• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What happens to all the repossessed printing equipment?

Dice

We have bought some equipment at aution. Keep your eye in the public notices in the paper. We have also bought two shops out before they filed, got stuff for pennies on the dollar. And yes one of them was a competitor.

Mosh, how did you know they were going out of business? Did they contact you?

One of my competitors contacted me to buy them out or merge, they just wanted to get out of the business, but had unreasonable expectations for what their company was worth.

Dice

I got a 64" full-solvent printer for $600 at an auction -- a little (read: a lot) of TLC (but no hardware changeouts) and I am now in the printing biz :thumb:

How did you pull that off? I need a second 64" and for $600 bucks I would buy 10!

J Hill Designs

actually a friend in the sign biz (different city than ours) picked it up so that noone in his neck of the woods could, then called us and asked if we wanted it

jiarby

Do printing company who had their printer repo'd has to pay for the remaining of the lease term?

If they were paying at all then they wouldn't be getting repo'd! They get sued by the leasing company. They still dont pay. Leasing company gets default judgement. Printer declares bankruptcy. Hopefully he didnt sign a Personal Guarantee, but if so, lather-rinse-repeat on the personal side.

kingofwraps

ive bought a couple of rolands from repo companies and saved alot of money! the key is to buy them as soon as they get in, so u have less risk of anything major being damaged.

The Equipment Guy

My company places used, demo & repo equipment. I deal with every supplier in my area and have agreements in place with them to get servicing, installation and even service contracts in place. If you are looking to buy something that is a roll of the dice that you can get ultra cheap, sometimes I can even tell people where to go and pick up machines for parts. As Rick said above, don't expect these to be shut down properly. I have also watched machines go at auction for full pricing as well. It can be a crap shoot. If you have a good distributor in your area you should be able to get an honest opinion based on your relationship that is not clouded by a desire for them to make a quick sale. They quite often know the machine you will be asking about. I personally try not to ever sell anything that cannot be serviced or that you cannot obtain a service contract on.

klmjff

yup...I got an Hp Designjet 9000s for $1400 in excellent condition. Also a Seal Image 62 for $400. These leasing companies don't know what they have. Why spend 10s of thousands on a brand new piece of equipment thats just making the dealer rich??

BALLPARK

I am currently looking at an AJ-1000 for about 1/3 the cost of it new. I am going to inspect the machine. They said it was professional cleaned, flushed and shutdown.

I will know more once I inspect it.

But asset management firms are a good place to look. ;)

James605

AuctionZIP... I found a vp540 on there. called roland with the ser.# and they said it was bought 2 months ago. The guy died and they sold it all. I got the brand new VP 540 and other smaller odds and ends and vinyl for 9k

binki

our embroidery vendor has a numbe of repos. the leasing company works out some deal to sell them.