Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you print on when a client requests posters

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by gabagoo, Aug 18, 2020.

1. JetPress

JetPress Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Texas
    SIHL 3686 TriSolve Poster Paper. I don't think we've ever tried any other kind but we like it and never had any problems printing on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dayandnightsigns

Dayandnightsigns New Member

Jul 14, 2020
    San Diego
    We have an EPSON SURECOLOR S40600, for any chance do you know if is this material compatible with our eco solvent printer?

3. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

We use an Epson Surecolor S70670. Before that a Mimaki JV3. I am sure the paper works with solvent inks. It's made for it. The product is Magic Gloss Photo. Magic used to be called Intellicoat, but somewhere along the line changed names. You can get it from Grimco or Fellers or innumerable other dealers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    For our usual runs on “standard” poster paper we buy in a 190gsm semi-gloss and it’s about $0.08/sqft (based on exchange rates). Still very cheap, runs like a dream and the margins are considerable.

5. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    You run this media on the Colorado UV or the solvent?

6. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Runs on both. Though we run about 95% of our jobs through the Colorado. The mimaki is mostly a backup and/or printing HTV.

Watching that mimaki do a full roll in ~7 hours is tedious now lol

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  7. tollerdad

tollerdad Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Have had good luck with Neenah Photo on HP 560.

8. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    All Graphic Supplies sells GB 7mil 54" roll for $100.

9. PortlandPrint

PortlandPrint New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Portland, OR
    I have been using the Roland paparazzi photo matte. It is 38 cents a square foot in a single roll. I have some other gloss paper that is much much cheaper but I have not been able to get it to print all that nice.

Issue for me is how slow my printer is.

10. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Have you noticed inconsistencies in the finish after printing? I've brought some in a few years ago and the final product looked mottled.

11. 10sacer

10sacer Active Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Concord, NC
    I have a dedicated flatbed and print a lot of thin .010 or .020 styrene. I keep any drops over 48 x 48 and print one off posters on them for folks. Cheap and easy and waterproof and if they want it to adhere to a wall or window, I use a removable microperf adhesive from Drytac and make it into a "decal" of sorts. Can be put on face of print or back.

12. Geneva Olson

Geneva Olson Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Webster, TX
    I print on cheap sticker material. and give it to them with the back on it.

13. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have done that in the past but the shrinkage issue will be seen sooner or later

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    thank you will check it out

15. Board Printing Company

Board Printing Company New Member

Aug 6, 2020
    London
    There are several different materials like paper and vinyl that you can use to print a poster. You can also try using Eco-Solvent Poster Paper. It’s a soft textured matter paper with a white surface that can be used for different types of artwork. It is also lighter in weight compared to most other fine art papers. It is known for its durability which is provided by the tough surface that’s crated by printing with UV, latex, and eco-solvent inks.

It has an archival quality which is ideal for artists that are looking to expand into different businesses providing posters. The durability offers a long life to the posters. It also reduces the risk of ready to frame prints being damaged easily by anyone handling them. There are also different types of Eco Solvent material that are used for several different purposes like Eco-Solvent Polyester Canvas, Eco-Solvent Poly-Cotton Canvas, Eco-Solvent Paste Up Wallpaper, Eco-Solvent Velvet Art Paper. These materials might be suitable for some other purposes which might not be of interest to you. But if you want to print posters, I’d suggest you get in touch with Board Printing Company and get your prints delivered to you. We will also be able to guide you properly knowing your exact requirements and will suggest the best paper to print posters on.

16. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Depending on the qty we run Roll to roll thru the UV (short runs or satin prints) & larger runs thru the Latex (glossy). Either way they come out awesome for us on our 9 or 17 pt poster paper.

17. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Paper poster material usually, but for longer lasting water proof posters, we print on the same material for our roll up banners, a polypropylene with the grey back.