Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you print on when a client requests posters

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by gabagoo, Aug 18, 2020.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    In the past I found that trying to print on paper costs more than printing on vinyl, and I find that my solvent printer, prints better on vinyl. I usually use that but what if someone wants paper. Where are you sorcing it from?

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Buy solvent print poster paper. The kind we use is 6 mil, 45# Gloss photorealistic paper. It's 34 cents a square foot, which is less than calendared print film. Prints photorealistic just like its name.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    I honestly don't bother, those franchise office print stores (officeworks in australia) are just far cheaper.
    I always have the cheapest of cheap blueback paper in stock and cheap coated paper, but that's for me to do test prints with. time to time i'll print a poster on on it for a client, but for what it's worth, i usually send them to officeworks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
    I outsource posters, I have a supplier that will do as low a quantity of twenty five 12" by 18" posters for about $40 including shipping on 100lb gloss, one hundred 24" by 36" for under $5 each. The labour for trimming is about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

We use Sihl 3686.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Active Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    As long as you use photo base paper for solvent printers you are good to go...there is a third party material we use called Diamond Digital...great photo base papers, (true gloss), roll up film for retractable and their backlit film is amazing...and inexpensive. Diversified Display Product out of NJ carries the line.

7. SeeEmWhyKay

SeeEmWhyKay Print Plug & Pigment Procurer

Apr 22, 2020
    Fresno, Ca
    We use the HP Photorealistic Paper- we buy it from Grimco. We can use it on our HP R2000 or on the Canon Colorado (which prints beautifully). Sometimes if they want something a bit more substantial I will print to a 24 pt cardstock like Tango on the Flatbed. It just depends on what they need it for. We can throw it on the OCE colorwave if its something really chinsy. If your customer is trying to just squeeze you, send them to Vistaprint- You have staff to pay.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jay Grooms

Jay Grooms Printing, Printing, Printing......

Nov 20, 2018
    Burlington Wisconsin
    8 mil matte paper.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Synthetic paper. Anyone's brand.

• Like Like x 1
  10. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    We source to a local printer, we simply can't beat their prices and we don't get enough requests to purchase a roll.

However, if it's a one-off poster or a really easy size we might throw it nested into one of our jobs if there's room in the margin. Or on waste vinyl. Maybe apply it to something thin around, or just give it to them as is, depending on what they're using it for/how temporary it is.

11. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    On the Epson we use coated eco sol paper. Yes it costs more than cheap vinyl.
    We can use cheap uncoated paper on the Colorado, even bond paper for super cheap posters.

12. ChenangoCreativeLabs

ChenangoCreativeLabs New Member

Aug 9, 2020
    New York
    I just use my trusty old epson 9600. Pretty much the only reason to keep it around.

13. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    have you tried the IJM801 on the Colorado? Prints great and is actually a cheap media from canon!

14. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Haven't tried that paper.
    We're using Top Color uncoated from Canon. It's surprisingly cheap from Canon.
    It's only 1067 wide but that's fine for most posters.

16. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    We use that for our colorwave! The ijm801 is 130gsm silk and is around that price. One of the ones they claim they made specifically for the Colorado. 120m rolls too! Definitely worth a try.

17. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    I'll look at that for sure.
    Thanks for the tip.

18. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Whether you print them yourself or send them out depends on the quantity. If they want 250 24x36 posters, sure, send them out. My printer charges $558 plus shipping for them. But if they want 25 of them, the same printer charges $534 plus shipping. I'm pretty sure you will find it worthwhile to print small orders yourself, if the going wholesale rate is $25 each.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Sihl 3672 (200gsm) or 3673 (130gsm) for matte poster prints.
    Both are cheaper than any vinyl we stock.

20. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Thanks guys...it is one of my regular clients and the request is for one of their clients but there are 15 different files and the order could be 1 5 or 10 copies of any of the 15, so it is not something I want to outsource, especially during these times when I have more than enough time to print inhouse.

• Like Like x 1