• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you think?

prototype66

Been playing with this design for about 3 years now and now I think I am happy with it but I think I want to lose the rings on the end.

1a.jpg Offsite pic replaced. Please observe our rules on photo posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
3 Years?

What is the concept?
What's the name of the company? Is that a 66?
Lose the squeezy type...

Marlene

tell us why you think it works. not being mean or anything but would like to hear the reasoning behind thinking this is the direction to go in. we often tell the person posting why it doesn't work but think it might be helpful to you to reverse that tell us why you think it works. act like we are the client and this is your concept that you are selling us.

iSign

hmmm in another post a guy said he had 10 minutes into the designs he shared, which I'm quite sure is an exaggeration & therefore wonder why he mentioned it at all...

...now you mention your 3 years of occasional tweaks or "playing" and again, and I have to wonder why you mention that...

...but since you did, I wonder how well you do with the graphic design business in general? Graphic artists often find difficulty in doing designs for themselves, because we can become our own worst client, being eternally picky & demanding... but that should be demanding of the best work & pushing ourselves to keep making improvements, which I can't really say I'm seeing here yet.

If you have the design skills to succeed in this business, then that is what really matters. If some block or other is keeping you from doing better on your own design, read Pat's thread about paying another designer. I was proud of a logo I designed for myself, & I did go through some tweaks over the years, but then I hired Dan Antonelli to explore ways of developing my existing logo, retaining some of the brand recognition I felt I had acquired in my market, while pushing the overall image a few notches higher. Because of my attachment to my old designs, as well as my own "designer" self-identity (for better or worse) it had to be somewhat of a collaboration, but I feel Dan's contributions really took my work well beyond what I had settled for during the previous 10 years...

..so with all due respect, I think your logo would be questionable even for selling peeing Calvin's at the swap meet... but if you sell graphic design... you need some serious help overhauling that logo in it's entirety!
(and by the way... never ever stretch Avant Garde)

Brandon708

I think it needs a fresh start over. The fonts don't work well with each other and you need to lose the yellow rings or the 66. What is 66 anyway? The year you where born?

prototype66

When I say three years I guess that statement is misleading. I designed the logo 3 years ago and I just play with it occasionally. It is the name I have used for a long time so I stuck with it instead of starting over with a new name and everything. It was a nick name given to me and I thought it looked good but everyone has a different idea of what looks good I suppose. I think the type is bold and easy to read and the color combination works well together. With regard to the rings (as in targeting or zoning in on your image) well. I decided I didn't like it so much but haven't removed it yet.
I am open to suggestions as always. You do make a point about the "66" is a bit hard to read but I haven't found another font that I like yet.

Rick

How much research have you done?

Your name has a somewhat 'Avant Garde' techy sound to it but in a 80ish 'Back to the Future' kinda way... But I usually encourage people to have a concept behind the logo design... it does not have to be deep, obscure or clever, but clever would help.

Having seen a bit of your work, how much snooping around have you done? Deviant art has some good designer/illustrators, but most seem like knock-off of good illustrator/designers....

I would look at this....

http://www.tactixcreative.com/
http://www.ragnarama.com/
http://www.illustrationclass.com/
http://www.hydro74.com/
http://blog.iso50.com/
http://www.draplin.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dailypoetics/sets/72057594104389710/
http://www.graphic-exchange.com/

Marlene

I think the type is bold and easy to read and the color combination works well together.

not what I am seeing when I looked at it. you are showing us a mullet. it looks dated. the "futuristic" font just makes it look 1980's. the avant garde with a forced lenght is a no no. it also looks odd with the upper case G in graphic and lower case d in design. the 66 is just plain bad and doesn't work on any level. I usually try my best to find the positve points in a design but I can't see anything that should stay. even to overall silhouette of the design is odd. it's too long and skinny and looks forced in lenght like you needed to fill a space. if I were a client and had hired you for a logo design, your reasons for what you did, "type is bold and easy to read and the colors combo works well together" would not sell the job.

prototype66

I think it needs a fresh start over. The fonts don't work well with each other and you need to lose the yellow rings or the 66. What is 66 anyway? The year you where born?
lol
yes!

I know .....I just like it I guess.
Like I said, I am always open to opinions and suggestions.

iSign

for the record, you don't sound the least bit open to suggestions, nor appreciative of them... but I suppose we could chip away at you, offering free professional advice for you to ignore for another 3 years...

nah, on second thought.. carry on

prototype66

Sounds like I need A major makeover! Thanks a bunch for the honest advice from you! Ill look into the links as well Rick, thanks for taking the time. I guess it is a dated design now that you point it out.

prototype66

for the record, you don't sound the least bit open to suggestions, nor appreciative of them... but I suppose we could chip away at you, offering free professional advice for you to ignore for another 3 years...

nah, on second thought.. carry on
Sorry if I came off that way, wasn't intended. I wouldn't be here if I weren't open to other peoples opinions and suggestions! Honestly seeing how I really haven't done anything but try to answer the posted questions I am surprised you got that impression.Again my apologies if it seemed that way.I am totally open to whatever it takes to become successful at this.
Its just a name.......I can always change it to a more appropriate one for this type of business.

Antd thanks for the "no stretching AG font" Haven't been told that before..good to know

iSign

ok, you do sound appreciative, so I retract that statement.
I can tell you if you do try out suggestions & you post them, you will get lots more suggestions... AND, from my experience, the quicker you go back to the drawing board, and come back here actually SHOWING us you want to try pushing yourself to do a new logo.. while this topic is fresh on peoples minds... that has often been the best recipe for great results, with a great deal of YOUR input in the process, leading to a great deal of pride YOU can feel at the end... but a HUGE improvement from designing in a room full of talented friends offering you support, encouragement & advice...

prototype66

Excellent advice for sure mr iSign! Thanks for that, that is the exact reason I sought out a site where I could find my flaws and correct them before I go out there and fail.
I 'll hit the pad and see what fresh stuff I can come up with. So it is of the majority of opinions I should drop the name and everything ....or the design?
Fresh start or makeover. I want it right before I start this venture.

iSign

unless the name already has a lot invested in it & a lot of recognition by your customers in this new market you are going after... I wouldn't keep it just to keep it... but if you feel you can't afford not to keep it, I'm sure you can still make it work..

my concern is that various companies who outsource manufacturing of a product, will have other more local fabrication facilities involved in manufacturing a "prototype" of a new design... to work the bugs out before outsourcing the massive quantity runs to China etc...

So Prototype Graphic Design... might just look at first reading to be selling Prototype Design.

prototype66

Ya know I hadn't thought of it that way...yikes!
I'm really going to have to give this some thought. I was just going to stick with it but it really doesn't lend it's self to visual graphic design as much as I thought and that wont help me a bit for name recognition.:banghead:.

Rick

One thing about cute names like "prototype"... you have to have an audience, and you have to be able to pull it off.... I'm not against cute names... I have one, but you want people to get it. I'm not gettin' it with your logo

These cats seem to be doing it right... http://www.prototypedesign.net/

prototype66

They do have it goin' on that's for sure. But with the scope of their work I barely notices the logo at all. Too busy looking at their portfolio.! lol
But yea I get what you are saying. I really need to think about this and figure out weather I want to stick with the name or do the Pheonix thing and start new up from the ashes!

Dzrt1st

Upon seeing your logo it immediately reminded me of the TV show "Time Tunnel" which coincidentally aired in 1966. I loved that show.

Attachments

• time_tunnel_big.jpg
    time_tunnel_big.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 71