• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is it with laminate?

cdiesel

We never use paper either. Our laminator does not have a take up reel, so someone has to roll it by hand (I know..) but it's not that big of a deal if you get a little crooked to trim afterwards. Never sticks to the roller.

Wildpony

I too have never used Kraft paper when laminating with my Daige QM4. If my lam gets off center on a long run, I have never had a problem with it sticking to the rollers. I have been very happy with my Daige.

ddubia

Perhaps I just can't see it, but why oh why do they not make laminate slightly narrower than the vinyl - say 53" for 54" vinyl? It seems on the face of it such an obvious thing to do? Is it a conspiracy by the kraft paper manufacturers? :help

Our supplier sent us the wrong size Oracal 210 laminate. We ordered 54" and they sent 60", or 63", I forget. I never order that size. At any rate, I didn't have time to wait for an exchange so the geenious in me invented the idea of using kraft paper to keep the laminate from sticking to the back table. I quickly tired of that method. Very quickly. I mean really fast. I mean in like 10 feet!

In a fit of rage I took that laminate off the machine and set it up on the chop saw. I intended to cut the roll off at 54". Then I thought, why not cut it at 53"? That would give me 1/2" of play on either side. Besides, I can never print that close to the edge anyway.

So I did just that and have been doing it ever since. Before installing a new roll of laminate I just cut an inch off the roll and it's been a blessing. I can quickly set up to laminate and don't have issues if it runs off just a bit. :thumb:

GARY CULY

FLAME i crack up too...ive never used it .....I swear as im writing this ,i had a man from up in delaware stand right beside me ,watch me run a 4 ft print through my lammer ,WATCHED IT NOW...and stood there and told me i was an idiot for not using craft paper and hell go home and keep using it ...WHY? ican see when the lam is larger than the vinull[just like spelling it that way like jill does ,so back off] i can even have mine skew off on a long run up to a good half inch and it dont wad anything up,,and if the lam is that much bigger than the vinull,,why in the world wouldnt a man get it cut down? especially if you do this every day?...oh well kraft on

B Snyder

In a fit of rage I took that laminate off the machine and set it up on the chop saw. I intended to cut the roll off at 54". Then I thought, why not cut it at 53"? That would give me 1/2" of play on either side. Besides, I can never print that close to the edge anyway.

That's why I only order 210 in the 50" width. I never print wider than 49"

tanneji

the kraft paper is another layer to jam up in there and make wrinkles. We try this new thing called "trimming off the excess" that makes a fantastic difference for those that are concerned about such things. Like gary said, ours can travel a half inch over 20 ft and still not have an issue with the sticking ... of course, now that I said that, it will jam today. fantastic. thanks for jamming my laminator Gary.

S

scarface

I have a roll of Oracal 210 lam and it's a tad smaller than the 30" width

Gene@mpls

Boy- old post- I was surprised that I commented on it long ago. Oh well-
every day is a new day for me. I use 70-80% 30 inch material on my VP540
and I am going to try sawing down my next roll. Several peeps commented on
the lam sticking to the roller- the problem I have- when things stick- is the
lam sticking to the outfeed area after the roller. I have tried waxing it but it
doesn't help much.

To answer the original question...

Going to back to the original question of why the lam is bigger...

Does anyone remember the days before inkjet and solvent printers? Before ADHESIVE BACKED vinyl was readily available?

When I first started in the POP and tradeshow display industry everything we printed came from a lightjet printer on photo paper or poly material. Those rolls were 50". The laminate and glue were 51"... this allowed someone to set up the machine so that one could comfortably feed the 50" roll in and never track off of the lam and glue (or lam and lam...). Well... never is kind of strong... it was easier.

That's why I think it's like that still...

ColesCreations

I said this in another thread but...

Why buy paper? We all have rolls of backing paper we can run through the laminator and put small prints on.

Prints that start to move to one side or the other can be straightened, at least on our Sallmetall Vista, we just move the roll over by turning an adjustment, it will look weird, with slack on one side, but will move.

And- never have a problem with 1" lam on the side, it will still roll off.

And- always use scrap paper or vinyl between and overlapping under prints. Laminate sticks pretty good to silicone rubber... At least if you allow it to happen full width in connection with a long, expensive print and you are out of vinyl and the customer is watching.....

And- lots of practice with long runs help, we have run 40 posters, more than 100' roll to roll without stopping, and without having room for the vinyl to move. (Of course had the option to stop and cut, but sideways adjustment works great.)