• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the lowest tack printable vinyl?

krimol

I just did some stripes on a boat using Oracal 3551 which is supposed to have "clean removability up to 4 years". Less than 24 hours later, I decided to redo one of the stripes and it took me a half hour to get the left over adhesive off ( I didn't even set it with heat or go over it with pressure when applied). Had to use goo gone, a heat gun, a plastic scraper, prepsol and lots of elbow grease before it came off. Now I have to letter up 2 classic cars that the vinyl will only be on for the summer season. I am very leary after what happened with the boat and I do not want to be responsible for these cars. Does anyone know what the lowest tack printable vinyl is? These cars have less than 10K miles on them... they won't be driven on the highway or in the rain, etc., so I'm not worried about durability, only that it will come off clean in 6 or 8 months. My material reps are only going by what the manufacturers description says. Which I've proved cannot be trusted. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

MikePro

Oracal 3551 claims "clean removability", but its a PITA... which is why I LOVE IT! I trust that this stuff will never fail me.

3M IJ180Cv3 removes easier with heat and lasts just as long, if not longer than the 3551.

that being said... boats are a PITA on their own in terms of stickability. go with the best (3M>Oracal>everything else). harder to remove beats falling off and redo.

Last edited:

petesign

I second the IJ180CV3.

If you are on a budget, 3M makes a calendared removable film for bus graphics (it's not going to be conformable) IJ40R

SimonJP

Oracal 3621

I use Oracal 3621 - it is used mostly for stickers, bumper stickers and wall stickers. It applies and stays for the most part... but meant for peeling off afterward... Not sure how long it will stay on and all, but doesn't leave any adhesive behind when peeled off.

mac_man_luke

We use a lot of 3m IJ20 removable, iv removed it after more than a year and it hardly leaves a mark (mostly a minor adhesive line around the edge)

MontereySigns

Clean Removing Vinyl

In my opinion you don't need a low-tack adhesive vinyl, you need a vinyl with clean removability. These are typically vehicle wrapping films. The Oracal products have a reputation for "aggressive" adhesives so these are not the best choice.

Instead, use the 3M IJ180C, or Avery 1005EZ. Or better yet, the LG383TG for half the price. Any of these three should remove cleanly at the end of summer but not come off before then.

-Bud

petepaz

In my opinion you don't need a low-tack adhesive vinyl, you need a vinyl with clean removability. These are typically vehicle wrapping films. The Oracal products have a reputation for "aggressive" adhesives so these are not the best choice.

Instead, use the 3M IJ180C, or Avery 1005EZ. Or better yet, the LG383TG for half the price. Any of these three should remove cleanly at the end of summer but not come off before then.

-Bud

+1