• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you use to prep a surface?

OptimaGraphix

I would like to know what you guys use to prep a trailer or vehicle for graphics installation. What type of chemicals (alcohol, rags or paper towel,etc....)

S

scarface

Been using rapid prep for years, Love the stuff. Also, i heard that rapid tac fluid can be used as a cleaner too sometimes.

SArkon

All I use is filtered water and one drop of Dawn Disk soap in a spray bottle. Works for me, and I have been using it for over 10 years.

mrmoto95

I wash with Dawn dishwashing detergent.
Then I wipe the area generously with Acetone.
Then with Rapid Tac.

Last edited:

OptimaGraphix

Do you know if Windex mixed with alcohol is bad for the vinyl? will the vinyl not stick well to the vehicles or maybe wrinkle up in a few months because of this mixture?

speedmedia

Do you know if Windex mixed with alcohol is bad for the vinyl? will the vinyl not stick well to the vehicles or maybe wrinkle up in a few months because of this mixture?

Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea. You'll want to use ammonia free anything. I would just stick with alcohol, rapid prep or the like.

Thanks,
Kurt

smdgrfx

We wash with Dawn. Clean with Alcohol and final clean with Rapid Tac or Splash. Been doing that 10+ years.

cptcorn

adad
One clean down with HI-SOLV, and a second wipe down of 50/50 mix of water and 70% alcohol (35% after mixing).