• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What happened to this banner?

Letterbox Mike

Yep X2, banner material gets very brittle when it's cold out, if it's hung too loosely and has enough flex it will crack just like that.

Never warranty a banner, especially one that's customer installed, this is fairly common in the winter.

ABPGraphics

Well, that's weird. Do you know what type of banner material it was? Just wondering if it happened to you recently and if so, if it was the same material.

Thru the years I have seen it - I attributed it to the winds because central Fl is hot 80 to 90% of the time It just seemed some kind of force (wind) just ripped the heck out of it - no i'm not so sure - My suppliers have varied thru the years - Imperial or Royal banner.... usually got 14oz white - supplier that supplied nationally is who i used of course - cant remember names right now

mikeandbobs

I used opti-solve banner material because of the low-cost a while back. I had the same issue with the material, when it was not handled with extreme care. The material is very plastic feeling and not very strong. I switched to Ultraflex for the same cost and found a superior material... 1000 x 1000 denier.

Mainframe

I had that happen in the middle of summer last year, my supplier sent it in to the manufacturer & I eventually got credited for the whole roll, also have not seen the problem since.

MachServTech

This is not a freezing issue, it is a chemical compound issue. The formulation of the PVC is incorrect causing this brittle cracking and flaking issue. The plasticizers which must be added to make PVC flexible were either not mixed in the batch, or were skimped...causing this issue.