• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What paint would you suggest?

S'N'S

I have to paint panels onto Probond (Aluminium composite) panels and wondering if I should use oil base or acrylic and do I need to use a primer. These are large 3meter panels and will have 2.7 meters painted.
I've never really had the need to paint them before except for a few small ones (half a meter sq) and just used enamel with no primer and seemed to stick ok. I don't want them to start to peel in a year or two.
Cheers Gary

Signsforwhile

As long as they already have an enamel on them already you can use either. Usually if we need to do a custom color we'll order aluminum in a color that's close, sand it with 220 to promote adhesion then spray or roll latex onto it. You could also use an oil if you want.

Bare aluminum needs the proper primer. Ronan makes a water based direct to metal primer called prime lock that grips well. I think even rustoleum has an aluminum primer you can find at any box store.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Baked white aluminum? For large areas/backgrounds scuff it with a 3M Scotch-Brite Pad to give it some tooth and oil base enamel adheres fine. No need to prime.

Scott Reynolds

Probond, Dibond, same thing. Prep thing and paint them the same as a car.

From their web site "PROBOND is paintable with a two part polyurethane coating."

Ive sprayed Imron 6000 on Dibond before. Looked nice. Didnt peel. I used dupont DTM primer under the paint. Just sand with 500-600 wet, 400 dry with a DA or "Red" Scotch Brite and use a good automotive paint. What ever you do, dont paint over shinny paint. Thats a big no no. Scott