• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What printer for the hobbyist which got enough of L25500?

Chris Formela

Hello everyone.

As per title...
I do restore and collect pinball and arcade machines. Bought L25500 over a year ago due to the low price but it seems to be far too big for me, generates lot of media waste and I don't print enough so need to constantly clean the heads.
Colours are not best too (might be my lack of experience).
I would mainly use it to print some arcade cabinet vinyls and more often - smaller stickers.

What approx. 30" printer, possibly "print & cut" would you recommend? I do own Graphtec FC7000-130 cutting plotter but could do with some space save.
Cheaper then better but my budget would be around 3000GBP (4000USD)

Thank you.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm afraid I don't have any sound advice on what printer you need, but I love pinball. Cheers to restoring the machines!

Last edited:

2B

all printers need to be used often or set up for automatic cleaning.

VersaStudio BN-20 Series
closest to your budget

Summa DC5sx Print & Cut
closest to the desired 30" size

It is probably best to find a local that does wide format printing and just outsource to them

Chris Formela

BN-20 would be too small.
I don't mind even 40" just don't want another 60" animal that drinks lot of ink and eats all the media (not to mention HP maintenance kit) :)

I'm also not looking for a brand new printer.

Chris Formela

I'm using Digital Factory v4. Dont know enough about profiles etc. yet.
I had a look on HP L310 but I'm not sure if it would be any better for me than my l25500. It's only a bit smaller and not sure if it's any more economical.

I've been reading through the posts and so far Mimaki CJV 150-75 looks interesting.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Latex sucks. You can get a roland or mimaki print/cut in 30"
Mimaki just came out with some new printers so you may be able to catch a deal on the old 150/300 models. A DC5 would probably be really nice for what you do but they're pretty rare now which would keep me away from them unless I was doing something like you are.
Actually, I would look pretty hard at the DC5 if I were doing what you are doing. You would have metallics and chrome available which Id assume would be things that you run across in old pinball machines?

Last edited:

Chris Formela

Which Roland models would you recommend? Can't really find myself out in their numerology.
So far CJV150 looks promising. CJV300 out of my price range. Is there a Roland's alternative that offers similar features/quality?

edit: DC5 looks interesting, especially the fluorescent/custom colours which would be useful to me but no idea how economical they are and probably impossible to find now.
edit 2: Just checked. It would cost me a fortune to use it for pinball cabinet decals (lot of them got black background). :)

Last edited:

Chris Formela

Just checked the spec of BN-20. I love the idea of metallic or white ink but size really is a problem. I might consider it in the future as a 2nd printer unless there is bigger alternative for it.

edit: Looks like CJV150 also offers metallic and white.

Last edited:

Chris Formela

I'm aware of that but once I've got decent, working printer I'll use it more. I run computer shop/service so the printer will be also used for lot of other purposes.
I like the possibility/comfort of making my own stuff whenever I want, without necessity of using someone else.

I'm also hoping that bit more modern printer won't be such an attention wh**e as l25500 is :D but correct me if I'm wrong.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We've done several "hobby" projects, similar to what you are doing. After the first few times... I wished they would just get their own printer and do it themselves. They were pita projects. I'm not saying you're that kinda client. But you're reasons for wanting to print it yourself are good ones.

Chris Formela

We've done several "hobby" projects, similar to what you are doing. After the first few times... I wished they would just get their own printer and do it themselves. They were pita projects. I'm not saying you're that kinda client. But you're reasons for wanting to print it yourself are good ones.
Yup. I'm aware of that :) I'll be printing lot of completely random stuff. With many mistakes, errors, corrections. Finding correct colours to match particular machine etc.
So far, after watching several videos about CJV150 I'm slowly falling in love in it (if someone knows better alternative then plz let me know). Also it looks much cheaper to run than l25500 as there is no need for the Maintenance unit which is quite pricey (plus at least 2m of media every time I want to check and clean the heads.)

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's a good basic printer. I think it's very similar to the past generation SP Roland's but faster. I'm not sold on the jv100s or any of the new lines yet.

Tim de Beir

I have a latex 360 for sale 3500 euro of 4500 with rip and dekstop pc. I am from Bruges Belgium. Printer is 5 years young and replaxed by latex 700w.

Chris Formela

Why not using one of the Epson or HP Photo Printers?
I need large printouts (ocassionaly) with long life spam (got laminator) I don't think any of mentioned would suit me but I might be wrong. Posibbility of printing metallic is something that will be very useful to me too.

Chris Formela

I'm 99% sure that cjv150 (75 or 103 - depends on price) will be my choice.
Be prepared for ton of posts about help with using it

I'd like to thank everyone for help and advice.

FrankW

I need large printouts (ocassionaly) with long life spam (got laminator) I don't think any of mentioned would suit me but I might be wrong. Posibbility of printing metallic is something that will be very useful to me too.
These printers are used to print fine art, should last years inhouse.

With low volume, you will not be happy with solvent metallic. Printers with metallic ink (as white ink too) need a lot of maintenance, and the metallic effect is gone when overlaminating. And metallic prints dont last as long as color prints.