• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you hate about your software?

Joe Diaz

you know what ... color me purple ... i can do perspective ... alright scratch that ... still can't do arc curves or boolean warps ... that is flexi and illustrator still. ... makes me happy though. :rock-n-roll: one less negative for corel.

Did you see the thing about the "envelope tool" I wrote? That may help you out with your arc situation.:wink:

That is why this is a good thread, It get's us to open up about the things that bother us about our software without turning into a "corel is better than illy" or visa versa topic. And you never know when someone will say, "hey that bothered me too, but I found out if you do this ____ it will work."

Good idea for a thread Vector Doctor.:thumb:

Charlie J

Flexi:

• Dislike the pen tool compared to illustrator. Don't like having to hold the shift key to get it to follow the curve.
  • Doesn't rasterize worth d*ck
  • For some reason I can never get it to copy paste images from the web???
  • I have issues with tabs within paragraphs.
  • Sucks with transparencies.
  • No raster drop shadows

Illustrator:

• Limited artboard space.
  • Cant crop a bitmap like in flexi, have to pull it back into photoshop. (not a huge deal but it seems like it should be able to do that.)
  • It seems like it never saves my color swatches.
  • I wish it had more vector tools like flexi.
  • Default Black always looks kinda gray.

WildWestDesigns

Wings Modular:

Probably the biggest complain that I have is that it doesn't digitize raster files correctly when it comes to text. I always have to come in and manually remove stitches in the negative space(s) of "A", "B", "D" etc (upper and lowercase).

I actually have yet to find any software that will digitize raster files correctly with regard to text. That's a big reason why I always like getting EPS 3.

signmeup

You can't crop a bitmap in Illy?!

I hate resizing bitmaps in Illy. I have to hold down a key to keep from distorting the bitmap. I can never remember the correct key the first time. I like that Corel keeps the bitmap undistorted as the default. You have to hold down a key if you want to mess up the bitmap... or just drag from the sides.

ionsigns

VinylMasterPro...nothing to hate. Hate yours. It's all in your mind.

Ever listen to Zig Ziglar? W. Clement Stone. Robert Schuller? Dale Carnegie? et al. I have never used software that sucks, I will probably never understand why people complain...but for now...thanks for the positive attitude.

WildWestDesigns

I have never used software that sucks, I will probably never understand why people complain...but for now...thanks for the positive attitude.

I don't think anyone is really saying that any software as a whole sucks, they each have their failings as well as their strong points. No software is perfect, but I wouldn't say that any software that I use sucks, but they do have their strong and weak points.

mikey-Oh

No, you can clipping mask it, which does the same thing if you're feeling lazy.

True, but good luck centering the masked objects if the chosen area's are not already centered.
Great thread overall, nice to see I'm not the only one :frustrated:
p.s. masked objects in Flexi 7.6v2 can jump in a pond

GypsyGraphics

it's no secret i'm a huge InDesign fan girl! there's very little i don't love about it... but there is one thing that frustrates me to no end, when i run into it is...

big ol' mutli page file, finally ready for pre-press and the output... stopped cold by a funky stray spot color. inconvenient but not a huge deal in a file of just a few pages but what if it's 200 pages with 1,000 linked images.

why the heck don't i get to know which link contains that maddening PMS color????

been a while since i've had to deal with that size file or a bunch of images from other designers... but still a royal PITA when it happens.

i'm hoping there's a solution i just don't know about, because it sure is a stupid thing to get stuck on when it's the only thing holding up a job.

ForgeInc

Gypsy, Couldn't you Make a box or shape with said color, and then do a "select same" fill color?

COme to think of it, that might not work with a color in a linked file. Worth a shot tho.

signmeup

VinylMasterPro...nothing to hate. Hate yours. It's all in your mind.

Ever listen to Zig Ziglar? W. Clement Stone. Robert Schuller? Dale Carnegie? et al. I have never used software that sucks, I will probably never understand why people complain...but for now...thanks for the positive attitude.
VinylMasterPro? I can't see anywhere in this thread that VinylMasterPro posted. :help

TheSellOut

So is a clipping mask the same as a powerclip?

Not sure what a powerclip is SignMe, but as far as a clipping mask in Illy..draw any vector shape you like, place it over your bitmap (or combination of bitmaps and vectors), make sure you "bring it to front", select everything you want clipped then...

Object>Clipping Mask>Make (right click "Make Clipping Mask)

Great thread V-Doc!

weaselboogie

Not sure what a powerclip is SignMe, but as far as a clipping mask in Illy..draw any vector shape you like, place it over your bitmap (or combination of bitmaps and vectors), make sure you "bring it to front", select everything you want clipped then...

Object>Clipping Mask>Make (right click "Make Clipping Mask)

Great thread V-Doc!

Powerclip is very similar. You can put anything (vector or bitmap) inside any other object (vector). I'm not sure if illustrator is truly clipped, but with corel, you can move it around and edit it inside the other shape.

signmeup

Powerclip is very similar. You can put anything (vector or bitmap) inside any other object (vector). I'm not sure if illustrator is truly clipped, but with corel, you can move it around and edit it inside the other shape.
Clipping mask = Powerclip. Seems exactly the same to me.
Love this thread! Just learned something else I didn't know.

Can you make Illustrator open up to a page or "artboard" when it starts or do you have to frig with that dialogue box to choose a page before you can get underway?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Illustrators artboard limit of 200 inches (for bringing into PS). I generally work at 1/4 scale anyways.

Piss poor dealing with soft drop shadows (waiting for it to rasterize them all the time - I avoid em' but customer love putting soft shadows on crap they send us). I want the default black to ALWAYS be RGB 0,0,0.

Joe Diaz

You know what I hate about all of them. Unless the art is pretty simple, they don't communicate with each other very well. Corel has a hard time opening some files created in illustrator, and Illustrator has a hard time opening some files created in Corel. (replace "corel" and "illustrator" with flexi or something else and the statement is still true)