• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Is The Monthly Software Rental Fee Total If You Rent Like A Drunken Sailor?

WildWestDesigns

I orkensnorked my finbalen with the JUK432v2 adjunct hossenfeffer, then hooked that up to my BS100 snickledorfer. I was able to program a simple OS using Double Cobra, and using my brother inlaw's federal security code hack the jankyhogen to work with a simple UMIX protocol. Anybody with 10 years programming experience and a background in electrical engineering should be able to do that. Sheesh, what's the matter with you all? It only took me 40 hours, but I SAVED $15.25 (amortized over 5 years, not including my time, which was worth it to me to give it to the man).

Meanwhile, my competition payed the $200 subscription cost, and spent 40 hours making $5,000.

What I find ironic about this is that it isn't like that in this day in age. Maybe back in the 90s, early 2000s, yes, but not now.

Sorry, but it's way too simple now. Now, it still isn't for everyone, because it takes someone that can use the software as it's available now (no I don't go hacking on the software, while I can if I want, I don't wanna) and a desire to switch platforms. And most importantly, it has to get shit done that you need to get done. If it can't, don't do it. Regardless of which platform you switch to, if you don't have a desire to fully switch, it ain't going happen. For instance, back during the Vista days, dad toyed with going to Mac. 3 weeks later, he was getting ready to throw it out in the trash. However, bare in mind, even though it may not work in your instance, doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else and vice versa.

Now, you are right, if it was that convoluted, it makes zero sense to switch. Be it to a different software (which is what people are talking about here) or to a different OS platform. But sorry, it's way too easy and stable (based on my experience, my rigs have been far more stable then those that I know running Windows now and they are down while I'm still getting work done).

Last edited:

player

I ran a sign business for years. I was an early adopter of technology and paid handsomely for that honor. I had loans and leases and payroll and etc. etc. etc. After 15 years of heavy lifting and employee blundering I decided to downsize and go on my own. I will do everything I can to never have monthly commitments I don't need to have. So the software subscription "Death by 1000 Cuts" model is not something I am going to buy into.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What I find ironic about this is that it isn't like that in this day in age. Maybe back in the 90s, early 2000s, yes, but not now.

Sorry, but it's way too simple now. Now, it still isn't for everyone, because it takes someone that can use the software as it's available now (no I don't go hacking on the software, while I can if I want, I don't wanna) and a desire to switch platforms. And most importantly, it has to get **** done that you need to get done. If it can't, don't do it. Regardless of which platform you switch to, if you don't have a desire to fully switch, it ain't going happen. For instance, back during the Vista days, dad toyed with going to Mac. 3 weeks later, he was getting ready to throw it out in the trash. However, bare in mind, even though it may not work in your instance, doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else and vice versa.

Now, you are right, if it was that convoluted, it makes zero sense to switch. Be it to a different software (which is what people are talking about here) or to a different OS platform. But sorry, it's way too easy and stable (based on my experience, my rigs have been far more stable then those that I know running Windows now and they are down while I'm still getting work done).

What the heck is your avatar now?? I mean, the last one was weird but this is strange... Is it a drafting table against a 8-bit fireplace background? Looks like a scene from an old DOS game King's Quest

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

I ran a sign business for years. I was an early adopter of technology and paid handsomely for that honor. I had loans and leases and payroll and etc. etc. etc. After 15 years of heavy lifting and employee blundering I decided to downsize and go on my own. I will do everything I can to never have monthly commitments I don't need to have. So the software subscription "Death by 1000 Cuts" model is not something I am going to buy into.

What a lot of people seem to confuse is, that spending the extra money is always a good thing especially for efficiency.

That may not necessarily be the case. Sure, the workflow between the software you know and the new software your going to is going to have a differently workflow, may be slight, may be significant. That can impact efficiency.

Unless the switch is to a software and/or platform would be to one that cannot handle what you need to do (and this will vary from person to person, what one person's experience may not be the same as the next), it should be something that people evaluate every so often. A decision made 10, 15, 20 yrs ago may not be viable now. What was bad (or good) back then, may not be the best option now. It may still be, but in my mind, it's best to always re-evaluate to make sure that it's the best decision for "you".

If the "status quo" is the best option, then by all means, stick with it. May not like the way that they are going, but if it's still the best, one should stick with it. But to stick with it just because it's what "you've" always known and it's "better the devil you know...." type of reasoning, then that's something else. A business needs to be as nimble as they can in changing with the times (some business that's harder then others, this shouldn't be one of them) if the need arises. But again, if there is no desire to actually change or care about change, then it's by far best not to do it.

player

What a lot of people seem to confuse is, that spending the extra money is always a good thing especially for efficiency.

That may not necessarily be the case. Sure, the workflow between the software you know and the new software your going to is going to have a differently workflow, may be slight, may be significant. That can impact efficiency.

Unless the switch is to a software and/or platform would be to one that cannot handle what you need to do (and this will vary from person to person, what one person's experience may not be the same as the next), it should be something that people evaluate every so often. A decision made 10, 15, 20 yrs ago may not be viable now. What was bad (or good) back then, may not be the best option now. It may still be, but in my mind, it's best to always re-evaluate to make sure that it's the best decision for "you".

If the "status quo" is the best option, then by all means, stick with it. May not like the way that they are going, but if it's still the best, one should stick with it. But to stick with it just because it's what "you've" always known and it's "better the devil you know...." type of reasoning, then that's something else. A business needs to be as nimble as they can in changing with the times (some business that's harder then others, this shouldn't be one of them) if the need arises. But again, if there is no desire to actually change or care about change, then it's by far best not to do it.
Harnessing myself to a bunch of monthly payments that force me to meet financial deadlines and add stress for no reason other than to make software vendors rich is something I will avoid at all costs. Of course if I had a client or clients that made it neccessary and profitable I would. I would also try to find a work around to stop the monthly payment train. The gerbil wheel gets larger and heavier to keep spinning with every monthly commitment.

shoresigns

Corebridge $188
Adobe CC = $59.35/mo
Monotype Library = $10/mo
Google G Suite = $5/user (email and cloud storage)
Versaworks = no subscription, updates have always been free
Google Remote Desktop = free (instead of TeamViewer)
Google Docs = free (instead of MS Office)

I think that's it.