• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you study?

Lauren

Not sure which forum this belongs in (Fred, help me out!), but I wanted to discuss this with some fellow sign industry people. I just read somewhere that if you read for 1 hour every day in your chosen field, in 7 years you will become an expert. So that got me wondering, what do you all read? Magazines, websites, blogs, something else? I am new to the industry and am hungry for information, but I definitely haven't found any favorite sources yet. What are your favorites?

GWSigns

I am a college student, so I have textbooks, eLibrarys and more in the field - Psychology, Mediation, & Conflict Resolution, but I also read alot of business articles generally online and in Linked In.

I read a bit of all sorts of topics because I like to keep myself informed and up to date. I will do random searches and zero in on particular subjects on certain days.

I try to stay current on Social Media, Marketing, & General Sign industry stuff. I like to learn about the equipment and processes, but my main focus here is the front end customer service and marketing aspects.

Biker Scout

Since this industry is also hands-on... the answer is two fold. Yes, reading, but also taking hands on classes and workshops whenever you can. There's some really awesome guy on here that holds classes up in Canada... but he's sought after from around the world. Makes some of the most awesome stuff I've ever seen! He carves signs and props outta foam. But his techniques apply to regular sign shop stuff as well. I can't recall his name, but I'm sure he'll pop up on here. One of these days I'm going to make the trip, when I get moved over to a larger workshop. So I can have a dedicated foam room again.

Anyway, subscribe to Sign Craft, Wide Format, and Big Picture. Read all the articles, the ads too. I learn a lot from the ads. Go to their websites. Also, attend the trade shows as well.

I'm an autodidact, so this just kinda comes naturally to me. And it won't take 7 years to become an expert in the sign industry. Just know your substrates, your consumables, your materials and their proper application and you should be set. Stay on top of new trends that come down the pike and don't be afraid to try out new stuff and techniques. Who knows, through trial and error, you may stumble across something that people should know and then you become the expert! :smile:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Excellent topic, and three cheers for all the other autodidacts here on the forum. As a student, my later grade school years were pure torture and I struggled well in to my early high school years before my love for learning kicked in. Now, learning is an addiction I've come to embrace and nourish daily.

For me, my areas of study include Bible, business biographies /business people biographies, a strange mix of trade journals, leadership and management. At the beginning of the new year, I will be venturing down the finance & accounting pathway since I'm just a one man show and want to keep on top of things.

In a previous career, I was strictly left-brained but after having the opportunity to teach an architectural drafting course, that all changed. I now venture deep into "right-brained territory" and I absolutely love the freedom...that's why I joined this forum. In general, I would say that I now dwell somewhere in "middle-brain territory"...oscillating frequently between the two.

JB

Biker Scout

You know there are audio wave form files you can listen to that help the brain function on both halves. centerpointe.com They are awesome!

GWSigns

You know there are audio wave form files you can listen to that help the brain function on both halves. centerpointe.com They are awesome!

I am going to have to look into that.

I began this year listening to audio Bible daily and it has helped me tremendously to keep focused and really learn and retain scripture.

I grew up in a household where learning was THE most important thing. My father taught us "games" to learn and retain information, making learning fun. If you do not keep your mind moving, you better REALLY love where you are because there you shall remain.

Another great site is Luminosity - filled with brain exercises, though it is not free.

I have discovered, it is better to know about a multitude of things than it is to completely focus on one - knowledge crosses barriers and fields of study you would never think of previously. By having awareness of many things, you develop a dimensional understanding that is so much fun.

One of my favorite quotes is -
“Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing.” - G. M. Trevelyan

peavey123

For me, I've almost always been "self-taught". Well since highschool...since I went to a school that was run like a college. We had lecture days where you must attend school, but any other time you could basically do what you please, wherever you please. I believe this really helped for times like now, where almost anything you want to know is at your fingertips on this internet thing-a-ma-doo.

I ended up studying graphic design in college. It was an admittedly bad design program. Focusing on the tools (software, hardware) more than design itself. Then I got my start in the sign business, which was when I discovered S101! yah! lol This site has taught me so much about the sign business. From printer issues to design to materials. S101 has been such a great resource for me. I learned a lot from this place.

Then I got my first job in the "biz" where I was technically the print manager and designer, but I also got my hands dirty and try my hand at installs and production which was great. I've also had the pleasure to work with some people who were very knowledgeable in the industry. I got to paint a mural with a master mural artist. I helped a vehicle wrapper wrap -I really just held vinyl for the guy, but man I learned a lot by just helping this guy. So I basically studied these people when I had the chance and picked their brains as much as I could, or just asked their opinions on my work or the work that was around. I also studied the signage that was coming from big companies etc.

Now I'm more focused on learning other things like 3D imaging and web design & photography. So I may never be an expert at anything, but I am always learning something as technology keeps evolving.

TL;DR - Reading is overrated! I studied my peers and used The Internetz with a little schooling thrown in there.

MikeD

It's important to study technical aspects of sign making software; design and output, as well as the anatomy of your tools. I've found that an equally beneficial avenue of study is focused on things outside of our industry... what new ideas are being hashed out by other people? How can those concepts be integrated into our industry? Aside from industry specific topics, it's good to keep on top of science and humanities in order to find out how to best make things people want.
I have to add that signs101 members have made my brain bigger and more efficient by the way.

Good luck in your adventure!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Most of this stuff is what I've answered before, but I stil' read and peruse through all this from times to time...

Reading an hour a day is not going to hurt, but it has to be something
that applies to this business. I read more than an hour a day. I'm not
self taught, went to school and was trained by various mentors and shops
and design firms along the way. It's a tall order to understand all the types
of signs you are working on without some guidance.

I did not see an introduction but I'll assume you know some graphic
design. I see from where you work you are pretty much involved in
all types of signs.

If not:
Study the Design process.http://www.davidairey.com/what-is-the-graphic-design-process/
Look at this - http://vimeo.com/8930131
Read this: http://www.aiga.org/guide-designersneedknow/

Out of these basic links, you can study portions of each in various books.

I like the following magazines:

Sign Craft
Signs of the Times
Sign Business
How Magazine
Print
Communication Arts
EG (http://issuu.com/segddesign/docs)

The blogs I like are:

http://www.mr-cup.com/blog/1.html <----- my favorite
http://traditionalsignmaker.tumblr.com/
http://drawsigner.com/
http://draplin.com/
http://designobserver.com/
http://betterletters.co/

Sign Books:

Inside Sign Design
Designing and Planning Environmental Graphics-Wayne Hunt,Gerry Rosentswieg
Urban Entertainment Graphics: Theme Parks & Entertainment Environments-Wayne Hunt
Environmental Graphics: Projects & Process: Projects & Process-Wayne Hunt
Wayfinding: Designing and Implementing Graphic Navigational Systems-Craig Berger
Architectural Signing and Graphics-John Follis,Dave Hammer
City Signs: Innovative Urban Graphics-Gail Deibler Finke
Urban Identities by Gail Deibler Finke
Festival Graphics by Gail Deibler Finke
You Are Here: Graphics That Direct, Explain & Entertain-Gail Deibler Finke
Mastering Layout - The Art of Eye Appeal

I have quite a few books, ones I think are fun to look at and might widen out your skills (and your shops) which is applicable to sign design:

Logo Design:

Building a Big Small Business Brand <----- My favorite book right now
LogoLounge Series Volumes 1-8
LogoLounge Master Library
Logo Design for Small Business
Logo Design for Small Business 2
Design Matters: Logos 01: An Essential Primer for Today's Competitive Market (v. 1)
Logo Design Workbook: A Hands-On Guide to Creating Logos
Letterhead and Logo Design 9
Letterhead and Logo Design 10
Letterhead and Logo Design 11
Logo Lab
The Secret Life of Logos: Behind the Design of 80 Great Logos
Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets For Designers-Shel Perkins
Los Logos, Dos Logos, Tres Logos-Roland Muller, Robert Klanten, Nicolas Bourquin, Thorsten Geiger, Mika Mischler

Type:

Thinking with Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students
1,000 Type Treatments: From Script to Serif, Letterforms Used to Perfection

Retro:

New Vintage Type: Classic Fonts for the Digital Age
Hatch Show Print: The History of a Great American Poster Shop
Posters for the People: The Art of the WPA
Logo, Font & Lettering Bible
Euro Deco: Graphic Design Between the Wars
House Industries 10th Anniversary Book <---- Highly recommended, hard to find now
Then is Now: Sampling from the Past for Today's Graphics
Retro Graphics: A Visual Sourcebook to 100 Years of Graphic Design
Retro Style Graphics
Graphically Speaking: A Visual Lexicon... <---- Highly recommended
Tinspiration: The Art and Inspiration of the Fossil Tin

Design and designey books I dig:

The pixar movie books.
Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real
Modern Dog: 20 Years of Poster Art
Gig Posters Volume 1: Rock Show Art of the 21st Century
Art of Modern Rock: The Poster Explosion
The 1000 Series collection... elements, type, retail, packaging, Music graphics, Greetings, bags tags and labels, restaurants are good.
OBEY: Supply & Demand - The Art of Shepard Fairey
Chromaphile
Vernaculis
Symptomatica
Got Your Nose
Izzy's Very Important Job
Big City
Kings Of The Road

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Most of this stuff is what I've answered before, but I stil' read and peruse through all this from times to time...

Holy cats! That's a good bit of education, just in one post.

Food for thought? I'd say more like a banquet.

Thanks again,

JB

jen.reelez

It's important to study technical aspects of sign making software; design and output, as well as the anatomy of your tools. I've found that an equally beneficial avenue of study is focused on things outside of our industry... what new ideas are being hashed out by other people? How can those concepts be integrated into our industry? Aside from industry specific topics, it's good to keep on top of science and humanities in order to find out how to best make things people want.
I have to add that signs101 members have made my brain bigger and more efficient by the way.

Good luck in your adventure!

Right :thumb:
To survive in the business, one should be willing and committed to learn/study more.
Education is an essential thing, but application makes a difference. :Big Laugh

visual800

I must admit I do not like to study anything (as that refelcted in my school grades) I have always preferred the hands on method. However as I have gotten older if there is somethig I would like to know or learn about I will read about it. I do ask alot of questions and if something new is done I like to help or watch others.

Perfect example. Architects are very smart, top of the food chain, but I will go up against any of them on sign materials and placement and longevity of certain materials. Experience trumps books everythime in my opinion

5p00f3r

My sources have been youtube, Google and hands-on.
Unless you come across a certain need it's pretty hard to learn techniques just out of the blue.
in sign business there is always a "?" on how to build, install, or make something work with the square footage allowed. not only that but then it comes the time when you have to do a construction drawing for guys out on the shop and you are like oO? what materials should I use? what are the materials available? whats the best technique to build it, make profit and save time?

so those are things to keep in mind, if you cant design something thats build-able and profit-able then you have a problem.
remember, it always looks good on paper and in your mind, but how about in the mind of the fabricator?

have fun!!!

petepaz

i just look at the pictures. i really like those pop up books.

i read a little of everything but probably not enough of what i need. hard to find time to sit down and focus on reading a book or magazine all the way through but scran through here and there. mostly the trade magazines we get. mostly look at the articles about business it self and installs. pick up a few bits of useful knowledge.

OldPaint

ANATOMY ..................FEMALE.........FOR 60 YEARS.... and still cant say iam an expert)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))