• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of PC do you get for large format files .tiffs and such

Joe House

I'd look at what your software requirements are (minimums) and what the recommended specs are. Different RIPs will be able to make use of different features more effectively than others can. Is your RIP software up to date? There have been some improvements to the software.
But as pointed out, most computers that can run Windows 10 will be able to handle any decent file. I regularly RIP off of my 8 yr old laptop, it may take a while on big files, but it's never failed, unless the file was the problem. Also some RIPs have file size limits. Are you exceeding the limits of your RIP software?
There's a bigger picture to look at. Don't just throw a new PC at the situation (unless you like new PCs)

Good Luck

Terry01

Why is it, that guys with printers and computer systems that are way over the top, have to call a service technician???
I run every OS but still use XP where i can because it is the most stable system around..

visual800

dell xps 8300 running i5 3ghz, windows 7, 2 tb harddrives, 6gb memory....all windows updates turned off, no defender, no damn firewall NO PROBLEMS!

paid $600 used on ebay about 6-7 years ago, this thing is a beast and its the 3rd one Ive owned

WildWestDesigns

I run every OS but still use XP where i can because it is the most stable system around..

Ironically, XP is the one that I actually actively avoid. I hated everything about that OS and when it first came out, it wasn't the most stable OS out there.

all windows updates turned off, no defender, no damn firewall NO PROBLEMS!

While I'm no lover of updates as they are a double edge sword and inherently bring instability, if you have a machine that is on the internet, I would in no way suggest not doing updates period. To me, production machines shouldn't see the outside world as it is (so no need for updates), but if you are on the internet, should be picking and choosing updates and applying them. I will admit, forced updates is what made me actively avoid Win 10 and go with Linux as my main OS, but I still apply updates. I pick and choose when I apply them and what I apply, but I wouldn't suggest totally avoiding updates if that rig sees the internet.

And the OS that I use now has a desktop market share of around 3% and it still has it's known vectors of attacks. I can't imagine an OS with a market share of what 90% being free of attacks to where they can not worry about things.

It is very hard to actually make the claim, it may be true, but it is very hard to truly be 100% certain in the assessment of "no problems". Some malware is designed not be as obvious as others, so unless you are very aware of what resources are constantly being used, it's hard to say that you don't have something going on. Especially with not using something to scan for processes that shouldn't be there. And if you are using something to scan for those processes, even if it's not defender, but something else, well, that's still using something.

Ironically too, malware now is going after things other then the desktop/laptops. Some are targeting routers and other IoT devices, which are even further back with legacy software that doesn't even get further updates from the vendor in most instances. And getting those devices, especially the router, that's even worse in some ways. Some malware actually attack both at the same time, when one fails they try to go after the other.

visual800

It is very hard to actually make the claim, it may be true, but it is very hard to truly be 100% certain in the assessment of "no problems". .

I understand the disbelief but I have had no issues NOT running updates. On that smae flip coin i had huge issues with updates. Computers bogging down after about a year. Flexisign not working after an update....I just got sick and tired of it. Sick of windows and their "critical" updates

I scan with ccleaner, mbam and of course I have avira av. I always check my startup and make sure nothing has snuck in there. I use Opera on the web, no more IE and no more Firefox (which I hate because back a couple years ago Firefox rocked! All programs are on a 2nd tb hardrive, all files also. If Avira pops up with a warning, I stop everything I do and tend to that.

WildWestDesigns

I understand the disbelief but I have had no issues NOT running updates. On that smae flip coin i had huge issues with updates. Computers bogging down after about a year. Flexisign not working after an update....I just got sick and tired of it. Sick of windows and their "critical" updates

Bare in mind, I'm no lover of updates, particularly Windows updates (but even Apple, of which I have far less sympathy for, has update woes as well and very recently) and I can see updates that are not security related (which is why I love being able to pick and choose my updates) now as they are forced and I've posted my fair share of them having to play IT when my dad has issues (which almost always happens on a big Win 10 update, causing the computer to bog down, it's a lot fluff that means nothing).

Updates in of themselves are inherently dangerous, they do bring instability. That's why it's best to test before deploying company wide (harder to do for smaller companies). With Flexisign though, to me, production rigs shouldn't be on the internet period. Why I'm not really diggin' the new cloud/subscription method on software used for production.

I think though, you are going to be in a world of hurt though when it's time to upgrade to Win 10. It's getting harder and harder to stop updates from happening and if you do stop the major OS updates, they tend to go EOL 18 months after release (not when they may get sent to your computers, but when they were originally released), this is almost as bad as each version of Fedora going EOL (13 months).

I scan with ccleaner, mbam and of course I have avira av.

So you use something, just not the built in stuff, which is fine. I've not been a fan of the MS built in stuff for a long time.

The one thing that I always seem to get when we have these discussions, is that I get the feeling that you believe that the OS code is perfect and all the updates are just fluff. If that's the case, why use anything at all? The code shouldn't be exploitable if updates are not necessary period.

I always check my startup and make sure nothing has snuck in there. I use Opera on the web, no more IE and no more Firefox (which I hate because back a couple years ago Firefox rocked! All programs are on a 2nd tb hardrive, all files also. If Avira pops up with a warning, I stop everything I do and tend to that.

Firefox rocks yet again within the last few months. I hated Opera. Firefox really has gotten better recently. Never did like Chrome or even Chromium.

Johnny Best

Y'all sound like your comparing your ED supplements to having a "bigger and stronger" problem solved.
My MacBook Pro has never failed me on large files or the older laptop I run my RIP with. Was thinking of getting a new one but will wait for newer upgrades on their processors.

WildWestDesigns

My MacBook Pro has never failed me on large files or the older laptop I run my RIP with. Was thinking of getting a new one but will wait for newer upgrades on their processors.

Key thing is properly spec'ed out, but sometimes, one does get a lemon, even with the high dollar items as well. My mom had a MacBook Pro for 10 yrs and didn't fail her and that was running a VM of Vista as well. The ball and chain has had bad luck with her iPhone, Air and her MacBook. The only thing that is chugging along her is iPad Mini, which I don't think Apple is continuing.

I don't know how serious Apple is on upgrading their prosumer lines though. Either that or they are keeping everything close to the vest. I certainly hope the rumors aren't true about going ARM for their desktops/laptops. To me, I was kinda disappointed with their dev conference from awhile back. Of course, I was a little pre occupied with the GitHub news.

The one advantage that Apple does have is control over hardware as well as software. That helps with the experience versus other OSs and software on those. A lot of different ability to mix and match, which can actually lead to varying results. Of course, the downside to what Apple does is that if they get something wrong, far less sympathy. So it's a trade off.

Santimus

I don't think I saw anybody mention the word "workstation". For somebody who is asking what kind of computer to get they might not know all the terminology thrown around but "workstation" would help narrow things down. I saw a mention of Xeon and ECC RAM but that might not mean much to a newbie. Basically a workstation computer has components that are geared for work like ours (Xeon, ECC, FirePro, Quadro, etc). Yes, you can buy a PC built for gamers with an i7, ssd, 32gb ram, and a 1080 card BUT a workstation PC with a xeon i7, ssd, and a Quadro gpu would give you better performance in this industry. I hope that helps you decide!

JPR-5690

Wait so is everyone here a windows fan? Unless the software/rip software is only compatible with with windows, I always argue for macs. You can buy them through their business program and (if you qualify) save money and have it financed. The applecare program has been indispensable - any problem and you can immediately chat with the tech who can remotely access the computer and help solve your problems. The cost for a nice computer that works easily pays for itself by saving the time and hassle it takes to deal with slow or glitchy computer.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Let's start with the files....if you are getting files that big, you probably do not need to RIP them at that size. ALWAYS scale down overkill to a point you know the RIP can handle quickly. A 300 DPI Photoshop file that's 8' x 10' really can be saved out as a JPG with a little compression, at 72 DPI, and your RIP will handle that easily. The details will not be lost. I never print the source file (i.e. whatever the customer sent). I almost always scale up or down in resolution depending on the end product.

WildWestDesigns

Wait so is everyone here a windows fan? Unless the software/rip software is only compatible with with windows, I always argue for macs.

I lost my fandom of Windows with Win 10 and no longer run Windows (and only legacy Windows at that, I'm doing my upmost not to run Win 10) on bare metal, but no I didn't go the Mac route either.

Like it or not, Windows does have the advantage of more software options. Plus, price points are also much easier to swallow then with Macs in general.

The cost for a nice computer that works easily pays for itself by saving the time and hassle it takes to deal with slow or glitchy computer.

I've had a slow Mac (back in 08, it was actually slower then Vista, but to be fair, it was an iMac), my wife has had 2 glitchy Macs. My mom loved hers. Go figure.

Last edited:

zopylote

I recently got some large print orders that my PC can't handle. Any advice on what kind of hardware I need to get large files processed?

I currently have 8G Ram and a solid state drive running on a PC windows 10.

check your temp files under your user account and erase them
how many file you have on your desktop?
if you have your desktop full of files, all of those files are expending ram every time you open windows, move those files to your docs or wherever you want and create shorcut for that folder for easy access
i’m printer tech (engineer) mac/pc rip software expert and graphic designer

try to see the file in photoshop if the file is larger than 180” drop down the dpi to 52 and save as jpeg or pdf

mark galoob

I learnt a long time ago these things...I don’t do my own taxes, I don’t repair my vehicles and I don’t build my own computers. I make more money by doing what I do which is making the rain, and doing it well. Why fight w keeping up w the computer industry when you can pay Casey to build you something that’s going to work every single time without problems. That is investment money well spent and ends up making me money in the long run. Who cares what’s inside the dam things I just want them to run w no problems. Fixing Problems is time consuming and costs money. Who needs the hassle.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I learnt a long time ago these things...I don’t do my own taxes, I don’t repair my vehicles and I don’t build my own computers. I make more money by doing what I do which is making the rain, and doing it well. Why fight w keeping up w the computer industry when you can pay Casey to build you something that’s going to work every single time without problems. That is investment money well spent and ends up making me money in the long run. Who cares what’s inside the dam things I just want them to run w no problems. Fixing Problems is time consuming and costs money. Who needs the hassle.

Do what you enjoy doing. Some people enjoy the challenge of working on their own PCs and building them and appreciating the specs and how it works. Some people enjoy getting nasty working on their cars.

Besides, sometimes it's quicker for a knowledgeable person to figure out their own computer, then watching someone who is billing by the hour.

Could I pay someone a few bucks to mow my yard? Yes, but in a strange way I don't mind getting out there in the beating sun and smelling like gas and grass.

WildWestDesigns

Do what you enjoy doing. Some people enjoy the challenge of working on their own PCs and building them and appreciating the specs and how it works. Some people enjoy getting nasty working on their cars.

Besides, sometimes it's quicker for a knowledgeable person to figure out their own computer, then watching someone who is billing by the hour.

Could I pay someone a few bucks to mow my yard? Yes, but in a strange way I don't mind getting out there in the beating sun and smelling like gas and grass.

It all depends on what is more efficient. Sometimes techs see more things and may have more solutions that they can try for an issue then someone that may know what's in their computer, but don't troubleshoot them all the time. So it might take longer to arrive at the same conclusion (if ever).

Bare in mind, I enjoy my computers, much more then just tools to perform a task and that's it (one of the main reasons why I switched to Linux, it allows me to get even more nitty gritty then Windows or Mac), but I go with what is more efficient in the long run.

Now, this will probably get me some flack, but I do believe that the knowledge base of the general user has gone down and I think that's a bad thing. Don't have to be at tech level mind you, but some of the more simpler things just have been lost on the general public and that's not good. As much as computers are used for darn near everything, I truly believe that's a bad thing that it seems like there has been a regression in the general knowledge base.