• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is a Vinyl Sticker and what is a Vinyl decal?

tim99

for us its more to what material

customer comes in and wants a butterfly sticker on there back window - calendared material
customer comes in and wants company logo decals on doors of vehicle - cast material

so many different terms for what vinyl really is. "decal" has a higher quality sound to it compared to "sticker"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If ya really wanna sound like you know what you're doing...... call it :

Adhesive Backed Pressure Sensitive Digitally Printed Contour Cut Graphics. That way it covers stickers, decals, translucents and all that other neat sh!t you can do with the 'Push" of a button. No talent in, no talent out, just a highfalutin complexity.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm so confused. What the heck is that little forty-nine cent rectangle I adhere to the top right corner of my envelopes?

JB

Andy D

STICKERS
attachment.php

DECALS
attachment.php

Attachments

• sticker.jpg
    sticker.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 523
  • decals.jpg
    decals.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 559

T_K

If ya really wanna sound like you know what you're doing...... call it :

Adhesive Backed Pressure Sensitive Digitally Printed Contour Cut Graphics. That way it covers stickers, decals, translucents and all that other neat sh!t you can do with the 'Push" of a button. No talent in, no talent out, just a highfalutin complexity.

Now don't go scaring off the customers with that crazy technical language! You know their eyes just crossed!

Pippin Decals

For me i think of "stickers as printed decals of vinyl and decals as single or mulitple layers of vinyl"...And thats what people come to me and say ,Do you do stickers or decals..So i give them as stated earlier and they understand it that way.. works for me and them lol

ams

A sticker is a cheap piece of crap that doesn't last long and is made by paper printing companies.
A decal is a long lasting vinyl made by a professional sign shop.

S'N'S

Decals must be an American thang, as here in Australia I have never, ever had anyone ask for a Decal.

Dictionary:
sticker

ˈstɪkə/
noun
noun: sticker; plural noun: stickers

an adhesive label or notice, generally printed or illustrated.
    "a disabled sticker for our car"

decal

ˈdiːkal/
noun
noun: decal; plural noun: decals

• a design prepared on special paper for durable transfer on to another surface such as glass or porcelain.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Decals must be an American thang, as here in Australia I have never, ever had anyone ask for a Decal.

Dictionary:
sticker

ˈstɪkə/
noun
noun: sticker; plural noun: stickers

an adhesive label or notice, generally printed or illustrated.
    "a disabled sticker for our car"

decal

ˈdiːkal/
noun
noun: decal; plural noun: decals

• a design prepared on special paper for durable transfer on to another surface such as glass or porcelain.

dictionary
[dik-shuh-ner-ee]
noun

A compendium of word usage, not definitions. A dictionary is descriptive not definitive. It is merely a list of words and their usage of which the editors were aware at the time of publishing.

The only word a dictionary is capable of defining is 'dictionary'. Any reference to a dictionary in any argument dealing with just what something is or is not is committing bob's favorite fallacy; "Argument as lexicon" which, if it isn't a formal fallacy, damn well ought to be one.

decal
/dɪˈkæl; ˈdiːkæl/

Abbreviation for 'decalcomania' and commonly used for graphic images, both text and pictures, that are stuck onto something else.

sticker
[stik-er]

A word used by mouth breathing microcephalics when they're trying to say 'decal'. Often the very same specimens that use the word 'graphic' as a noun.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I remember, a long time ago, when someone said.......... sticker, I think she's done, right before we were ready to sit down to Thanksgiving dinner. :munchie:

decalman

A decal or a dehcal as they say in Canada, is a classy name for a sticker.
We would feel too stoopid, if we told people we just make stickers.

If I drove a truck, I would tell people ,I'm in " logistics" or a "transportation technician" or something.

I'm a graphic designer sounds good.
Truth is, I'm just a putts, that owns a sticker machine. ( the latter sounds bad)

:popcorn:

Brandon708

Personally, I always referred to a cut vinyl such as letters as decals. Printed vinyl I call stickers it they are small and a circle or rectangle. If they are contour cut in a special shape like a customer logo and are say for a car door I call that too a decal.

So basically my thought is if it needs transfer tape to apply it's a decal and if not then it's a sticker.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So OP, what say ye, after all these wonderful answers ??

This thread is like all the printer questions as to which one is the best........ No one knows anything, other then personal emotions and no understanding.
Call it whatever ya like, just don't p!ss off the customer by correcting them and make sure you get paid, before they think they're buying cut out shelf liner paper.:rolleyes: