• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of vinyl is right for me?

boostednlinefor

Without going in to too much detail, here are some important factors and my critical requirements:

-painted/clear coat metal substrate
-high conformability/stretchability of complex contours
-outdoors with exposure to the elements and periodic exposure to high and low temps
-paint-like finish (near zero ridges, hatches or other patterns from the adhesive showing through)
-colors available of at least white, black, matt black and graphite
-at least 4-5 year durability
-decent abrasion resistance
-removable if needed (doesn't have to just peel off, but won't destroy the substrate)
-will NOT be printing or using any ink on the film

What brands and "models" should I be looking at? I admit I've only tried Arlon 2100 (cast) and it's doing.. okay. I would like something that stretches a bit better to my contours and doesn't tear, rip or nick as easily.

Also, really stupid question, but what is the purpose of laminate?? Does it sit on top of the film and stay on there after the install? Does it stretch like the film does?

letterman7

I admire your post. I fear that you'll be dumped on by some of the regulars for such a basic question that really you ought to know the answer to even before you start. That said, each film is going to react differently. You won't need a laminate if you're not printing - regular vinyl is meant to be left uncovered. Any manufacturer will normally warrant their vinyl for 7 years or more on a vertical surface - all bets are off on a horizontal (hoods, roofs, etc).
You'll want a basic 2 mil vinyl. I would suggest sticking with brand names - 3M, FDC and Arlon. They will all be cast films. I'm not familiar with the 2100 from Arlon as I've never used it; order some color charts from each manufacturer and a couple short rolls and try them - it's the only way you'll learn what works.

Techman

you ain't saying anything to give you any advice.

ARe you printing?
ARe you cutting?
What are you doing?
Signs?
Calvin Decals?
Window graphics?

Malkin

Laminate will add some slight abrasion resistance, and aides in the install by thickening the film. It may not be necessary for your purposes though.

boostednlinefor

I knew I'd left out some details! I'll be cutting, no printing.

Does the laminate have the same stretching properties to handle the complex contours as the film?

The film will be on outdoor medium sized, high speed fan blades that are subject to the elements and when the motor is under high load can reach 200*F surface temps for brief periods of time. Some blades have crazy designs with complex contours.

The abrasion resistance would be nice as small and usually light weight debris (wood chips, small rocks or pebbles, dirt) can sometimes make it's way up and hit the fan blade.

GypsyGraphics

Welcome from PA ...........................
ROFLMAO.gif

Farmboy

Boosted, you've gotten a few good recommendations of where to start...for your own safety you may want to slowly back outta this thread now. Don't turn around, just back up slooowly. (and Welcome from NY, a little north of PA)

boostednlinefor

Lol thanks for the advice but ya'll don't scare me. Next time I'll post in the newbies forum--oh wait.

The film needs to be colored, but I had originally considered paint protection film.

Any word on Oracal 951? Or even 970 RA, which is claimed to simulate appearance of factory applied paint? The jobs don't use a ton of material so a little extra cost okay.

Seems like everyone likes 751 so I'll give that a shot too.