• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of vinyl this could be?

Amazing Roy

Hi, I ordered 3M cast IJ180 graphics from a big wholesale vendor and they sent me graphics with different backing I'm used getting. When I called them they said it is IJ180 but I suspect it is not. Take a look at the backing image and let me know what you think.
IMG_3688.jpg

2B

What does the tag say in the core roll?

Is the material air release?
that is the quickest way to tell if it is ElectroCut vs wrap material

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Only stuff we have with a backer like that is IJ35 which we have priced lower as an everyday yard sign type vinyl. We use IJ180 for most vehicle wraps and occasionally for outdoor signage.

upload_2020-8-25_11-55-34.png

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Most wholesalers don't ship vinyl graphics with a core.....
We ship ALL prints on cores FYI. Keeps them protected and preserved for shipping.

You ordered the good stuff and got the cheap crap. That is not 180cv3....Controltak on the back with a much darker watermark. Big whore wholesalers....lol. BUT....IJ40-C comes with the same adhesive as the 180 & backer liner. IJ40 is still a calendared vinyl.

Attachments

• IMG_20200825_140701.jpg
    IMG_20200825_140701.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 241

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We use quite a bit of the 40c Controltak. Have to be careful because it can be confused somewhat after laminating. Operators have to realize our matte 3m controltak is the 40 & the glossy controltak is the 180.

Amazing Roy

So, my fear is confirmed here. It is calandered vinyl and I installed it on a vehicle :mad:. should I get an official opinion before I go back and ask for my money back? Does anybody know how can I find who is 3M rep in my area?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Contact your vinyl distributor (Like Grimco/Fellers) and they should be able to tell you who your local 3M rep is.

I've put IJ35c on a few cheaper customers' vehicles in the past without issues, not full wraps, but print/cut graphics.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
So, my fear is confirmed here. It is calandered vinyl and I installed it on a vehicle :mad:. should I get an official opinion before I go back and ask for my money back? Does anybody know how can I find who is 3M rep in my area?
If you installed it on a vehicle....you might be in trouble. Ask for your money back from the vendor without a doubt. Take the photos I sent...3m controltak backer and the one you have of the scotch cal and prove to them they sent the wrong stuff.
Be honest with your client and tell them if anything goes wrong you'll warranty it and replace it. Honesty is the best thing here with your client. You might piss em off...but, you've been up front with them and hopefully earn their respect. The easiest way to get out of a not-so-good situation like this is to fess up and assure your client you are on the ball with it. Honesty is the best policy.

karst41

A roll of IJ180cvs cost $585
A Roll of IJ 35c-10 or 20 cost $212.
A Roll of IJ 40 is $420 ish? I do not use it.

karst41

35C is a permanent adhesive. The longer it's on the vehicle the harder it will be to remove.

It removes decently after 5 years, but we are also heating with Manchesters.
Adhesive cleans up with a little xylene on a rag.
Or if still warm adhesive to adhesive gets it too. Just takes longer.

Cheers

De.signs Nanaimo

Yes that is IJ40 for sure, I use it all the time for anything flat even vehicles and floor graphics. It lasts great and may be fine on the vehicle if installed well, but for sure get 3M involved they don't like their products misrepresented by anyone. Use Rapid Remove for any glue removal, I have taken 20 year old glue off no problem, I even used it to clean permanent marker off of a Mercedes hood once.