• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best chemical for removing vinyl and glue?

decalman

Lots of votes for Rapid Remover, are coming in.
I will definitely order some.
I just bought some " Reflective Vinyl Off" This stuff I believe to be more aggressive than " Regular Vinyl Off" I used some today, and I did like the way it removed the snot. Far superior to mineral spirits, which is ok.--- Min Spirit doesn't harm anything, except cheap paint jobs. If your dealing with a cheap paint job, use some spray can oil. The oil is less likely to harm the cheap paint, and will remove the snot. I'm hopeful for a super product will come to my attention. I remove lots of film, and I'd like to cut down the time.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
One more to add.

I have been using purple power lately.
It will not help with removing old vinyl but it does remove the adhesive and is not as harsh as mineral spirits so I can use it in the shop without the fumes floating into the office.
It does work on removing the adhesive off of the top of vinyl, if there were several layers, without damaging the finish in the vinyl I am trying to save.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The best I have found over the past dozen plus years for graphics on modern FACTORY automotive paint is Xylol (xylene) and I have tried pretty much everything on some jobs over the years. Nasty stuff and I think it gives you cancer if you live in California and the odor is very strong but it works faster than anything I have tried yet on adhesives. Do NOT use it on older enamel paint, unknown paint, plastics, definitely not the finish on utility trailers (it melts that crappy paint real fast). Its perfectly fine on good modern factory automotive paint though. Nothing cuts the adhesive faster.

Next best option is as already mentioned, Rapid Remover....

Brink

One more to add.

I have been using purple power lately.
It will not help with removing old vinyl but it does remove the adhesive and is not as harsh as mineral spirits so I can use it in the shop without the fumes floating into the office.
It does work on removing the adhesive off of the top of vinyl, if there were several layers, without damaging the finish in the vinyl I am trying to save.

Purple Power is pretty rough on paint. Especially old paint. That goes double for old metallic paint.

fastmax

Another vote for Rapid Remover. Failing that, most any orange peel solvent will work better than turpentine, mineral sprints, and anything else..

i agree, but ill add that if there is only a few spots try using rubbing alcohol first before you bust out the big guns

Brian27

It really depends what you're removing it from. I don't know about removing the actual the vinyl but we use MEK by the gallons to remove contact cement and clean around our facility. It's strong enough to dissolve the contact cement, or any adhesive, but not strong enough to damage most surfaces.

If you're cleaning something that isn't sensitive to chemicals like glass, then there is no reason not to use Acetone or MEK. Most sensitive surfaces like soft/clear plastics, you probably wouldn't to go higher than Mineral Spirits or Xylene.

Of the things we use, in order from least to most effective/potency: Paint Thinner, Mineral Spirits, Xylene, MEK & Acetone. I can't really say if they're more effective than the other recommendations listed but I'm willing to bet they're less expensive. We get MEK in 5 gallon pails for about $80 but we also buy 10 at a time.

sign girl

EASY OFF Oven Cleaner

Some 20 odd years ago we used to use Easy Off Oven Cleaner...not recommending this at all.

ol'phart

Xylol Wins

Xylol is the solvent of choice for adhesive on MOST painted surfaces. Test it first. Cheap paint on factory utility trailers and RV's wont hold up to it but it works great for most applications. Wear gloves. It absorbs through the skin and goes straight to the liver. I'm saving my liver so I can destroy it with alcohol.:thumb:

Techman

MEK is some bad juice.. I wouldn't use it without respirator or protective gloves.

It is absorbed directly into the lungs It causes all kinds of medical problems. less then 100 ppm can cause problems.
Exposure to MEK can affect the nervous system causing headaches, dizziness, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. It will explode. It is highly flammable.
just for comparison ...100ppm of carbon monoxide will set off alarms

MEK= Methyl ,, lipid soluable,, goes right into body fat..

Ethyl..= alcohols.

Keytone = made by oxidizing secondary alcohols. The simplest such compound is acetone. Ketones are toxic to brain and central nervous system function and does accumulate after small doses over time.

Vinyldog

When I have a removal job to do I just get a large bottle of alcohol.
Usually Tequila, and drink it.
Then I have someone else do the job using Rapid Remover.

Vinyldog

Last fleet re-branding job we did I started out using Rapid Remover on cut-vinyl lettering on truck doors. Vinyl-off was recommended by a suppler so I tried it on one line. After soaking per the instructions the vinyl did not seem easier to remove so I went back to finger-nails and RR.
But when I went back to the line I had soaked in VO it was stuck on like granite. Ended up having to remove that line with a wheel. Sorry to dis a product in public but that’s just what happened in my experience.

Brian27

MEK is some bad juice.. I wouldn't use it without respirator or protective gloves.

It is absorbed directly into the lungs It causes all kinds of medical problems. less then 100 ppm can cause problems.
Exposure to MEK can affect the nervous system causing headaches, dizziness, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. It will explode. It is highly flammable.
just for comparison ...100ppm of carbon monoxide will set off alarms

MEK= Methyl ,, lipid soluable,, goes right into body fat..

Ethyl..= alcohols.

Keytone = made by oxidizing secondary alcohols. The simplest such compound is acetone. Ketones are toxic to brain and central nervous system function and does accumulate after small doses over time.

Alcohol, paint thinner, mineral spirits, laquer thinner and acetone are all carcinogenic as well as most of the cleaners listed in this post, but only in California. lol

For whatever reason the internet and diy world has it out for MEK when if you compare the MSDS to virtually any other chemical it's essentially the same.

Mineral Spirits:

Potential Chronic Health Effects:
CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance is toxic to lungs, the nervous system. Repeated or prolonged
exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

Alcohol:

Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (sensitizer). CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: A4 (Not classifiable for human or animal.)
by ACGIH, 3 (Not classifiable for human.) by IARC. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not
available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Classified Reproductive system/toxin/female, Development toxin [POSSIBLE].
The substance may be toxic to kidneys, liver, skin, central nervous system (CNS). Repeated or prolonged exposure to the
substance can produce target organs damage.

Rapid Remover:

Irritant to skin and mucous membranes
Strong eye irritant with danger of severe eye injury
Danger through skin absorption
May cause damage to organs through prolonged exposure

MEK:

CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast. TERATOGENIC
EFFECTS: Classified POSSIBLE for human. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance may be toxic to
gastrointestinal tract, upper respiratory tract, skin, eyes, central nervous system (CNS). Repeated or prolonged exposure to
the substance can produce target organs damage.

Pick your poison.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
As stated above, Rapid Remover is only for the glue, and it's the best there is in my opinion. Vinyl off is supposed to be good for removing the vinyl and glue in one fell swoop, but I've never had that kind of luck with it, I usually cut the vinyl off with a razor blade, or plastic razor blade/chizzler depending on the surface, then go back with rapid remover. For the record, I do use a metal razor blade to remove a lot of vinyl, but you really have to know what you're doing and use the correct edge or dull one edge or it will dig and destroy.

I have also used a product from Grimco called Remove-it-all, and it works just like it sounds. I use it to remove calendered vinyl on advertising signs sometimes, with a razor, or sometimes a pressure washer. I'm not even sure if they still offer it, but be aware it's not 100% paint safe.

Long story short, some products work better than others, but they all take time and patience.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
... I do use a metal razor blade to remove a lot of vinyl, but you really have to know what you're doing and use the correct edge or dull one edge or it will dig and destroy....

When you say 'razor' I assume that you're using a garden variety paint scraper with a single edge blade. If so, there's a trick you can use on the blade. File both sides so that there's a radius and not a square corner. It's the corner that wants to dig into the substrate. That's because the scraper is being pushed when it's not exactly parallel to the substrate. If you remove the corners then you remove this hazard. You still have to be careful, just not so much.

decalman

As stated above, Rapid Remover is only for the glue, and it's the best there is in my opinion. Vinyl off is supposed to be good for removing the vinyl and glue in one fell swoop, but I've never had that kind of luck with it, I usually cut the vinyl off with a razor blade, or plastic razor blade/chizzler depending on the surface, then go back with rapid remover. For the record, I do use a metal razor blade to remove a lot of vinyl, but you really have to know what you're doing and use the correct edge or dull one edge or it will dig and destroy.

I have also used a product from Grimco called Remove-it-all, and it works just like it sounds. I use it to remove calendered vinyl on advertising signs sometimes, with a razor, or sometimes a pressure washer. I'm not even sure if they still offer it, but be aware it's not 100% paint safe.

Long story short, some products work better than others, but they all take time and patience.

I agree with using the Vinyl off first, to destroy the film, and maybe a heat gun, then Rapid R for the snot. I also am confident with a blade. Orileys Auto parts, sell the best tool. Its a razor blade on a pole. Price....about 12 bucks. I got about 4 of them. Its the best scraper tool out there. I can take the old stripe off a new corvette, no scracthes