• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what is this business coming to

Bigdawg

Just Me
Paupau... that is exactly what I meant by "there is so much more to making signs than slapping down vinyl"

I... as well as most other professionals... are fully aware that the cricut owner get paid for putting up eye pollution. THAT is what offends me. That hobbyists and wanna-bes have dragged this business down to a point where butt-ugly is okay as long as it's cheap enough. And that somewhere along the way... that becomes the new standard. It sucks more than I can tell you when you are a person who actually cares about the craft. Not just someone with a cheap cutter who's gonna make it rich selling crap.

And it's cheap because you don't follow the rules. You don't get the licenses needed to sell or install signs. You sell your crap on ebay, to neighbors, to friends and to churches... more than likely without ever stopping to consider what taxes you need to collect, let alone actually having a tax ID number for payment.

And we are also well aware that our vendors are marketing to you. Very well aware. And when they start selling products to you for the same prices the real professionals are paying - we will find new vendors there too.

The cricut isn't the blight on sign-making. It's the crap being produced on it - and then sold like it's a good product.

Paupau

Stacy, I feel your passion and love of the craft. I think we actually agree on more than one level. I think it's the generalization, the classification that just because you produce off a certain machine, that the your work is bringing down an entire industry. (the clothing industry survived "Hammer Pants" and Paint by Number didn't harm Da Vinci.) It may not be progress, but it is progression of industry.

It is also the general assumption that every "little guy" isn't following the rules, taking short cuts and avoiding taxes, that burns me. Its the "YOU" assumption and grouping basd on the action of a few. You can't say that ever business out there is on the up and up, insurance hasn't lapsed or license hasn't expired. Substance and merit vs perceived professionalism, Madoff did it well, and again time will tell.

iSign

It is also the general assumption that every "little guy" isn't following the rules, taking short cuts and avoiding taxes, that burns me. Its the "YOU" assumption and grouping based on the action of a few.

what are you here for?

...to flaunt your unpopular credentials? You talk a good game, but why don't you go find the new member introduction forum, post something about all the good reasons, ambitions, skills or designs that represent you or your hopes to interact with this community, and keep the damn toy you work with out of the conversation...

By the way, let me tell you something about your perceptions regarding "the general assumption that every "little guy" isn't following the rules" General assumptions are NEVER about "every" anything... they are generalizations for a reason.. it's the law of averages... GENERALLY... the little guy ISN'T legal, ISN'T skilled, and ISN'T charging enough...

...it doesn't take EVERY one of you little guys to have a negative impact on the perceived value of one small subset of this immensely diverse industry... but, generally speaking "little guys" cut corners, sell cheap & sell crap...

...if you don't... then drop it already & walk back in talking about your merits, instead of running defense for all the other guys shortcomings...

CheapVehicleWrap

As far as I can see, the existence of the Crikut is no more a threat than the Dollar Store selling cheap hammers - it's not going to put Contractors out of business any time soon. Our customers don't come to us because of what tools we have, but what we can produce from them...

umm, here in the states Contractors have been out of business for quite some time.

Paupau

iSign you just crack me up, I think I'm falling in love.

Why I'm I here:
Welcome to Signs 101! We are a community of professional sign makers and others interested in our craft. If you are, once were, or want to be a professional sign maker, we invite you to join us. If you are a supplier to our craft, a teacher or student interested in the craft, or a member of a related craft, trade or profession, we also invite you to join us. Registering will allow you to post, view images and search our archives.
check-check-check

My credintials...what credintials

This thread begins :General Signmaking Topics, General sign making discussion
I thought I was joining a discussion where I could express my views while being respectful of the views of others.

"keep the damn toy you work with out of the conversation...":ROFLMAO:
That as "HOOT", I thought that was what began this thread.

I will follow your advice, I am going to post in the intro forum and I am expectig you to come welcome me lovingly. My arms are open can I get a HUG?

Seriously, I'm sorry if I've touched on some nerves, but whether this was my 1st or 1000th post my opinion is the same.

Letterbox Mike

:ROFLMAO: I think Adtechia can breathe a sigh of relief, it looks like the attention will be shifted away from him for a while...

SignManiac

I can't help but wonder if all this recent dislike for everyone and everything is a direct indication of of the level of intensity of the make up sex afterwards?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
:)

Attachments

• ftl.jpg
    ftl.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 84

mrchips

I'm just going to post a personal experience that may be relavent.....

I've been making a good living since '79 selling hand carved work. When i left teaching (woodshop & graphic arts) computer technology was exploding all around me. It was going to make life so much simplier and we all wouldn't have to work hard anymore:ROFLMAO: The emerging businesses where going to be in the recreation and leasure time industries. :ROFLMAO:

Sold our little house in the little city and bought a bigger one in the country (with a second mortage).....all of this during the last BIG recession....'79-83? Gas lines....mortage rates up 18% etc.

I hooked up with a sign shop in town and I carved signs for him and he helped me with layouts etc. I wasn't a threat cause I marketed on the road through shows. The owners son came home with a degree and a 4b. We were all amazed. I kept carving.

Then came the routers and HDU....I don't think either one would have made it without the other. Perfect timing. (They actually were designed for and came from industry). Sign carvers were in tears and going out of business......man, did they HATE those machines. I LOVED em!!! Really, I did.

I thought that the more carved signs that were out there, the more people would want them and I'd take my little piece of the pie and it worked!!!! People saw how mine were a little different and I could add relief images that looked like what they were supposed to.

Then Sears came out with the home handyman CNC (Carvewright?) CHEAP!!!! Ut Oh!!! ;) even sign shops bought them......more than one in many cases.

I keep trying to keep up with the work.

Why has it worked? Probably because no matter how hard I tried over the years to make/sell something low end.....it never worked. People just wanted my best.......and were willing to pay me well for it. I've always sold to the higher end, to people with more money than me. That's how it worked.......it wasn't anything I did, except to always give it my best which probably stood me at least a head if not a head and shoulder above the compitition.

I don't know if anything I just wrote will be meaningfull to anyone or contribute to the thread except to say, what many have already said here,.....we all have access to the same tools. It's what is done with them and how we market our products that make the difference.

Thanks,

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Last edited:

Bigdawg

Just Me
not a guy....

and I think she's acting ok now :wink:

me too... actually think her skins thick enough she'll be okay.

and Doug... you gotta be a lil relieved that it's not a dude's that may be in love with you...

although if it was and he saw ya' in that white bikini... well... 'nuff said.

iSign

me too... actually think her skins thick enough she'll be okay.

and Doug... you gotta be a lil relieved that it's not a dude's that may be in love with you...

although if it was and he saw ya' in that white bikini... well... 'nuff said.

Hey what are you trying to do, get more people to subscribe to the premium section to see Heath's rendition of me and the sign chicks in that Charlies Angels movie poster style?

I was trying to sneak past that moment without comment, but I was pretty hot :omg:

shakey0818

hey what are you trying to do, get more people to subscribe to the premium section to see heath's rendition of me and the sign chicks in that charlies angels movie poster style?

I was trying to sneak past that moment without comment, but i was pretty hot :omg:
:roflmao: