• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you guys think??

Joe Diaz

ok so what are your opinions on this???

So it looks like we've got the starts of an icon based design. At least that's what we call it here. Which is good. Think of the atlas guy holding up the planet as your icon. With that type of design you have some flexibility when it comes to layout. You place the icon above the copy (or your name) and it fits a tall, skinny space, to the left of the name and it fits a short, wide space. That being said, I'm careful not to include part of the name in the icon, except for in some cases. In this case I don't think it's working.

The other thing that sticks out to me, is your use of fonts. You have four different fonts picked out with four different styles, none of which really work together.

Your main copy "signs" needs the most help in my opinion. So if you have a design for a business called "Johnsons Auto Body", what I think works best is to have the word or words that describes what you are doing to be the more basic of lettering styles. Make sure it's easy to read. The word that describes who you are "Johnsons" could be a font that has a bit more character and uniqueness, but it still needs to be easy to read too. It just doesn't need to quite as simple.

I don't care for the font choice for the word "signs" because its trying to be too unique at the cost of legibility. Or as my dad would put it: "it's too cutesy". When people read words, they don't read them one letter at a time, they look for patterns and symbols. This is why imagery in logos are so powerful, a picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Think of the words in your design as pictures, imagery, symbols or icons. Each word is a symbol they have seen before. It's stored in their brain. Have you ever seen this?:
funny-letters-numbers-brain-test.jpg
The reason most people can read this is because, like I said, people tend to not read a word a letter at a time, they look for recognizable symbols. However, you will notice that it wasn't as easy to read as something that was written normally. You can take that knowledge and apply it to your designs. When you get too cute with your font choices, or there isn't enough space around the letters, or too much space, or the letters are too fat and the centers of the As, Bs, Rs, Os, Ps, etc. are too small, well then you are working against a person's natural instinct to look for those symbols when they are reading something.

Now your "Reading, Ca." has a similar issue. I think it's fine to use wide kerning like that for parts of a design that aren't as important, but I have found that it doesn't work as well when the font choice has an extremely condensed style. And why include "Reading, Ca" on your logo anyway? Have you ever notices the majority of successful businesses do not do this. You certainly won't need it on your sign, the people in town will know what town they are in. I can see it being used on some forms of advertising as an add on element, but it doesn't need to be a part of you logo, it's just one more thing for people to read. If you absolutly have to have it for some reason, down play it so that it doesn't compete with the primary message.

Also you could probably loose the "Custom Banners & Signs" You already used the word "Signs", it's kind of a given that you offer these services and again it's just one more element that people have to read. However, if you were going to stick with this design as is (which I wouldn't recommend) I would keep it on their, because it's actually the strongest element of the design in that it's the easiest part to make out.

So my point is focus on the mechanics of the design first, any decoration should be used to support your message, not be the message. Try starting with real basic lettering styles first, just to get a hang of it, then figure out ways to add character.

Joe Diaz

Squint Test..... Does it pass? If not, back to the drawing board. If it's an outdoor advertisement it should pass the squint test. Study up on contrast and space. It's extremely important for this type of work.

SignManiac

I give you an A+ for using special effects! What do you have against working in black and white? I would recommend the Aurora CD collection. You would find it very useful.

bulldozer

not sure if i would black out the entire storefront. let some light in, and you can see who is approaching the door.

graphicwarning

I just keep asking myself why when you post an idea, and ask for comments... people try to be constructive and help you, and instead of improving and revising based on those comments... you create something entirely different?

At first I gave you the benefit of the doubt and thought you were simply persistent and willing to learn. Now I'm calling shenanigans and think you're just trolling!

So it looks like we've got the starts of an icon based design. At least that's what we call it here. Which is good. Think of the atlas guy holding up the planet as your icon. With that type of design you have some flexibility when it comes to layout. You place the icon above the copy (or your name) and it fits a tall, skinny space, to the left of the name and it fits a short, wide space. That being said, I'm careful not to include part of the name in the icon, except for in some cases. In this case I don't think it's working.

The other thing that sticks out to me, is your use of fonts. You have four different fonts picked out with four different styles, none of which really work together.

Your main copy "signs" needs the most help in my opinion. So if you have a design for a business called "Johnsons Auto Body", what I think works best is to have the word or words that describes what you are doing to be the more basic of lettering styles. Make sure it's easy to read. The word that describes who you are "Johnsons" could be a font that has a bit more character and uniqueness, but it still needs to be easy to read too. It just doesn't need to quite as simple.

I don't care for the font choice for the word "signs" because its trying to be too unique at the cost of legibility. Or as my dad would put it: "it's too cutesy". When people read words, they don't read them one letter at a time, they look for patterns and symbols. This is why imagery in logos are so powerful, a picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Think of the words in your design as pictures, imagery, symbols or icons. Each word is a symbol they have seen before. It's stored in their brain. Have you ever seen this?:
View attachment 99270
The reason most people can read this is because, like I said, people tend to not read a word a letter at a time, they look for recognizable symbols. However, you will notice that it wasn't as easy to read as something that was written normally. You can take that knowledge and apply it to your designs. When you get too cute with your font choices, or there isn't enough space around the letters, or too much space, or the letters are too fat and the centers of the As, Bs, Rs, Os, Ps, etc. are too small, well then you are working against a person's natural instinct to look for those symbols when they are reading something.

Now your "Reading, Ca." has a similar issue. I think it's fine to use wide kerning like that for parts of a design that aren't as important, but I have found that it doesn't work as well when the font choice has an extremely condensed style. And why include "Reading, Ca" on your logo anyway? Have you ever notices the majority of successful businesses do not do this. You certainly won't need it on your sign, the people in town will know what town they are in. I can see it being used on some forms of advertising as an add on element, but it doesn't need to be a part of you logo, it's just one more thing for people to read. If you absolutly have to have it for some reason, down play it so that it doesn't compete with the primary message.

Also you could probably loose the "Custom Banners & Signs" You already used the word "Signs", it's kind of a given that you offer these services and again it's just one more element that people have to read. However, if you were going to stick with this design as is (which I wouldn't recommend) I would keep it on their, because it's actually the strongest element of the design in that it's the easiest part to make out.

So my point is focus on the mechanics of the design first, any decoration should be used to support your message, not be the message. Try starting with real basic lettering styles first, just to get a hang of it, then figure out ways to add character.

What a fantastic and helpful post. I guarantee you have enough things on your daily schedule that you didn't have to make time to give this valuable lesson, but you did anyway. I commend you for your effort.

phototec

I find it odd that you're working with 14 different random company names and doing mockups but have yet to grasp any of the advice that everyone (especially Joe Diaz) has taken the time to give to you.

I gotta give it to you, you are persistent (or a troll) but I'm not really seeing any improvements here, just more and more random ideas. :peace!:

Wow, it's always better to FIRST decide on a name for your business before trying to develop a logo or branding!

Back up, and pick a name for your business, go down to city hall and register the name if it hasn't been taken.

Then hire a graphic designer to develop you brand (logo), and stick with whatever you select!

Also, take note of what people on here are telling you (especially Joe Diaz), you are asking for help, yet when given, you just go off in a totally different direction, like you didn't even READ the comments?

:banghead:

Marlene

Am I on a show? Where is the hidden camera? No way this is real]

that's what I'm thinking too. this has to be someone playing with us as none of this can be real

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Diaz

that's what I'm thinking too. this has to be someone playing with us as none of this can be real

Shouldn't matter, Even if it is, the help posted by some can be read by others and be helpful to them, even if it isn't helping the OP. I like to look at it this way: If the OP is a troll, those reacting with only negative comments are the only ones really giving into that person's trollness, If you try to be helpful, you may be helping someone else using the OP as an example and also fighting the trollness at the same time. :Big Laugh

Marlene

I wonder about that Joe as there has been an over amount of help and great advice on all the threads concerning this quest for a logo. as far as learning goes, I agree that seeing the worst possible looking logos with a ton of mistakes and just plain lack of any knowledge of any design are helpful to others. these "logos" that have been posted are great examples of what not to do and we have been giving the reasons as to why. if the OP is real, it is clear it I time to give it up as nothing is sinking in. there have been some great ideas given to the OP and none have had any attention paid to them. I just don't think this OP is for real and is a troll as no one can be this bad with no signs of improvement.

J Hill Designs

Little search came up with http://www signs2banners. com/

belonging to someone named Warlick Designs in Redding.

How many Warlick's can their be??????????

check out this gem:

that website said:
[h=2]Creating Your Personal Logo[/h]A place where you tell us what to do and how to do it. Here you get to describe a little about your bushiness, yourself, and what you want us to design! All design time is FREE!

Color Spot North

All I can say is, if this is legit, there was a time I had no idea what I was doing, and I am sure 10 years from now, I might say that about today, but this person is trying to make his or her way through the business landscape, and apparently on their own.

Many of us take things for granted that we have learned over the years, so I can't be too harsh here.

Still, feels deceptive a bit, the random posts, and the information we have available.