn't have to store a bunch of otherwise mostly useless material.
Other than that, if I think it's too small to cut something out of, it goes in the trash.

equippaint

Garbage can, every last piece of it. Such a pita to store it, load it back in straight, measure to make sure the scrap is big enough etc. Charge for the total sq footage used including waste and its paid for. To me its a waste of time, vinyl is cheap and time isn't.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Cut them in to 10" x 12" sheets and sell them as cricut kits. You could sell them for like $15 for a pack of 5... Have done it before, one of my clients now buys our off cuts for scrap book "kits".

Donate to schools, make single color giveaway logos, use them as organization markers in your shop, all good options.

At one time there was a epoxy company that was taking scraps from sign shops to mulch and use as color chips for epoxy coatings.

WrapYourCar

Throw out the tiny pieces...decent but small rolls I keep as packing tape to reinforce boxes I'm sending out.. definitely stronger than clear tape. Bigger pieces can be kept for 1 off jobs which are vinyl cut white.. but it does get a bit messy.. comes a point where you need to start binning to reduce clutter.

ikarasu

Schools is the best bet. Our schools love us... We donate all our smaller rolls to them. whether it's 10/20 FT of printable media, a couple yards of cut vinyl left, etc. We're usually nice and drop it off - We save all our smaller scraps, but also donate partial rolls. Everytime I get to the end of roll, 6-10 FT left... I just tape it onto a core, and usually theres a good 50-100 FT of misc materials for them to play with. Most of the time they're using it to cut on, not print, so theyre happy with anything we give them.

Or I play around with them. Practice doing multi color decals... I used some to learn how to do kiss cut, then perf cut... My bosses didn't even know it was possible. Long gone are the days I manually cut 300+ decals of different sizes that I just print and cut anyways!

We're going to have about 300 FT of 12" offcut 1080 blue. so I've been using it to wrap "everything"... Sometimes its good to keep for fun! My office has a ton of blue desk drawers now... We'll see how blue I can make it before someone notices.

hcardwell93

I keep scraps in clear shoe boxes organized by color. It helps when a little job or a recut is needed.

I have a client that orders 3x3 decals in black or white twice a year. If I have extra room when I do a larger job I throw his decals in. They add up quickly that way.

For long runs use the scraps to cut stripes or other shapes that you may use as standard.

gabagoo

I use some of it for removing dog fur around the house and especially in the car. For the most part it all goes in the garbage. For big digital screwups I save it until my garbage is full and then super stack the bin with everything that I hate throwing out...it almost feels painless

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I keep them. Because of the flatbed i can just use a small piece if i need to do a small batch of stickers or something basic.

1leonchen

for sale signs, windshield banners.small decals for bikes or bicycles and sell to hobbyist. the rest goes to the trash or high school art department. but i kid u not for sale signs and wind shield banner buys new roll.