• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what happened?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
So, this has happened to me twice now in the past week.
I am using Flexi with my HP315. I load up my items to print. I save and then rip and print. When it starts printing, it prints something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Like I've never seen it before. I was printing a window perf for a dumpster rental company just now and it started printing google maps.

Anybody got a clue as to why it's doing that?

Taryn

Maybe it's trying to tell you how to crack the da Vinci Code or where the Ark is.

I'd bank on possessed too, though. Did you have google maps open when you were printing the perf?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
question, did you ever have a print file for a google map in your queue? and if not, what was on the map? it wasn't Eastern Europe was it?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Maybe it's trying to tell you how to crack the da Vinci Code or where the Ark is.

I'd bank on possessed too, though. Did you have google maps open when you were printing the perf?
question, did you ever have a print file for a google map in your queue? and if not, what was on the map? it wasn't Eastern Europe was it?
ok. so far ya'll have me laughing.

It was window perf so I wasn't about to print the whole map to find out what was on it.
But I haven't had google maps open on it. Like I don't search for anything on that computer. So i don't know what it was.

Boudica

Sorry I couldn't be of any actual help - I don't have Flexi. But... if you've never printed a map... that does sound a bit posessed. How's your partners sense of humor... does he prank you a lot?
And, I also really want to know what the map was. Specifically, an OLDER map of say... the USSR?

netsol

Geneva,
It's time to clear all the temps
If there is a c:\temp folder EMPTY IT
then go to c:\users go into the name you recognize. Put your cursor at the top of the address bar and add \appdata
Then choose local\temp. Empty it
Do the same for roaming\temp
Then windows\temp

Go to control panel \network and internet
Clear browsing history
It opens a dialog eith seven or eight check marks, check ALL BUT THE FIRST, delete

If you use chrome, go to upper right corner, click the gear, cler browsing history

DO A RESTART

THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY PLACES FOR MALWARE TO HIDE

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Every now and then, the EFI rip will use whatever god awful font was last (or one before last) used in illustrator, only for the job info footer ticket. Some fonts really look like $4!t at 6pt.
But this is driven from a mac, so can't be badoutsideforces.

Boudica

Ooooh, you think this could be a malware targeting industrial printers? Or heck, regular printers alone it would likely jump to many of ours.
Indeed. But we really should focus on the space alien angle. They of course have better technology...

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I was about to post this before I reread your original post. I guess the answer is because the office has windows...
I'm gonna go on and steer this towards signs for a moment, excuse the interruption but; why on earth are you printing perf for a dumpster?

I too am interested in what map it was printing.
It's a dumpster company and we printed window perf for the back glass of the window.

WildWestDesigns

To be fair, yes it is conspiracy-oween season around here. But my comment was legit! Imagine Russia targeting cheap printers running in Ukraine, some likely to be hp's, making malware without limits and letting it go... I'll say the security on many printers is likely to be lax, because who is gonna mess with sign folks?

Security for printers is pretty much nil other than for DRM on the inks (or for preventing users from being able to service their own machines). That's about the only security that they have, as far as I would be concerned about anyway. One would be surprised what is stored in the printer's memory. And while bad actors may not be going after large format printers specifically, one would be surprised about what documents are printed on a regular office printer, so I would say it would be a fount of info to get as well.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
To be fair, yes it is conspiracy-oween season around here. But my comment was legit! Imagine Russia targeting cheap printers running in Ukraine, some likely to be hp's, making malware without limits and letting it go... I'll say the security on many printers is likely to be lax, because who is gonna mess with sign folks?
View attachment 158457
I'm sure there's tons of sign making going on in the Ukraine right now. Grimcos making their deliveries in an armored car.

Boudica

I wonder if somehow a print that was supposed to be sent to a desktop printer was received by the latex printer instead.
sometimes when my computer updates, it looses the default to my desktop printer, and tries to print to the first large format printer on the network it sees. a few times I didn't catch that and hit print. nothing ever prints though.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I FIGURED OUT WHAT IT WAS! Now I need help how to fix it. Anybody have flexi?
The google map was actually part of a shutterstock image that we printed for the back of our garage door. For some reason my "output" in the print manager grabbed a file and started printing it. So, I know what it did..I don't know why it did it or how can i prevent it from happening again without deleting the whole output section. which is fine because i save the files. but it's a flexi problem? anybody know what's going on?