• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what is it worth

threeputt

I don't know anything about the printers. I can fix most things with a little talking to.... I know things can go wrong wih printers and they get expensive. How costly are we talking about??? $200-$300 or 1k-3k??

A single head for that printer is about $965.00. (there are two)

Many other consumable parts are $100-300. Some you can install, others you will need diagnostic equipment and some help. (boards are obviously a lot more)

You can also make huge blunders and destroy the motherboard and other power-sensitive circuit boards by not knowing certain things. All of this screams.... 'Roland tech needed'.

Pat Whatley

not that anyone ever listens...but

RUN FOREST RUN

Could not agree more. His business is failing, he wants you to buy it from him, then he offers to come work for you for 50% of gross...while he runs his channel letter and awning business? I'm going to assume you don't know a thing about design, printing, or materials. You're in a small town, he's offering you "his customers" which weren't doing enough business with him to keep him open, but somehow now they're supposed to do enough to keep him employed by you and let you recoup your investment.

Man, there is NO win in this for you.

surf city

Yeah, umm............what Gino, Pat and Dan said. Listen to them, it's nice when people you don't really know give you really, really good advice.

SignManiac

I'd seriously fire up a spliff and then contemplate the meaning of life over a bowl of Cap'n Crunch cereal. You have the potential for some big disappointment and I'm not one to discourage most people.

MikePro

if you're going to make any kind of business plan with your "friend", its either you buy the printer and he can make commission off helping you with sales (including his current clients) OR you become partners, he lets you run the printer out of his shop, and then 50/50 would be a proper arrangement for the work that comes of it...

p.s., I might have a mimaki for sale... 20k and I'll give ya software to run it, but give me 50% of your profits from here on out.

DRamm76

Here's the deal that we work with buying used equipment from customers. It may help. We offer a $5000-$6000 trade on an SP-540V depending on condition. Now some customers may say "I could get more if I sold it myself"..which can be true, but the difference is, if you buy it from someone who isn't a dealer, you buy it as is and you're done..the seller doesn't necessarily have to be responsible for any issues or repairs unless you work out some sort of agreement with that.

As a dealer, we take the machine, put new heads and all new main parts in it and put a 1 year warranty on it mainly because we ARE responsible so we would sell it for about $12-$13,000.00 after all our costs and labor add up. Therefore, I would say if a dealer is willing to get you one for $12,000-$13,000 with all new parts AND a warranty, I would say $15,000 for a non warranty machine with no support is very steep.

Just my opinion

thesignguy1986

Sounds to me he's trying to make money with no bills or headache. If his business is failing in the first place he must be doing something wrong. If your doing something wrong as a customer I wouldn't go back to whatever sign shop it was. So what you need to do is find out how many actual customers he has that are in good standing and like doing business with him.

As far as buying a used printed buy a refurbed to save money if must and get the warranty. I personally think if he wants to make 50% of profit he's nuts. Maybe 30% at most and if not pay him $10hr to work for you or find someone else. You'd be suprised at how many sign people there are that can run printers.

halfbaked

The first thing that came to mind was yup 50% com and he is off running selling more profitable stuff and keeping 100%. If I buy for 15k I have 50% of everything channel letters awnings banners vinal wraps. He has a CNC that he would liquidate (not in my price range) and a welder that would leave. I think I could get his channel letter break in the deal and the bender for the awnings. He does not have a big metal break or a notcher for the channel letters. So I could control the everything. I would have to buy more eq like a notcher and a brake (2k-5k????).

Does that change the situation very much?

DRamm76

You gotta also look at it like this..he is probably the type of customer who will insist HIS USED machine with NO warranty should be worth MORE..but if you threw a price on a new machine at him he didnt like, he would insist on paying LESS...I dont always understand the logic..Bottom line, I would not look so eager and I bet he drops the price. Happens all the time

Dzrt1st

Agree with those who said walk away.
Let his business go under then buy all the equipment at the auction for ten cents on the dollar.

Pat Whatley

Does that change the situation very much?
I would like to point out that this is EXACTLY what Dan meant when he said nobody ever listens.

You're just trying to sell yourself on this deal.

You're still talking about investing money in a failed business that you don't have the skill set to save.

But, if you're just looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear then YES! Buy it today! The sign business is easy, especially in a small town in a bad economy! You can learn design in a weekend, everything else you need to know you can pick up through Google. Buy a sheet metal brake and a notcher, they'll pay for themselves in a week. Yes, give your "partner" 50% off the top, it won't matter, the money is gonna come in by the bag full!

DRamm76

I would like to point out that this is EXACTLY what Dan meant when he said nobody ever listens.

You're just trying to sell yourself on this deal.

You're still talking about investing money in a failed business that you don't have the skill set to save.

But, if you're just looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear then YES! Buy it today! The sign business is easy, especially in a small town in a bad economy! You can learn design in a weekend, everything else you need to know you can pick up through Google. Buy a sheet metal brake and a notcher, they'll pay for themselves in a week. Yes, give your "partner" 50% off the top, it won't matter, the money is gonna come in by the bag full!

Exactly! Thank's Pat!

watchdaride

i know old machine a PITA . But i started out with a old machine but i would rather have the hassle than spend 20K to find out that you cant make it a profitable business and be stuck with all that equipment. If you have 2-3 yrs under your belt with increasing sales go for the new package .

lol watcharide did you read the entire thread and what this is about?

thanks Pat, it drives me crazy. I don't know what it is with people posting half questions then when they don't get the answer that they wanted they give you the rest of the information that they should have posted in the beginning.

NO it doesn't change a thing RUN FOREST RUN.

your 'friend' is off his rocker and trying to take advantage of you. he was not able to successfully operate his business and is trying to charge you BEYOND top dollar to bail him out...and then he wants to come work for you for a 50% commission ME TOO..that in itself is so out there and crazy, i have NEVER heard of anyone making a 50% commission...i guess it never hurts to ask but the minute that came out of his mouth i probably would have died of laughter.

if you want to jump into the sign business (why anyone would jump into a business that they know nothing about i have no idea but that is another topic and one that comes up quite a bit around here...)anyways. if you want to jump into the sign business you can do much better than the price he is asking. if you choose to hire your 'friend' offer him a wage that is in line with industry standards.

as noted above you are trying to talk yourself into this, it is obvious you have already sold yourself on this 'opportunity'...as the famous isign sad in another post "you pay your money adn you take your chances" well in this situation you can spend your money much wiser.

halfbaked

What do you think about this idea. I think he is going to Bank Rupt (med bills and a few suppliers) and his assets are not worth much. He owes $2500 on the printer I think. Offer him $2500 for all assetts and printer (basically payoff printer) and I keep at my house/ shop and see if I like the business and can grasp the business and sell. Give him the option to buy back for same price in 2 or 3 yrs when he is back on his feet. He has a job offer that he can take. Am I still half baked or should I get another:bushmill: or should forrest run.