• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What I did with my spare time this summer.

signmeup

The house I built 22 years ago needed a new roof this year so I spent most of my spare time fitting white cedar shingles to it. Finally finished the job today. There are roughly 4000 hand fitted shingles per side on there. The planks will come down on the weekend, after I have a little rest. The last push was a bit tiring and my knees hurt. Note the curved roof.

Attachments

• IMG_3512sm.jpg
    IMG_3512sm.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3513sm.jpg
    IMG_3513sm.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3518sm.jpg
    IMG_3518sm.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 135

signmeup

man dancing pancakes dont mess around. that is awesome. looks like something out of a postcard.
Thanks. The house is based on a house that was built on Cape Cod around 1650ish with a bowed roof. We liked the style so much we built our own version. It looks quite pretty with a little snow on the roof.

signmeup

Did you shingle the ridge or just leaving the lead?
Just lead. I had ridge boards last time with lead over them but by the time I was close enough to see the detail, I was too close to the house to see the detail because of the curve in the roof if that makes any sense.

GP

marvelous work -

Makes me want to get out the down comforter, sit by the wood stove and pick guitar all winter.

You have truly left your mark with a project like that.

GP

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Wow! that's a steep roof. I may have tackled something like that when I was younger. I haven't done any wood shingle work since I was a about 17. Nice job.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

marvelous work -

, sit by the wood stove and pick guitar all winter.

GP

Thanks for the visual. "Rollin' in my sweet baby's arms, rollin' in my sweet baby's arms, gonna lay around this shack, 'til the mail train comes back, rollin' in my sweet baby's arms" (G run right here)

signmeup

Well, at least you won't have to worry about doing it again for 75-100 years.

Take an advil and have a :beer on me!
I'm hopeing for 30 years. You can't get old growth cedar anymore. Meh...I'll be 80 by then and I probably won't give a crap if the roof leaks.