Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What material do places at the oceans and malls use on shirts?

Discussion in 'Printwear' started by john1, Sep 27, 2012.

1. john1

john1 Guest

Hey guys, Ever see those guys in the middle of a boardwalk or a mall pressing shirts with funny designs and knock off brand designs?

What exactly is the material they use? Is it a heat transfer eco-solvent material or something else?

Just curious :thankyou:

Tags:
  2. Mike_Koval

Mike_Koval Active Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Uniontown, PA
    the stock designs are screened transfers and some are cutting there own vinyl for names and other personalization. Some also using pre-cut lettering as well.

3. Twisted Images

Twisted Images Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Highland, CA
    it can be screen printed transfers if they are simple designs or just regular cut heat transfer material or eco-solv printed heat transfer material.

4. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Screened transfers can ve very complex designs.

5. binki

binki Very Active Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    the ones i have seen are plastisol transfers. basically a partially cured screen print. heat pressing it fully cures it to the shirt.

6. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    This is probably the 2nd most used. Airbrushed shirts tend to be the ones that are favored more around here I've noticed. The more tourist trap type of place, the more of them there are.

7. Cyw

Cyw Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Agree, most are plastisol
    You can buy stock designs.....like most of them seen in malls and resort areas, or custom
    Any design you want can be reproduced.
    Different transfer makers have different guidelines on custom artwork

If properly made and properly heat transferred, the result is very reliable
    I have custom plastisol transfer shirts that I still wear that were produced over a decade ago
    On some of them, the print is in better shape than the shirt itself!

Diane

8. binki

binki Very Active Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    I have seen the airbrush guys. Either way by the time you get done a white shirt with the customization on it runs about $35.

9. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    I think a lot of them are using transfer paper too. I haven't gotten a good look at any of them but one that I saw seemed to be able to produce designs on demand, which could only be transfer paper, I think.

10. Cyw

Cyw Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Besides inkjet you could also do sublimation on demand......DTG on 'semi-demand'

We're located only a couple miles from Seaside Park and most all the transfers they used in our resort areas were plastisol or a variation with glitter, foil or puff added

Yes, I said Seaside and yes, I used past tense on purpose
    The devastation around me is nothing short of heart wrenching

Diane

11. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Since GB said transfer paper, to me that would include sublimation as well since it uses transfer paper.

I have quite a few digitizing customers out that way and what I have been getting from them is just awful. I hate it when things like that happen.

12. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    The plastisols used to be popular here.. walk in, pick the shirt, the design and they press it for you on the spot.. The small tshirt shops are gone now and the big ones just carry preprinted designs. Airbrush is still around though because it's "touristy" on a different level.

13. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Heat transfer material for your Roland versacamm

john1, with a heat press, you are good to go with your 30" Versacamm. You could use either one of these printable products:

Roland HTM http://www.cssignsupply.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=436

http://www.cssignsupply.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=634 -OR-

FDC http://www.fdcfilms.com/series/prin...-pu-thermal-advantage-heat-transfer-film-9303

Please let me know how I may help.

14. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

yep screen printed from a place like airwaves. Copyright police should shut every one of those places down..... we have one here at the local mall..... its a joke'

15. Edna

Edna Member

Oct 9, 2012
    I used to do spin art on t-shirts at the festivals I went two at.

16. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Coyright police?!?!

synergy_jim, I thought "...Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..." :Big Laugh

17. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

imitation is..... not blatant stealing....

18. Zakk

Zakk Member

Mar 13, 2011
    I have not seen anyone actually airbrush in years. Heat transferred plasticol is all I see around here (South Florida) these days .

19. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    http://www.cssignsupply.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=436

Just used some of this . I did not like the "handling" of the material-- its super thin, edges curl on full bleeds even after waiting an hour (dirs. state 30 mins) Does not stretch well on the gramet and sounds like a walmart bag once applied. Cutting is tuff on smaller letters and shapes as the silicone paper doesn't hold the material well.

I will say the printing surface prints very well. :thumb:

Markus

20. BobCap

BobCap Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Gilobert, MN
    I use Sihl 3197 on my Mutoh VJ1304 cut with my Graphtec 8000.

Works great, no printing problem, no contour cut problems, no weeding problems and no heat transfer problems.

I used to use it just for dark garmnets. Now I use it for everything. T shirts, tote bags anything textile.

Bob Cap