• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you prefer gloss or matte vinyl?

gabagoo

I generally print 95% of everything on gloss vinyl but it dawns on me that matte looks so much nicer and doesn't show every defect from application as easily. ( no reflections) I am seriously considering moving over to matte for most printing. What do you guys prefer?

Circleville Signs

I don't prefer. I just look at what the print is being used for. Then i decide what vinyl fits that use best :)

Gary

p.s. - matte looks better.

SOA

i prefer matt but we go with what the customer wants, if they want gloss but need laminate i print to matt tho! Matt is nicer to apply 4 some reason!

gabagoo

Gloss for outdoor stuff, matte for indoor.

why?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I never even ask customers what they want. I guess I am so used to the vinyl world where everything is basically gloss it just isnt part of my repetoire. I am going to start to ask and see if I can move more into matte

astro8

General rule is gloss outdoor..matte indoor..

Gloss indoors can look cheap, matte outdoors can look cheap.

We follow this rule 95% of the time...

astro8

What he said... plus matte indoors means less glare under harsher inside lighting.

That's the main reason I s'pose..outdoor you want to see the shiny bits but indoors you don't, especially menu boards and such...any glare, you can't read it and it imparts a look of cheap crap.

Ken

Yes, I'm just about ready to introduce a chalk-art signage for retail stores..and I really think a matte vinyl will give the desired result.
Outdoor..gloss...indoor..matte.
Cheers!
Ken

advsign22

Too me it seemed that the matte showed dirt easily. I done a pair of magnetics and they just did not look as good after a while but it could have been me.

Ken

Rising

Interesting subject. We have been moving more towards the matt finish ourselves for outdoor use, but of course always matt for indoor.

Astro, I really dont agree that matt finished graphics for outdoor applications look cheap, far from it, it gives a nice finish in our opinion. When just cutting plain vinyl logo/text then that tends to be gloss all the way but matt finish digi prints look nice, gloss laminate is far too shiny I think, our customers are happy with what we produce for them.

No one has mentioned lustre finish where we could all meet in the middle. :Cool 2:

Steve

astro8

Hi Rising...yes lustre is a nice look...my favourite actually.

I think the reasoning about the gloss for outdoor is that matte isn't perceived as durable as gloss to most customers, (here anyway)...I am echoing my customers comments more than my own preferences though I suspect.
We do use matte and lustre outdoors...and in certain situations it's the perfect choice..the 5% I mentioned.

But the general rule still applies, gloss outdoors, matte indoors and you (we) can't go wrong.

astro8

I'll just add, demographics probably play a part...no one has ever enquired about a matte wrap and we get plenty of wrap enquiries. I've yet to see one over here either.

gabagoo

I have not seen lustre digital vinyl unless of course you are talking laminates. Brings me to the next question. Does using a matte laminate on a gloss vinyl result in the same after look as matte on matte? I have actually never tried it but I definately will order in a full roll of matte and take the advice about indoor prints. I would agree with the comment made that matte vinyl would attract more dirt as it would not slide off as easily, if that makes any sense...no ,its early here (sleepless night again) I am not operating at full capacity yet....

astro8

I'm talking laminates as we laminate 95% of everything.
Yes, matte laminate over matte or gloss vinyl results in the same look...or so close you can't tell anyway.
I don't think the matte laminate actually gets 'dirtier'... just the perception that it does is part of the reason that we use gloss outdoors.

I'll also add that when you matte lam an indoor print it just seems to add $$$ to the look.