• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of BLACK color built?

mustafade

Hello everyone,

How do you guys run your solid BLACK color?
In printing (sheet fed) if you want your black to be dense we run it 33% C, M, Y, & 100% K.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Demir

WrapperX

That usually prints a nice rich black. I wouldn't push much more for the CMY. It starts to get muddy and your saturation begins to get maxed out so you end up with pooling.

10sacer

Depends on your inks and which way they lean in hue/saturation.

My UV inks run to the warm side, so I tend to have a cyan lead - like 40C/30M/20Y/100K - keeps it from turning to charcoaly brown.

In offset - we used to use 65/55/50/100 - but thats alot of ink.

mustafade

The banner I am going to be printing is 6'x3' solid black background with white letters thou.
Would you still built it 3x33% & 100%K?

mustafade

Depends on your inks and which way they lean in hue/saturation.

My UV inks run to the warm side, so I tend to have a cyan lead - like 40C/30M/20Y/100K - keeps it from turning to charcoaly brown.

In offset - we used to use 65/55/50/100 - but that's a lot of ink.
65/55/50/100...!? that is too much ink for offset. You guys never had a offset problem with that mix?

10sacer

Remember - alot goes into particular brands of presses, inks, rollers and media, etc.... so its not a quick answer to say whats right or wrong - it was what gave us best result on an older 40" Heidelberg at the time with standard dots and film based plates. The advent of CTP technology probably negates that rich of a build now

mustafade

Remember - alot goes into particular brands of presses, inks, rollers and media, etc.... so its not a quick answer to say whats right or wrong - it was what gave us best result on an older 40" Heidelberg at the time with standard dots and film based plates. The advent of CTP technology probably negates that rich of a build now
You are right on the money! :)

Rooster

For offset I use 55/40/40/100. It's only 235% coverage which is pretty light for a sheetfed press.

For inkjet I use RGB black and let the profiles and ink limits do their thing.

smdgrfx

I have a JV3 on Triangle Inks using Flexi for rip. I usually run 40/40/40/100 and have no problems. I think each individual's profile is going to make the difference.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
For CMYK black we run same as smdgrfx - 40/40/40/100 - if the colors are specified in RGB (we setup most of our files as RGB with Pantone spot colors) then RGB black is set to 0/0/0. Running a JV33 with Triangle ink and Flexi RIP.