• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the goofiest thing a customer has said to/requested of you?

CanuckSigns

There are too many to list. If I kept a log I could probably publish a book full of them.

We did get a request already this morning from a customer that orders (1) part number, once a year from us. This is a multi-billion dollar company but for some reason they only order this one part. They take 60 days to pay (as per their PO terms) and demand that we include all these certificates of compliance etc etc etc. Takes longer to do the paperwork than it does to produce the order.

Anyways, the new purchaser requests current pricing and requests that "this time, please provide pricing that is more competitive than last time".

We bumped up the price and had a PO shortly after.

:banghead:

You got one of those too eh? We have one customer who only orders about 20 little engraved plates for us a year, every year they send us all this NAFTA paperwork we have to fill out, takes about 30 minutes of our time. When i questoned them about it, they told me they had to have every one of their suppliers fill one out, i wonder if they make staples fill them out every time they order pens and paper?

vid

We had a guy have us letter the doors on his white van with white lettering. This was to comply with the requirements of many gated communities, where he had customers, that commercial vehicles be identified. He preferred not to have anything.

you win :clapping:

+1

Buuuuut, I did have a guy want his white van lettered with black reflective. I asked him what color he thought black reflective reflected?

"Black" he replied.

Admittedly, this is still a nomenclature concept I cannot comprehend. But, I tried to engage him in a color theory discussion to explain that the color black doesn't reflect. And, black reflective vinyl reflects white.

He didn't believe me until he took a flash picture of his newly lettered van. Fortunately, he thought it was funny the the picture just showed a bright white van.

peavey123

From today. Customer -"My signs look awesome! By the way, How do I get my Facebook page to work?" Me -:banghead:

I always get customers, or neighboring shops coming to me with their tech problems. I need to make a sign saying something to the effect of "Tech help $10 for 10 minutes" Maybe signs aren't my destiny? lol

DesireeM

+1

Buuuuut, I did have a guy want his white van lettered with black reflective. I asked him what color he thought black reflective reflected?

"Black" he replied.

Admittedly, this is still a nomenclature concept I cannot comprehend. But, I tried to engage him in a color theory discussion to explain that the color black doesn't reflect. And, black reflective vinyl reflects white.

He didn't believe me until he took a flash picture of his newly lettered van. Fortunately, he thought it was funny the the picture just showed a bright white van.

Then why does black reflective even exist? You wouldn't want to put it on a black vehicle either....but at least with a white vehicle you can see the letters clearly during the day. At night without direct light it'll still contrast. And if light shines on it it would not turn white and match the background; It would "glow" and stand out wouldn't it?

DesireeM

I once made a couple of boat decals for a lady who asked for a few font options. Once she chose a font she told me that she wanted it slanted forward for the right-side of the boat and slanted backward for the left-side of the boat (so that they both slanted towards the back of the boat once applied....you know...cuza da wind...naturally.

When she picked them up she asked me why the letters on either decal looked different. When I tried to explain that they look different because they were skewed in different directions like she asked she said I was bullsh**ing her and using "techie" language to confuse her instead of admitting my mistake. When I said "Well how exactly then do you suggest I am supposed to make the letters look the same when they are slanted in different directions?" she said" I don't know...you're the expert." Here's a photo of the decals -

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 108

vid

Then why does black reflective even exist? You wouldn't want to put it on a black vehicle either....but at least with a white vehicle you can see the letters clearly during the day. At night without direct light it'll still contrast. And if light shines on it it would not turn white and match the background; It would "glow" and stand out wouldn't it?

Yeah, that was the thing, and why the customer was good natured about it. The customer was an Alarm Company --- install, service, monitor. The lettering added a nice shimmer during the day, and at night it would catch the attention in in cross traffic headlights and still be reasonably legible outside of that direct light. He sent me the flash picture to show me that he finally understood what I was talking about after our discussion.

I've seen black patrol cars with black reflective. It's a little stealthy, but still lights up to identify the vehicle in direct light. annnnnd, I've been meaning to do a couple stripes of it on my wife's bike. She'll ride in dusky hours but doesn't want something "garish" like red or white on her gray bike.

Supergirl

i have black reflective rim tape on my street bike. i don't want it to be visible, but don't mind being spotted by a vehicle at night when it becomes reflective.

no flash
DSC03107.jpg

with flash
DSC03106.jpg

DesireeM

Yeah, that was the thing, and why the customer was good natured about it. The customer was an Alarm Company --- install, service, monitor. The lettering added a nice shimmer during the day, and at night it would catch the attention in in cross traffic headlights and still be reasonably legible outside of that direct light. He sent me the flash picture to show me that he finally understood what I was talking about after our discussion.

It's always a good day when a customer 'gets it'. Or at least accepts that even if it doesn't make sense to them, it doesn't mean it's not right.

klingsdesigns

I had to make a set of corn hole boards. They are both naked ladies and you can guess what the hole is on the boards.. Was interesting.

Marie

With "Speedy" in our name, I have always gotten calls asking about oil changes because people think they are calling Speedee Oil Change. However, last month, I had a person come into our shop and ask for an oil change - nice lobby with carpet, 2 mimaki prints running, postcard and business card displays, etc - and he thought we were an oil change place. Not sure if he should have been driving!!!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
And then there are the dozens of customers who wanted a two sided sign with an arrow pointing to one side. They never understand why one side is laid out pointing left and the second side pointing right until they get the sign.

gabagoo

How about the customer who looks at your screen and says...That's not a 10" letter!!! goofs goofs goofs

Z SIGNS

I'd like a price on a sign.

I don't know what kind of sign or how big or what it should look like.

I just want a price.