• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is it with laminate?

GVP

Perhaps I just can't see it, but why oh why do they not make laminate slightly narrower than the vinyl - say 53" for 54" vinyl? It seems on the face of it such an obvious thing to do? Is it a conspiracy by the kraft paper manufacturers? :help

Gene@mpls

I always thought that would be good too- when we buy lam for our Edge
print vinyl it comes 13" wide- the print is 12" and you cannot cover the
perfs on the edge of the vinyl if you are going to contour cut it.

Artildawn

It's marketing collateral... with the size mismatch, then an additional item can be sold, i.e. the backing paper.

Same reason that hot dogs and hot dog buns come in different quantities.

Sign Works

why oh why would you laminate an edge print? (I guess unless it's for MX decals)

Why oh why would anyone within the industry have to ask such a question?

* Abrasion Resistance
* Chemical Resistance
* Extended UV Durability
* Enhanced Color / Gloss
* Upsale To A Higher Level Quality Product
* Piece Of Mind
* Etc. Etc. Etc.

I do not own and Edge printer but all my Roland thermal resin prints get laminated.

Baz

Oracal and 3M have 54" laminate. Same size as my vinyl. No complaints here. A person would use Kraft paper if the laminate was larger than the vinyl. Paper would go under the vinyl so the extra laminat gets stuck on the paper and not on the roller.

Artildawn

B,
depending on the laminator design, if the lamination exceeds the size of the piece being laminated then you need the backing (kraft paper usually) to prevent the machine from laminating itself and thus jamming.

... and yes it's a conspiracy ;)

threeputt

A person would use Kraft paper if the laminate was larger than the vinyl. Paper would go under the vinyl so the extra laminat gets stuck on the paper and not on the roller.

Or, how about like on ours, where the laminate would immediately stick to the bottom roller when the piece you're laminating clears the roller?

Don't think there's anyway around the Kraft paper issue. We buy ours in the 60" rolls. Laminate and media in the 54" rolls.

Is there any other way?

Baz

The longest pieces i laminate are usually 20-30 feet. At that lenght i can be off almost a half inch at the worst of times (usually do it under a quarter inch). My laminate doesn't stick to the roller. I have never used Kraft paper or a backer board (like some like to use). I have a RS 1400C.

cgsigns_jamie

Or, how about like on ours, where the laminate would immediately stick to the bottom roller when the piece you're laminating clears the roller?

Don't think there's anyway around the Kraft paper issue. We buy ours in the 60" rolls. Laminate and media in the 54" rolls.

Is there any other way?

I used to think craft paper was the only way....

Then I saw this thread .... http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51809&highlight=laminator+craft+paper
And found this video .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvc96adEVyI

astro8

Never use craft paper...even if the print is 2-3 inches narrower than the laminate....never sticks to the rollers.

B Snyder

B,
depending on the laminator design, if the lamination exceeds the size of the piece being laminated then you need the backing (kraft paper usually) to prevent the machine from laminating itself and thus jamming.

... and yes it's a conspiracy ;)

I see. Makes sense. Never had that issue. I use 50" and 54" laminate on 54" media with a Daige QM4. If I have something small I printed on a scrap cut-off I just laminate it by hand on my work table.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Never use craft paper...even if the print is 2-3 inches narrower than the laminate....never sticks to the rollers.

Me too... and I've been known to foolishly lam short 36" wide pieces of perf with the 54" laminate so i don't have to change it over.... can we say "hold your hands high over your head" as the piece comes out?

I get nothing but wrinkles and creases with kraft paper.