• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is your company workflow is like ?

Holysteel

Hello there,

I feel that my shop is some kind of inefficient when it comes down to the way a job is being handled. Right from the start a customer walks in.

Right now i have 3 man production team. 1 machine operator who man the printer continuously when in print mode. 1 Receptionist who also handles customer services, Inquiry, Job order, co-ordinating with clients, cashiering. Also forwarding jobs to the Graphic designer. 1 Graphic designer. 1 Sales & Marketing staff.

Total of staffs = 7 paxs under 1 roof.

The way my shop workflow set up is like this =

Customers walks in - contact with receptionist - job forward to designer - Job forwarded back to receptionist for customer proof check & confirmation. Job sent to production team for printing & packing.

So what went wrong here?

Do i have to add additional staffs to make the workflow more effective? Or do i have to sack 1 or 2 staffs here. And get better staffs who can handle multiple roles in 1 person.

What i am trying to achieve here is to build a more leaner team. And trying to cut off unproductive staff who insist on doing 1 role job.

I am leaning on laying off the graphic designer. He doest want to do anything except designing.. Doest want to pick up the phone etc. And my..he is slow. An average of 3 simple banner design whole day long..

Im a small biz shop. Not big company who can afford massive employees who is hire to do just 1 role. I need multi capability staffs who can take up the responsibility when required.

What is your small shop process like? How many staffs do you have? How many miniman staffs is required for a effective running shop. What role or position do they play.

Thank you very much. Please kindly advise.

Best regards
Steel

Carl Crabtree

Cross train everyone. I try very hard to teach everyone in the shop to be able to fill in adaquatly for anyone else. No specializing. Learn everything. And get rid of the so-called graphic artist. Quick banner designs should take 10 to 15 minutes.

ironchef

Agreed, that "designer" has to go. Everyone should answer phones if need be, and cross train for sure on basic tasks, weeding, transfer tape application, trimming, basic installs, etc. i wouldnt start them off on the laminator just yet. Im the only one that works the lam.

James Chrimes

I don't agree... If you have a good designer, that might be what seperates you from the compition. I do agree that people need to cover multible rolls in the shop. That way if one person leaves or gets sick you can still continue business. But a good designer could be the most important roll player in your shop.

Billct2

Three banner designs a day isn't the Output of a good designer, unless they are $1000 banners.

James Chrimes

My bad.. he doesn't sound like the guy for you. Invest in finding the right designer for your company. One person with the wrong attitude can bring down the whole shop. But you need to build a team environment. If people think their sole purpose is to do only one aspect of the companys business then you create groups that dont work together. The key is to build a team that will help the company grow and make money.

SignManiac

All of my employees are cross trained and will even clean bathrooms. I'm the only designer but could knock out twenty or more banners a day, while answering phones and emails at the same time. I don't have any open positions for primadonnas.

MikePro

both of our graphic designers are also cross-trained to run the printer, cutter, router, and even apply/assemble product. they've even been known to go out into the field and dig holes and install signage when needed.
I'm even getting my CDL driver's license come the New Year.
Our service trucks make too much $$$ to ever chance being down for an extended period of time.

binki

Our floorplan is a clockwise movement. Jobs come in the front (west) and the move along the north wall to staging. Once the job is 'up' it is pulled and work begins in the area it needs to be for production, either south side or center. Once it is done it returns to the north side in a delivery area and then goes out the front.

Where things clog up is customers that don't come in to pick up their stuff and too many jobs coming in the front door. Then we start to pile them in the center under and on top of production tables as a pre-staging event.

Our next move may be to go up and remove our false ceiling and build in 2nd floor storage.

Cale Frederick

Our shop has an individual for each position, however everyone in our office personnel can handle most storefront sales, enter orders into our tracking software, contact customers, clean whatever needs to be cleaned and the general workflow. I am considered the manager of our large format print department, however I am also one of four graphic designers, primary operator of our two printers and other equipment, handle some sales and marketing, and do 95% of our installations. Two of the other designers primarily designs all day but can still operate our printers and one does a good job laminating and can handle most any flat install. Our fourth designer is still learning the ropes on the printers, but he is really good with handling our website and also keeping our phone system working. Most everyone in our offset production does one specific job but they are still trained to do multiple. It really helps us to be able to focus on one thing, but we are more than capable of handling things even if multiple people are out. Considering we have on avaerage about 25 people working that happens occasionally.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Who owns the business ??
Do you make all the decisions or is everything up to the individual at each of their stations ??
I'm all for delegating, but your set up sounds atrocious.

You tell them what they must get done in a day's time and what the quality needs to be..... or get rid of them.

Sounds like your employees run the show and you don't have a clue.

Workflow is not your problem..... running a business is. :peace!:

petesign

The designer is worth keeping if you charge for their services. If you are giving it away, he is costing you money designing three banners in a day. Vehicle wraps, bigger stuff is another story. Get something like signvox, it will tell you where your bottleneck is when you look on the job board and see where things are languishing behind.

ScottyAdams

We have a three man team. Owner who handles customer service, sales, marketing, cashiering, book keeping, etc. I am the Sr designer/production artist. I design, run the printer, the lam, and 75% of installs. I also answer the phones, survey job sites, accept payments, sit down with customers and answer phones if needed. Our third is mainly production and install help. They work on weeding, app taping, easy installs, shop cleanup, answer phones, and are in process of cross training on majority of the stuff I do. They also have a background in design and can help in that area as well. We would like to hire a full time experienced installer....but they are hard to find.

Holysteel

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. It turns out that my graphic designer has been doing freelance jobs behind my back during working hours. Hence the slow output.

401Graphics

attachment.php

Attachments

• donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg
    donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 120

RyanFelty

I like what you said Gino...some people just don't have that personality though to be confrontational. I say this because this is how my dad is...me on the other hand I get fired up sometimes when people are showing up late and doing bad work. I get fired up because I am the guy who cleans up the mess because I like what I do and am very picky about things. I just thought I would comment because I know my Dad is the classic case of letting the employees run the show but it is just because he hates confrontation. One day that will change!

Quickcope

all my employees (5) are can do it all.. answer phones, take care of walk in's and design, cut, weed and apply.... I have only one employee who only does weeding and filing.. and she is always busy... now the 5 employees including myself do have our specialty skills.. so if someone comes in that needs specialty skills... they are directed to that one employee..
been doing it like this for about 15 years... works good..

Blackie

what is the perfect sign making/order tracking software combination

Is it gerber and signvox?
Flexi and signtracker?
Flexi and signvox?
Corel and ???
What would be the best of both worlds starting fresh
from existing shop?
Your fellow insight is greatly appreciated.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Is it gerber and signvox?
Flexi and signtracker?
Flexi and signvox?
Corel and ???
What would be the best of both worlds starting fresh
from existing shop?
Your fellow insight is greatly appreciated.

This debate has been very heated and divisive. You alone are the best judge of what will work for your company based on your business model and client base. Most sales reps will demo their software in your office, or a temorary download may be available online for review.

If you're at a loss of where to start, I would suggest attending a trade show where a variety of solutions can be seen and effectively evaluated side by side. Depending on your needs, you may find that two or more design software packages may be necessary.

JB