• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What printer to get Epson or HP

ikarasu

Care to tell is what 54-60” eco-solvent printer has 5 - $4k heads when pretty much every single printer on this level runs $8k-20k brand new? You guys always jump to how cheap and easy the heads are to replace. You never bring up that they are this way because its a regular maintenance item unlike every other printer on the market that uses a robust permanent head.
Its like saying cheap chinese tires are better than goodyear cuz you can get new brand tires every 3 months.
Im not saying its a terrible printer but for once be honest about them and their pitfalls.

Seiko h2-74s. 8 heads - a year and a half ago we were quoted $4400 per head, including labor to change them. We had 6 heads all die at once... And we were told it's because the heads last an average of 5-6 years. We had the official seiko engineer who makes the machines fly out from Japan and examine our machine because we didn't like the explanation that 6 heads die for no reason, and we weren't about to drop 25k on a machine to fix and then in 6 years have to do it again.

This is Canadian funds... So a bit Cheaper in usd.

Either way. Let's say all heads need replacing on 6 years ( we were told it's rare for it to happen, but is possible). Lets say 4k a head x 8 heads. $32,000/6 - $5330 a year... Or $440 a month.

We spend maybe $1000 a year to replace our print heads on our latex. The maintenance cart is cheaper and less manual labor also. So in Printhead regards... Unless you get a machine that you can do your own print heads, and they last beyond 5 years.... I'd say latex wins in that regard hands down. People always talk like consumable heads is a downfall, but it's not to us.

And our machine wasn't unique. Search for Seiko heads failing and there's dozens of posts about Neary every head in their machine breaking all at once with no head crashes or nothing. It's why although seikos are beasts and great machines, I'd never recommend one.

But even after that... I'm not against solvents. The new Epson is awesome. If I knew the heads wouldn't all die and cost me 20k to repair in 5 years, I'd probably have one.

ikarasu

Picking a printer is based on what you produce and how it gets produced, which is different for every shop. Case in point. I looked at all the printers and I mean all of them. Wired my office for a latex and was ready to buy one. I ended up getting another solvent printer. Why? Deal breaker for me was latex can't run small pieces and small pieces left over from larger jobs are what I use for industrial labeling.

Not knocking the tech, but it wasn't the right fit for what I do. I don't run full rolls of anything in one shot. Also not going to run several square feet of vinyl to produce two 4" x 6" labels. Some say it's the cost of doing business with a latex. I can't accept that and wring every last bit of printable area out of every roll I buy.

Every printer has strengths and weaknesses. Buy what fits your business model not what works for someone else.

This was hard to get used to. If I remember to untape the vinyl to the core I can print up to the last 12" on a roll... But everything 4 ft and under I don't even bother with our latex. Too much effort / work for such minimal savings. It is expensive media I save it and use it on our flatbed. But yes... I agree with you, using offcuts and scraps isn't feasible on the latex. Most material has a 12" waste in the front also... So more.media wastage. If you're constantly changing materials to print a foot or two, you'll be wasting more material than your printing and it's not worth it.

I remember on our Seiko we could print half an inch from the edge of the material... It was great.

rjssigns

This was hard to get used to. If I remember to untape the vinyl to the core I can print up to the last 12" on a roll... But everything 4 ft and under I don't even bother with our latex. Too much effort / work for such minimal savings. It is expensive media I save it and use it on our flatbed. But yes... I agree with you, using offcuts and scraps isn't feasible on the latex. Most material has a 12" waste in the front also... So more.media wastage. If you're constantly changing materials to print a foot or two, you'll be wasting more material than your printing and it's not worth it.

I remember on our Seiko we could print half an inch from the edge of the material... It was great.

My new printer is set for 5mm margins. Great for doing posters and banners, but I manually adjust the width to 52" if there's a contour cut.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Seiko h2-74s. 8 heads - a year and a half ago we were quoted $4400 per head, including labor to change them. We had 6 heads all die at once... And we were told it's because the heads last an average of 5-6 years. We had the official seiko engineer who makes the machines fly out from Japan and examine our machine because we didn't like the explanation that 6 heads die for no reason, and we weren't about to drop 25k on a machine to fix and then in 6 years have to do it again.

This is Canadian funds... So a bit Cheaper in usd.

Either way. Let's say all heads need replacing on 6 years ( we were told it's rare for it to happen, but is possible). Lets say 4k a head x 8 heads. $32,000/6 - $5330 a year... Or $440 a month.

We spend maybe $1000 a year to replace our print heads on our latex. The maintenance cart is cheaper and less manual labor also. So in Printhead regards... Unless you get a machine that you can do your own print heads, and they last beyond 5 years.... I'd say latex wins in that regard hands down. People always talk like consumable heads is a downfall, but it's not to us.

And our machine wasn't unique. Search for Seiko heads failing and there's dozens of posts about Neary every head in their machine breaking all at once with no head crashes or nothing. It's why although seikos are beasts and great machines, I'd never recommend one.

But even after that... I'm not against solvents. The new Epson is awesome. If I knew the heads wouldn't all die and cost me 20k to repair in 5 years, I'd probably have one.
Dont be ridiculous, its not even in the same class. Lets take a normal machine with a single dx5 or dx7 head like most are running and compare it to the like latex. 5-6 years $1500-2500 for eco solvent vs $5k on latex by your numbers.
You can go older with dual dx4 and run around $1200 and they take a couple of hours to do it yourself.
The new epsons dont have $20k in heads either.

I've had at least three Surecolor heads replaced, and typically would be printing by the end of the next business day. Your dollar amounts are accurate for out of warranty, but the service contracts for after warranty are fairly priced and include one printhead per year if needed.

Good morning, yes with a service contract that does improve the situation, but of course all at that additional cost. Paying more money does change things-always. Also the warranty on a new Epson printhead is 30 days I'm told. Hp printheads have a year minimum. thx wideimagesolutions.com

jpescobar

All this talking about which better Eco-solvent and Latex printers is similar to Windows-macOS systems, Android-iOS smartphones, fuel-electric cars...
Everyone is free to pick the tech, the device and the machine he considers suited for himself and for his business. I like to see people and owners giving advices to others without biasing them. Manufacturers don't care if you like their products or not, only sales figures and profits matters.

funnyb0nz

Picking a printer is based on what you produce and how it gets produced, which is different for every shop. Case in point. I looked at all the printers and I mean all of them. Wired my office for a latex and was ready to buy one. I ended up getting another solvent printer. Why? Deal breaker for me was latex can't run small pieces and small pieces left over from larger jobs are what I use for industrial labeling.

Not knocking the tech, but it wasn't the right fit for what I do. I don't run full rolls of anything in one shot. Also not going to run several square feet of vinyl to produce two 4" x 6" labels. Some say it's the cost of doing business with a latex. I can't accept that and wring every last bit of printable area out of every roll I buy.

Every printer has strengths and weaknesses. Buy what fits your business model not what works for someone else.
All this talking about which better Eco-solvent and Latex printers is similar to Windows-macOS systems, Android-iOS smartphones, fuel-electric cars...
Everyone is free to pick the tech, the device and the machine he considers suited for himself and for his business. I like to see people and owners giving advices to others without biasing them. Manufacturers don't care if you like their products or not, only sales figures and profits matters.
I am looking into getting a printer to print vehicle wraps, and arcade graphics. This is more of a hobby/toy for me not a business. I am looking at an Epson SureColor S70670 and HP Design Jet L26500 Latex. They are both previously owned and work great. What should be looking at before purchasing? They both say they can print on Vinyl, however how do you find out what thickness of material they can print on? And also what is the typical thickness of Vinyl for arcade vinyl and vehicle wraps?
I am new to the printing market, also price on these are between 2k and 5K does that seam about right? Looking for the expertise in this forum, do guide me down the correct path. Thanks in advance for your time and answers!
Hey Guys I just wanted to say thanks decided to go with the Epson 40600, found a good deal out there. Almost found a better deal through member on this forum however after more texting it was looking to be scam. 3k If paypal money yesterday, otherwise 4500. when drove down to Houston, Tx....He has had it listed since October 2019.....So anyone looking be careful if dealing with this guy, however his website registration checks out with his name, just different phone number.
Chances are you guys may see some more post from me once I get the printer, however seeing how own IT business, thinking it shouldn't be hard to setup and get going. Just huge thanks to everyone that responded and gave me their opinion....As companies go Epson and HP are both good. I deal with them in my business for computer printers, and Epson makes some nice home theatre projectors as well. Thanks Again!