• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you hate about your software?

signmeup

Wait! I double clicked the icon with the little hand on it and it worked like Wayne said it would. (only to the artboard though... still no zoom to all objects)Wayne is better than Illy help! (so is my dog)

"Deposit Please"

photoshop's stroke

In Photoshop, stroke loses the sharp corners, even when you apply it to objects/text with them. Not sure why that happens......a pixel is square and it has sharp corners, why not strokes. I have to apply stroke in illy to maintain sharp corners.

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 110

CES020

Illustrator and CorelDraw- wish both of them would allow selective radius, being you could take an object and put a radius on one corner or intersection instead of the "all or nothing" we get. Every CAD program out there allows you to click to objects and it puts a fillet on just those objects. It's been around for 30 years now, yet we can't get it in a graphics package unless we buy after market tools for Illustrator.

I don't understand :(

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I do not like Illy selecting guidelines that are not even visible on the screen.
I often get files from customers with hidden guide lines that show up when I select visible objects to get an idea of the size and one (or both) is 227"

wayne k
guam usa

You can change the guideline colors in the preferences. Or am I missing something?

SkyLinePrints

When creating a cut line in Corel, the Create Boundary function creates the cut line around the object just fine. However, there is no adjustment to it. From what I've read AI has a similar function (can't think of the name) but allows for adjustments so that you can leave a border if required.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I wish AI's rasterizing limit was not so low that you could export a 3x12ft layout as a bitmap (100dpi) without having to open the ai file in Photoshop (that I do not own).

wayne k
guam usa

Can't you just select from the menu object>rasterize and select the resolution there?

signmeup

Illustrator and CorelDraw- wish both of them would allow selective radius, being you could take an object and put a radius on one corner or intersection instead of the "all or nothing" we get. Every CAD program out there allows you to click to objects and it puts a fillet on just those objects. It's been around for 30 years now, yet we can't get it in a graphics package unless we buy after market tools for Illustrator.

Corel added this in X4.... finally. Nice to have.

I would also like to see the size dialogue box go live. That is... when I start a rectangle I can just type the dimension and it works without having to click inside the dialogue box first.

Pat Whatley

I love working in Illustrator but when I get an ai file that's 45 layers and stroked paths it's a royal pain to convert it to cuttable artwork. I end up switching over to Flexisign because the tools are a lot more intuitive.

signmeup

In Corel I can't get colours to be as vibrant as I would like on screen. The colours print exactly like they appear on the screen... I just can't make them look as pretty as I would like.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator

I agree. Similarly, if you apply the "round corners" function in Illustrator it does not just affect the sharp corners. It also tries to round the parts that are already curved and thus distorts these lines

signmeup

Good idea for a thread....My biggest pet peeve for years using Illustrator is that it still does not have a collect for output function or package function that will gather all your links and fonts into a folder for release. Am dumbfounded they have not included this function yet. I have read there are scripts you can install to do this, and have tried them with limited success, but c'mon...! This would be HUGE and I don't see why they haven't done it yet.

That, and the fact that it crashes a couple times a day, pretty much all I hate about it.
I ran into this last week. I was flabergasted that it didn't do this automatically. You have to "embed linked bitmaps" (or some such) or they just don't go along with the file. Who would put a bitmap into a file if they didn't want it there? I figured this out buy dicking around in the online help files for a half hour and then calling a friend who told me how to do it. (snarky again.... sorry)

signmeup

The fillet a single corner function is in Corel X4 under window/dockers/fillet/scallop/chamfer
It's a little primitive but it's there and it works.

SignManiac

There's only one thing that has annoyed me with Corel and it might not even be an issue with Corel, but rather an issue with MicroSoft Outlook.

When I copy and paste text from Outlook into Corel, say text from an email, it places it as a "document object on layer one". It won't let me convert that line of text to artistic text. If I copy and paste from notepad; text or a line of copy from the interweb, it works fine. Bugs the hell out of me.

Marlene

Gerber Omega

the only thing that bugs me and I'm not sure if it is software or my 'puter is when I scale down a .PLT file and make a .jpeg I have to close ot of the program and re-open it or the .PLT file will be the re-sized down to whatever size the .jpeg was made. it's a little thing but can be a real pain. like I said, n ot sure if this is software or not.

garisimo

Ah, Illustrator, how I lovthe thee. Here's my list:

• No way to assign tools (eyedropper, text tool) to function or command keys ($10 to the person who can point me to a workable solution)*
• Text on a path -- OMG! check out 4:40 on this video. And then watch the entire video.
• Many settings cannot be saved -- can anyone tell me how to get all the Preview check boxes defaulted to check?

-g-

*Actually, I'll give $10 to anyone who can give me an elegant way to switch between the eyedropper and text tools using a command combo or function key.