• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What material for Quality real estate post signs?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The rounded corners have nothing to do with the integrity of the sign other than if a kid rides a bicycle by and hits the corner of a very thin substrate, he/she might poke an eye out or cut themselves. It's a safety precaution. An adult could injure themselves too, but generally are a little more observant.
GET OFF MY LAWN KID! There, I fixed that problem.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, he flips ya off, takes a crap right there and says go f*ck yourself old man. Nothing ya can do, cause you didn't get his gender card information, so you don't know which pronoun to address it with and ya can't beat up kids. Balls back in your court, dudie.

Notarealsignguy

So, he flips ya off, takes a crap right there and says go f*ck yourself old man. Nothing ya can do, cause you didn't get his gender card information, so you don't know which pronoun to address it with and ya can't beat up kids. Balls back in your court, dudie.
That's when you beat him over the head with your sign. Girl, boy, whatever. You shouldn't have been on my goddam lawn!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No....... now it's securely fastened with 3 hooks and tethered at the bottom, so now you cut your hand pulling it off the hangers you so splendidly installed. The kid flips ya another bird and tells ya to bite it, old man and you give chase, leaving a trail of blood. Will you have enough blood with you running your fat a$$ down the street before ya pass out ?? Make sure you have your gender card on ya, so the medics know what you are before conducting any forms of reviving your old fat a$$. All because you didn't round your corners.

Notarealsignguy

Ohhhh ok I get it. If you're fat and can't run faster than the kid that you beat over the head with your sign then you absolutely have to round the corners. See now, that makes sense Gino. Why didn't you just say that?

chester215

Just call me Chester.
1. Alum- The thicker the better. On the plus side it has scrap value when you retire them.
2. ACM- We have thousands of RE signs here and by far the best value for the money is ACM.
3. Coro- Can't recommend it, it is garbage for outdoor signs.
4. The poly and other plastic materials- I have a pvc sign here over 25 years old and still looks ok, found it under some leaves out back.
A few years ago they changed the ink they use on the plastic panels and now you can scrape off the ink with a fingernail. They may be ok with vinyl lettering but the modern inks don't seem to adhere as well to it as the old inks did. We have seen the same results from several manufacturers.
MDO- No way.

3rd hole for a wind chain attached to the post- Great Idea. We use them on some signs by the ocean where it is windy.

Quark

Merchant Member
Thank you all, great feedback. I’m clear now I was way over thinking it. Thanks you all for contributing !

brdesign

Avoid PVC or Sintra it can warp outside in the summer heat. I've seen 1/2 panels warp in 90+ degree heat if it's not carefully mounted.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
The "standard" (as in, most every sign blank sold as being for banjo frames and such) is .04" aluminum, and they work fine for the post/panel setups, too. And they pretty much always have a 1/4" or 1/2" radius corner (or they used to, anyway- haven't done a real estate sign in something like 12 years, thank goodness).
3mm ACM, if it actually works out that it's cheaper for you to cut it yourself (as opposed to buying the .04" blanks) would actually be an option you might be able to upsell, as the thicker material gives the customer the impression that they're getting something "beefy".
Personally, I'd avoid coroplast on that type of sign. It would just look all kinds of cheap. If they're using step-stakes, sure. Even banjo frames, but not on a hanging sign that's supposed to look like it's a quality product.
PVC would be fine- but only if you use the outdoor quality stuff (there's a specific name for it that's eluding me). The cheap stuff will almost certainly warp, especially if covered with a dark colored print or paint that's just soaking up the sun/heat.
MDO will only look nice until it warps. And it will.

All of that said, though, your real dilemma (at least in my experience) is that you'll be hard pressed to convince an agent/broker to pay for the quality you're wanting to provide. They are (again, in my experience) some of the stingiest, obnoxious, most P.I.T.A. customers you can have unless you've contracted with the agency itself to a rigid set of specs that the brokers/agents are expected to adhere to. You can come up with the best possible solution as far as looks and durability, and they'll still be trying to nickel and dime you on every single one of them.
If they do buy from you, they're also going to generally abuse the $#++ out of what you give them a fully expect you to replace them stuff for free- like when they toss it in the back of their minivan on top of their kid's bike and the pedal gouges a tear across the face, or the post gets cracked when they're backing up that minivan to remove the sign and roll over it- except what they were really doing is looking at their phone, or their picture "doesn't look right" (even though they're the ones- or their 'cousin who's a designer'- provided a "print-ready" files and it was fine when they got the six months previous), or the S hooks "fell out". The list just goes on and on.

Man, am I happy not to deal with those items any more.