• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the most reliable Printer,Plotter that I would want?

scootinbob

I am curently using a GS-15 15inch plotter with the swivel knife and tangental blade. The only problem is I have to make too many cuts to make one sign so I want a bigger machine like a 30inch. Im looking for an reliable and trusting machine that wont break down on me like the gerber has form time to time. Im also thinking of getting into wrappping vehicles in the near future but for now I just label them. Could you please suggest some options for my buisness. Thanks

Poconopete

Welcome from...PA
A name brand-Roland-Summa-Graphtec should prove to be reliable.
Any machine will eventually require a repair here n there.

sarge

-welcome from puyallup-
-my vote is summa-
-and if ya treat it right it will treat you right-

johnnysigns

I'm running a 30" graphtec and I love it. I'm not using flexi or software that needs a dongle. It runs off of a Scanvec plug in for Illustrator CS3 that's free from Graphtec's website.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Welcome from Texas.

We are pleased as can be with our almost 15 year old Summa T-1010.
It has been rebuilt twice. We also use a GS 15 with our Edge printer.

DRamm76

I'd have to say as long as you have a box arrive on your doorstep with the name Roland or Graphtec on it you'll be in good shape. Now sure I sell them both, but those of us on the "dealer" end of things have learned this to be true first hand. I owned a Roland for 4 years before selling equipment myself.

There's a LOT of plotters out there and yes yes I know some people do have models that don't cost as much as Roland or Graphtec, but statistics usually don't lie and the breakdown, issue, maintenance, and poor tech support levels are MUCH MUCH MUCH can't stress it enough MUCH higher on "mid card" machines.

Step up to the Main Event models and you're in great shape and still get a "fair" price. Remember, you can save a buck now and pay more than double down the road when your machine breaks down in the long run.

scootinbob

Thanks everyone for the input that helped me out. Is there a roland or graphtec model in a 30in that has crisp quality when printing?

Bizzarth

I have sold both Roland and Graphtec in the past. I'd push Graphtec first every time. The print and cut option of a Roland printer and now with Mimaki is nice, as long as your workload dictates this need. Otherwise a printer and a cutter seems to be the norm. There are a lot of great deals on equipment out there, do your homework and you will be the winner in the end. :peace!:

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I've owned my 30" Roland SP-300 for 4 1/2 years now and it's still working well. I've had a few glitches over the years but you always will with any machine.This machine gets a little less use than the normal commercial shop because I work out of my house mainly part time. Some people say that these machines (the printing part) should be used daily to keep them in working order but my machine will sit idle for weeks without printing and it still works fine. The only problem I'm having now is that I think the head for the black ink is wearing out and it not making crisp edges on small prints but it's not noticeable on normal size stuff like truck lettering.
Also you may want to look into laminating.Most shops say that these prints have to be laminated to last. Laminators are VERY expensive. I don't have the funds or space to own one so I only use liquid laminate applied with a foam roller. The jury is still out on longevity because the only ones I've done that are out in the weather are only 2-3 years old but so far so good! So far this has been a good machine for me and the tech support from Roland has always been good.
Stick with a brand name; for the quality and tech support are the most important things.
Welcome to the site and good luck.