• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is a Vinyl Sticker and what is a Vinyl decal?

signbrad

Decal is short for Decalcomania

Pauly,
Are you over 100 years old? I first saw that word in an advertisement in an issue of The Hub automotive magazine from 1899.
The ad described it as the easy way to letter a vehicle.

According to one dictionary, decalcomania is an anglicized version of the original french word, décalcomanie.

Brad in Kansas City

phototec

STICKERS
attachment.php

DECALS
attachment.php
Thank you Andy, IMHO you hit it on the head, stickers are what kids put on notebooks etc, usually offset printed on sheets of paper (very cheap) and temporary. The custom vinyl graphics I create either cut vinyl or printed, laminated and contour-cut are considered decals. Yes, they cost more than a sheet of stickers from Walmart!

Marlene

sticker
[stik-er]

A word used by mouth breathing microcephalics when they're trying to say 'decal'. Often the very same specimens that use the word 'graphic' as a noun.

really? how is it that bob gets away with this kind of $hit that would get most banned or the thread closed?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

sticker
[stik-er]

A word used by mouth breathing microcephalics when they're trying to say 'decal'. Often the very same specimens that use the word 'graphic' as a noun.

really? how is it that bob gets away with this kind of $hit that would get most banned or the thread closed?

Because Marlene... bob is the resident Don Rickles cross pollinated with Steven Hawking. He keeps me laughing anyway!

Suz

To add to all the confusion, I call vinyl cuts "Cad Cut Vinyl"... Around here, most people ask me if I cut vinyl. Used to do it by hand years ago, before the invention of the Gerber machine. LOL. If I print vinyl and then cad cut I call it a "Printed Cad Cut Vinyl" and I do have examples of both of those for my Customers to see. Then there is straight stickers. Those I call adhesive back labels or Adhesive back stickers.

Warmoth

Personally, I always referred to a cut vinyl such as letters as decals. Printed vinyl I call stickers it they are small and a circle or rectangle. If they are contour cut in a special shape like a customer logo and are say for a car door I call that too a decal.

So basically my thought is if it needs transfer tape to apply it's a decal and if not then it's a sticker.

I was gonna post exactly this.

Pete Moss

It's purely semantics. Is it a nude or a naked photo? Depends on the situation. For some reason I think most people would agree that paying over $250 for decals sounds better than the same amount on stickers. I have a hard time seeing a sticker as worth more than $.75 a pop. Although you never hear anyone call them bumper decals.

Pippin Decals

Good afternoon,

I cut vinyl in 1, 2 and 3 colors, then overlay each color on top of one another to create "3 color decals".

I see others who print on vinyl and call them decals.

My question is, if you print on vinyl and cut to size, is it a sticker or decal?

Thank you,

Fred
Melbourne FL

To me I consider a decal a non printed product that i make. And Just like how you do it ,Cut vinyl and apply color or colors to get the design you want etc ..

Versus Stickers are printed inks on Vinyl.That's how i describe the difference to my customers And they understand it 100%.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
To me I consider a decal a non printed product that i make. And Just like how you do it ,Cut vinyl and apply color or colors to get the design you want etc ..

Versus Stickers are printed inks on Vinyl.That's how i describe the difference to my customers And they understand it 100%.

Then your clientele are every bit as much the fool as you seem to be. For practice why don't you attempt to explain to them the difference between zero and nothing.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I have Canadian customers, and they call them dehcals. I love it.
They got me saying Dehcals all day.
LOL....we were just discussing this a while ago. Training a new CSR and told her she may be asked about DEH-CULLS. Forgive them, they know not what they do.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Stickers are the annoying sharp things stuck to my shoe laces after traipsing through the woods. And often, the little sticky things in a kids coloring book. We do not make stickers here.

Pippin Decals

Then your clientele are every bit as much the fool as you seem to be. For practice why don't you attempt to explain to them the difference between zero and nothing.

Let’s go to the New Oxford Dictionary and try to break it down. Seller of custom stickers, decals, and labels tend to define these product categories as it suits them .

sticker n. an adhesive label or notice, generally printed or illustrated. <-------- PRINTED

label n. a small piece of paper, fabric, plastic, or similar material attached to an object and giving information about it.

decal n. a design prepared on special paper for transfer onto another surface such as glass, porcelain, or metal sometimes non printed.

Pippin Decals

Personally, I always referred to a cut vinyl such as letters as decals. Printed vinyl I call stickers it they are small and a circle or rectangle. If they are contour cut in a special shape like a customer logo and are say for a car door I call that too a decal.

So basically my thought is if it needs transfer tape to apply it's a decal and if not then it's a sticker.

I agree as well. Imagine that.