• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Material Would You Use Here...

grafixemporium

I'm bidding on a job similar to the one pictured here. This is not a photo of the actual job or design. It's an indoor application on glass walls. The client would like to use clear vinyl and would like for the printing to be sort of semi-translucent. The glass portions need to remain as clear as possible.

It kind of looks like the attached prints were done on clear vinyl on a printer with no white ink. What do you think?

We don't have the capability to print white in house. As such, I've never tried to print on clear material so I have no idea what the results would look like. I'm assuming they'd look something like the attached image. If you were in the same boat, how would you handle this job? would you print this job yourself or sub it? What material would you use? What overlaminate would you use to avoid haze?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Andrew

Attachments

• dana s2ksigns.jpg
    dana s2ksigns.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 233
J

john1

Digital white translucent maybe? Not sure if they make that but that would be my guess.

ProWraps

ack. thats a tough one. ive had the same request and ive yet to figure it out with digital printing methods.

Custom_Grafx

by the way, it's polymeric, so I guess if you really had to laminate it, you could use a matching matte lam.

also, if it's white, and not the etchmark white ur after, then yes, as john mentioned, there is are translucent white printable vinyls (which i have made lightbox panels with before).

the printed etchmark seems to be more popular though

Sticky Signs

Looks like it may be a matt clear vinyl, etched glass vinyl or maybe even just printed directly to a clear lam. Nothing in that photo shows white ink. Either way, those prints look great.

heyskull

I would print onto matt clear and maybe at a double pass just to ensure density.
I would do a few test prints to test the way this prints.

Also one thing your client must understand is this effect will only work if the interior of the shop is white or very bright!

SC

Custom_Grafx

Here you go.

This is the best products for such applications.

Let me know if you want a turn key solution. We print this kind of stuff all the time.

Also super easy to install bubble free...

http://www.digitalwindowgraphics.com/

That looks like some nice stuff. Available in Australia? I am curious to ask my supplier if there is anything we have here that's optically clear and printable. Most stuff is ok, but I mean almost pure clear. I heard it's around, but didn't get to catch the name of it. Thought it might be a 3M or avery product.

heres some pics.

Media is 100% optically clear

Attachments

• West 1 .jpg
    West 1 .jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 148
  • west 4.jpg
    west 4.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 139
  • west 2.jpg
    west 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 112
  • west 3.jpg
    west 3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 135
  • west 7.jpg
    west 7.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 136

Anicom

I agree with cdiesel, the Mactac B-free products are fantastic and while the "clear" is not 100% optically clear it's impossible to tell if the graphic is full coverage. The air egress means dry application without any bubbles, the only recommendation I have based on our experiences is that it's even easier to apply when lamninated with either a clear gloss or a lustre if you want to add some translucent properties to it.

MikePro

reverse (flipped) print on clear, back laminate with a dusted/frosted crystal vinyl and apply 2nd surface.

grafixemporium

Beautiful Merritt... perfect solution. Is this laminated? I'll shoot you a PM with square footage and see if you can quote it for me. Thanks!

Pacific Sign

ive done a job similar to the one you've posted.

1.Printed the Mirrored/Reversed Graphic on 3M IJ3650 Transparent Clear.
The reason for the Mirrored/Reversed Graphic is because it was applied to the glass sub-surface or behind the glass.
2.Laminated the Graphic with 3M 8519 Luster Laminate.
3.Applied the Graphic to the glass with soapy water.

I don't have pictures of the job but it does provide a semi transparent look, since I too do not have the capabilities of printing with white ink. By the way, I used a Mimaki JV3-160SP with solvent inks.

Hope you find your solution! Take Care

grafixemporium

Interesting Pacific. Did the 8519 Leave a hazy look? Was the translucent effect just enough to let light through or could you actually see through the print as you can in Merrits photos? Were you and the customer happy with the results?