• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you do with your vinyl??

CentralSigns

That's just one rack devoted to short term vinyl. There's another for longterm.
Our shop is full up. There is no time for tracking. Just order more when it gets low or a job dictates it, save big by the roll. It's kind of a mess right now as no one told our customers it was the slow time, go figure. No time to sort it out, right now "We are up to our asses in alligators".

CentralSigns

Actually it's three rollends, one was a longterm, the others are from different manufacturers and a shade different.

Here is a good way to store premask, attached. Does anyone else use different sizes? We also have flat storage of scraps under this bench.

Attachments

• 0310010015.jpg
    0310010015.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Edserv

Thank you for bringing up this thread, seems fellow sign-shop folks have similar issues.

When we lived in the mid west (land and space were cheap) we could build racks and place things anywhere we wanted. But after relocating to Hawaii, every single square inch is expensive and worth considering. Add to this that the rolls of vinyl are heavy and cumbersome, you now have a space AND placement issue. Our main objective is (ongoing) thinking of and testing a placement system for our "most used" vinyls (24/36/48) printable and banner so that not only does it save space, but it diminishes walking and lifting (lifting being the main point, so that our staff can transfer vinyl right onto the roller with minimum movement and zero or as close to zero lifting for the heavy stuff.)
About a year ago, we finally came up with a system that works really well for us that I'm contemplating trying to obtain a patent.
Does anyone have any experience with patent research?
I think what we've been using could really help. I'm not trying to be greedy, but most of my business associates have looked at this and said, "you should get a patent for this."
Our system keeps the high-moving inventory close to the station while allowing almost anyone to load and unload media within seconds.
Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Custom_Grafx

Thank you for bringing up this thread, seems fellow sign-shop folks have similar issues.

When we lived in the mid west (land and space were cheap) we could build racks and place things anywhere we wanted. But after relocating to Hawaii, every single square inch is expensive and worth considering. Add to this that the rolls of vinyl are heavy and cumbersome, you now have a space AND placement issue. Our main objective is (ongoing) thinking of and testing a placement system for our "most used" vinyls (24/36/48) printable and banner so that not only does it save space, but it diminishes walking and lifting (lifting being the main point, so that our staff can transfer vinyl right onto the roller with minimum movement and zero or as close to zero lifting for the heavy stuff.)
About a year ago, we finally came up with a system that works really well for us that I'm contemplating trying to obtain a patent.
Does anyone have any experience with patent research?
I think what we've been using could really help. I'm not trying to be greedy, but most of my business associates have looked at this and said, "you should get a patent for this."
Our system keeps the high-moving inventory close to the station while allowing almost anyone to load and unload media within seconds.
Your thoughts would be appreciated!

I'd go see a patent attorney and an industrial engineer/designer for some tips on how to go about it. That's if you want to do it right.

Vanishingstar05

Its very cool to see everyones ideas!! My idea was to do exactly what GG did. I worked at a sign shop in Montana and he had one similar with hooks. But I figured it would be easier and more sturdy to cut slots in it. Considering the rolls we use the most of are 54" rolls that are 50ish lbs for a full roll.

Tim Aucoin

I have to admit I was inspired by GG's beautiful rack, unfortunately it take more than just a few pictures of a nice rack to inspire me to work real hard at it so I made my own easier way to do it. I never have customers come in here so I really don't care about the way it looks as long as it's functional. A few 2x4's and a bunch of bicycle hooks I picked up on ebay for $1 a pair and some pvc pipe. Works for me...:clapping:

I like this idea! I really need to get my rolls off the floor by doing something similar. I don't have a CNC and I'm not too handy with tools, so I doubt I'll ever have a nice looking rack like Gigi :smile: but this one I could do! Only issue I have is that I'm in the basement of an office tower, and there are no wooden studs to mount to (that's what she said), as I think they use the galvanized or aluminum studs or whatever they use in building these kind of walls here. I'll have to look into this. Thanks for posting the pic! :thumb: